Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944570 times)

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - A flat yet infinite universe.
« Reply #210 on: April 17, 2012, 04:46:51 pm »

It's almost like the game that looks like Terraria, has mechanics like Terraria, has been shown to play like Terraria, has had screenshots that indicate Terraria-like gameplay and is headed by one of the people who worked on Terraria... is LIKE TERRARIA. Heaven forbid.
Seriously, a bit of skepticism is good every now and again, but there comes a line between skepticism and violating common sense with a rake.

Ah, but one of the things about Starbound that the developers like to stress is that it's not Terraria 2. I was initially quite excited about Cube World, I thought it looked like Minecraft done right, until I realized that you can't actually pick up and place blocks. I was worried Starbound would be a similar case.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 17, 2012, 05:03:38 pm »

Yup, I'll admit I thought the same thing back at the beginning of this thread. "Oh, looks like a more expansive Terraria, cool. Oh wait it's just the same artist, how much of the gameplay's similar? Can you break blocks?" I don't even really remember when I knew for sure there would be Terraria-like gameplay, but I think there was direct mention of it in the IRC Q&A they did a while back.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 17, 2012, 06:16:30 pm »

I'm fine with it being like Terraria, at least a bit. The point is the extra stuff beyond picking up and putting down blocks in the ground is the real meat of the game. Plus, planets are supposed to be disposable enough to where there's no gameplay reason to settle down on one and just build a giant fort. Even though that's what I'm going to do.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #213 on: April 17, 2012, 06:28:10 pm »

I'm fine with it being like Terraria, at least a bit. The point is the extra stuff beyond picking up and putting down blocks in the ground is the real meat of the game. Plus, planets are supposed to be disposable enough to where there's no gameplay reason to settle down on one and just build a giant fort. Even though that's what I'm going to do.
I'm hoping there IS a gameplay reason to settle planets though. NPC housing requirements, harvesting materials, etc. I mean there is technically no gameplay reason to build a house in minecraft either. You could make a dirt box around the spawn point and do nothing at all, endlessly respawning forever when you die of hunger.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 17, 2012, 06:33:21 pm »

Yeah, it's kinda assumed that you're going to build stuff in these games. They have no plot, no objective, but give you lots of tools to build stuff with.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 17, 2012, 06:43:43 pm »

I mean there is technically no gameplay reason to build a house in minecraft either. You could make a dirt box around the spawn point and do nothing at all, endlessly respawning forever when you die of hunger.

The gameplay reason for building in Minecraft is because its *the point* of the game :P
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 17, 2012, 06:45:51 pm »

Ngh? Yeah, it's been dev-stated there's intended to be reasons to settle down on a planet or two; there's going to be more NPCs than you have room for on your station, mainly. So you'll have good reason to build up a little on a planet or two to get whatever benefit comes from having that excess meat laying around.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #217 on: April 17, 2012, 06:48:25 pm »

I mean there is technically no gameplay reason to build a house in minecraft either. You could make a dirt box around the spawn point and do nothing at all, endlessly respawning forever when you die of hunger.
The gameplay reason for doing that is because its *the point* of the game :P
That isn't a gameplay reason. A gameplay reason would be like in Terraria, you build a house to spawn an NPC. Minecraft has no gameplay reason at all to do anything beyond find food and build a dirt wall. A two tile dirt wall will stop every mob in the game, and a small plot of tilled earth will feed you forever. Once you have your two tile high wall and a small plot of earth, you're all set. You could go mining down for some diamonds and eventually top out at diamond tier equipment, and now you have won.

I'm hoping there will be unique bonuses to settling planets as well. Researching different plants and animals, maybe engineering new ones, setting up factories, that sort of thing

At least in terraria, clowns will wreck your shit next bloodmoon if you just sit behind a dirt wall. :P

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 17, 2012, 06:50:51 pm »

Also, yeah, re: story: Check the game's about page. Story is intended~

E: Actually, just check the about page anyway. I hadn't noticed those awesome screenshots in there.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 06:58:04 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 17, 2012, 06:52:19 pm »

At least in terraria, clowns will wreck your shit next bloodmoon if you just sit behind a dirt wall. :P

Not if you construct it cleverly enough. ;)

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 17, 2012, 06:59:45 pm »

The gameplay reason for doing that is because its *the point* of the game :P
That isn't a gameplay reason. A gameplay reason would be like in Terraria, you build a house to spawn an NPC. Minecraft has no gameplay reason at all to do anything beyond find food and build a dirt wall. A two tile dirt wall will stop every mob in the game, and a small plot of tilled earth will feed you forever. Once you have your two tile high wall and a small plot of earth, you're all set. You could go mining down for some diamonds and eventually top out at diamond tier equipment, and now you have won.
Well, if you do that then your kinda doing minecraft wrong. In Minecraft the main focus of the game is to collect resources and build awesome structures that really have no real "point", as they end up being their own reward. The Diamonds and Iron you collect are only there to help you collect resources.

But this isn't the minecraft thread, so lets drop this now before we end up derailing the whole thread.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #221 on: April 17, 2012, 07:21:21 pm »

your kinda doing minecraft wrong.

You... you just made my day. I'm somehow playing a sandbox game wrong. I hope I'm not doing terraria wrong too! Maybe I should check with you for the approved method of play.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 17, 2012, 07:29:32 pm »

So, actually related to the topic...

I recall reading in one of their dev chats or logs that you can re-shape terrain, drastically, to make room for structures that can be either prefabricated or manually designed. That, and there is certainly at least something of a coherent back-plot, including planets generated specifically for story-based missions.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 17, 2012, 07:35:33 pm »

You... you just made my day. I'm somehow playing a sandbox game wrong. I hope I'm not doing terraria wrong too! Maybe I should check with you for the approved method of play.
Ok then, if you want to live in your tiny 3x3 dirt hut and powergame through Minecraft's sub-par Combat system to get the the nonsensical ending then thats fine.

Still, this is the Starbound Thread. Not the Minecraft thread. Lets cut it now.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 07:39:59 pm by Johnfalcon99977 »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #224 on: April 17, 2012, 07:42:50 pm »

Ok then, if you want to live in your tiny 3x3 dirt hut and powergame through Minecraft's sub-par Combat system to get the the nonsensical ending then thats fine.

Still, this is the Starbound Thread. Not the Minecraft thread. Lets cut it now.
You're the one who's going on about it. >.>

So, actually related to the topic...

I recall reading in one of their dev chats or logs that you can re-shape terrain, drastically, to make room for structures that can be either prefabricated or manually designed. That, and there is certainly at least something of a coherent back-plot, including planets generated specifically for story-based missions.
See, this sounds awesome and excellent gameplay. Plot, missions, objectives... something to drive the game forward. Something Terraria lacked a bit. All you had there was a guide spouting various facts. Not that I disliked Terraria.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 565