Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: EA Origin vs. Steam, Round Two: FIGHT! IN THIS BATTLE: EA greps your entire PC!  (Read 15280 times)

Xegeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So THIS is why EA wanted to pull all of its titles off of Steam a few months ago. It makes sense now, dang.

I'm still steering clear of this if I can. I wouldn't put it past EA to try to slip Origin into patches of older games, though there's no proof they'll do that. Call me biased towards Steam if you will, but they're reliable and Steam already has my money.

They've already started installing it with patches. I've seen two computers now where it installed during updating The Sims 3.

The Mechanical Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Brian Steelhelm the Disciplined
    • View Profile

(did not read the whole thread)

One thing here, is that right now there is no Origin vs. Steam competition going on. Origin only has EA exclusive titles- that's not competition. And the chances of Steam users switching over to Origin are super slim. From what I read, most people don't like having to manage two programs like that. Who would want some of their games on Steam and others on Origin?

So far the only good thing Origin has going for it is that you can get free keys for Origin if you have certain EA games on Steam, meaning you basically get a second copy for free.
Quote from: XxoriginxX
The upside is that I have meat stores at around 1200 units now. And the bones... oh, the sweet, sweet bones...

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

Who would want some of their games on Steam and others on Origin?

People who want EA exclusives and games available on Steam. You're right that there should be no competition unless they have overlap in titles, but if people have to choose one or the other then yes, there is competition.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile

So... I bought Dragon Age 1 + expansion on retail, does this mean I'm forced to install Origin next time I reinstall and patch? D:

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile

Blah.  I'm sad that Maxis and BioWare have to suffer because of EA's risky (foolish) decisions here...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

Bioware is already hopelessly doomed. EA bought it and another developing company at the same time, with the plan being that they would develop say 10 games making over $X with over Y amount of time (yeah, I don't remember any of the actual numbers), but then they took the other company down, leaving Bioware with having to make the double amount of games in half the time - and they still have to be successful. You could see how rushed they were with Dragon Age II, that was basically just the bones of a Bioware game.

At best, they would've stopped making RPGs and become action-only (which both DAII and MEII show signs of, and from what I know MEIII looks even more so), at worst EA would've put them down as well.
Love, scriver~

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile

EA and Activision would make good bedmates, with the putting down companies that make them money.

Talvara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

well... no more EA games for me, My girlfriend is going to be sad when I won't let her play the sims on my laptop :P I wonder what happens with EA games you own on steam... will they also install Origin? it seems a little odd that one service would install another service that is sort of a competitor

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

well... no more EA games for me, My girlfriend is going to be sad when I won't let her play the sims on my laptop :P I wonder what happens with EA games you own on steam... will they also install Origin? it seems a little odd that one service would install another service that is sort of a competitor

ONLINE DISCLAIMER
INTERNET CONNECTION, ONLINE AUTHENTICATION AND ACCEPTANCE OF END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT REQUIRED TO PLAY. YOU MUST REGISTER THE GAME WITH ENCLOSED SERIAL CODE. GAME USES CONTENT ACTIVATION CONTENT PROTECTION TECHNOLOGY BY SONY DADC AUSTRIA AG. BY INSTALLING THIS SOFTWARE, ANY SECUROM CONTENT PROTECTION TECHNOLOGY THAT PROTECTED YOUR BASE GAME WILL BE REMOVED AND REPLACED BY CONTENT ACTIVATION. SEE END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT AVAILABLE AT www.ea.com FOR DETAILS. GAME CAN BE PLAYED ON UP TO FIVE COMPUTERS; USERS CAN MANAGE WHICH COMPUTERS ARE AUTHORIZED OR DE-AUTHORIZED TO PLAY GAME. VISIT http://activate.ea.com/deauthorize/ FOR MORE INFORMATION ON DE-AUTHORIZATION.

That is from the steam store...  Sims: Medieval
If I read that right, EA games on Steam are safe... for now?  Might want to check back after they get Origin moving...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

EA has issued a revised Origin's EULA. It doesn't read substantially different, but, it does have an entire section specifying what data they will seek and what their intent on using it is, stating clearly that will not sell information that personally identifies users to 3rd parties.

http://pc.gamespy.com/articles/119/1191030p1.html

You can read the whole EULA PDF here.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That is from the steam store...  Sims: Medieval
Oh, wow, I thought you were making a joke example. That's ridiculous.
Why does EA think they can improve their profits with something like this? They should've learned the lesson of Games for Windows Live.
I don't have anything against this service. If EA had a game I wanted to buy, I'd still get it. It just seems like Origin isn't going to benefit anyone.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]