Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Berlusconi  (Read 4200 times)

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Berlusconi
« on: November 12, 2011, 06:29:57 pm »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-15708729

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Berlusconi
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 06:33:07 pm »

Good riddance. Although I think it's been clear for a few days now that his exit was impending.

Any dibs on how long before prosecutors indict him, now that he loses judicial immunity?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 06:39:16 pm »

He never had judicial immunity, he got by with friends and amendments to annoying laws.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 06:46:04 pm »

How does a Italian parliament work?
If someone steps down they can put in someone else from the party as PM on the spot?
Thank you based dwarf.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 06:49:34 pm »

How does a Italian parliament work?
If someone steps down they can put in someone else from the party as PM on the spot?

They bunga bunga for it, survivor gets to lead the government.  That's how Berlusconi stayed in power so long.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 06:57:16 pm »

An Italian colleague of mine will be more than pleased to hear this. He left his country in part because of Berlusconi's policies. Saying that some of the reforms are similar but worse than the things Berlusconi did.

They bunga bunga for it, survivor gets to lead the government.  That's how Berlusconi stayed in power so long.
Much like the UK by the sounds of it. I was surprised at how many people didn't realise you don't elect the PM but the party back when everyone was after Gordon Brown.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 07:07:11 pm »

That's probably the result of having a 2-party system though, as the vote breakdown among parties becomes more evident in countries with more parties (such as those on mainland Europe)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 07:35:35 pm »

Interesting you should say that considering a third party is currently in government here...

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 07:36:38 pm »

The UK has been a two-party state for so long you explicitly had to mention the existence of a third party ;)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 07:37:53 pm »

The Liberal-Democrats are in power in the UK?  Well what has that power sharing gotten them?  A referendum that failed (thanks to the conservatives).  What else?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 07:54:03 pm »

The UK has been a two-party state for so long you explicitly had to mention the existence of a third party ;)
I, uh... what?

The Liberal-Democrats are in power in the UK?  Well what has that power sharing gotten them?  A referendum that failed (thanks to the conservatives).  What else?
Mostly it's just blunting whatever the Conservatives wanted (on most issues) - the nature of a junior partner in a coalition is generally gonna be blocking some things rather than proposing a lot of their own stuff.  Although there is the gay marriage stuff going through.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2011, 08:17:17 pm »

I, uh... what?
Excuse me if I'm wrong, but hasn't the UK been a two-party state for very long? The way people think doesn't change overnight you know.

Tapeworm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2011, 08:20:29 pm »

Huh, Berlusconi actually left. I wasn't sure if he'd actually go through with it.

@Leafsnail: How did they get that one past the Conservatives? I don't recall them being very liberal on that issue.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2011, 08:30:20 pm »

Well... no, not really.  Jokes aside, the Liberal Democrats have had a non-negligable degree of representation/ share of the vote for a good while, and are now in government.  There are also a total of 10 parties represented in the Commons (...well, 9 if you don't count the party that abstains from every vote).

...Anyway, back to Berlusconi.  Somehow I feel I will miss the endless stream of hilarious news from him.

Fakeedit:
@Leafsnail: How did they get that one past the Conservatives? I don't recall them being very liberal on that issue.
Mostly it'll help boost David Cameron's claim that he's changed his mind on gay rights (since he voted against getting rid of Section 28 in 2000). I'm not sure whether he's genuinely had a change of heart or if it's part of a ploy to make the Conservatives more electable next time, but either way backing gay marriage seems like a good move for him.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 02:16:51 am »

...Anyway, back to Berlusconi.  Somehow I feel I will miss the endless stream of hilarious news from him.

Indeed this. Today I mourn, for a great source of lulz has left us. I guess the Italians are happy the world will stop laughing at/feeling embarrassed for their leaders and can finally start rebuilding their reputation again.

Mostly though, I'm happy he's finally going away too. Well, kind of going. He's too big a player to just disappear unless he wants to. He still has his media empire, for one. Some guy were theorising he might try for the presidency instead. In time, at least. Or maybe he'll just try to pull strings from behind the scenes
Love, scriver~
Pages: [1] 2