Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187746 times)

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]
« Reply #2805 on: January 31, 2011, 05:21:03 am »

What about the presence of gods inside this universe?
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2806 on: January 31, 2011, 05:22:35 am »

Never happened, no way, not once. He didn't move a single bosen.
 :D

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2807 on: January 31, 2011, 05:24:41 am »

That would probably mean no "outside of time", and no omnipotence. Then it's just a matter of drawing the line of godhood somewhere, in which case it's even an attainable status for mankind.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2808 on: January 31, 2011, 05:27:43 am »

But what about all those bits where gods and other such powers directly interact with the world, even walk about and talk to people? There are historical accounts of such things occurring, in just about every culture and from every time period, right up to the modern day.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2809 on: January 31, 2011, 05:29:48 am »

But what about all those bits where gods and other such powers directly interact with the world, even walk about and talk to people? There are historical accounts of such things occurring, in just about every culture and from every time period, right up to the modern day.
Coincidence. Hallucinations. Delusions. Straight out lies.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2810 on: January 31, 2011, 05:31:36 am »

Because that means that all divine scriptures and messages are null.

Depends, some of the ideas in some of the various books are good, and well written from people that have considered the moral grounds. But yes it's all written by people at some point in the past.

Of course I say they are good, but I've only read modern translations, which we know differ considerably to the originals, so maybe the good ideas come from the translators. Not that it makes much difference either way.

There aren't any historical accounts, plenty of myth and stories of course but we've all seen how things that are clearly untrue become 'common knowledge'
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2811 on: January 31, 2011, 05:36:20 am »

How solipsist of you. That's a whole lot of lies and trippin' going on there.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2812 on: January 31, 2011, 05:42:27 am »

Oh come on, this is silly.

Next thing you know you'll be saying that the ancient polytheistic Canaanite pantheon was manipulated into monotheism by priests of the local war god in order to grow nationalism and quash rival religious and political factions.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2813 on: January 31, 2011, 05:45:55 am »

How solipsist of you. That's a whole lot of lies and trippin' going on there.
I think Shade-o wants somebody to say some specific phrase, so he can counter with a prepaired argument. As such I am trying to say what he wants me to say so he can say what he wants to say.

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2814 on: January 31, 2011, 05:47:44 am »

Next thing you know you'll be saying that the ancient polytheistic Canaanite pantheon was manipulated into monotheism by priests of the local war god in order to grow nationalism and quash rival religious and political factions.

Ummmmm... That sort of thing happened a lot back then.
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

Shambling Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2815 on: January 31, 2011, 05:50:16 am »

I -really- hope nobody actually thinks that being damned to Hell is only 'subjectively' a harsh punishment for eating an apple, or comparable to not being able to watch Dora on TV.

Secondly, why would an omniscient being of unlimited power and intelligence not know what would happen, even if we were a secondary model? That makes no sense.

By "Everything", I'm pretty sure I mean -everything-. As in, all things past, present and future in all possible dimensions, timelines, creations and possibilities, be they Prime creation or secondary model. Without exception, ever. Anything less is not all-seeing or all-knowing, because then you're not 'seeing everything' and 'knowing everything'.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2816 on: January 31, 2011, 05:52:10 am »

Good thing none of those shambling patchwork zombie religions never became popular.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2817 on: January 31, 2011, 05:53:00 am »

Actually one priest, called bob, a very persuasive guy that one.

Besides which did they actually convert, I thought they had the whole worship one god, acknowledge others thing going on. I admit to my knowledge of the time period to be limited.

I -really- hope nobody actually thinks that being damned to Hell is only 'subjectively' a harsh punishment for eating an apple, or comparable to not being able to watch Dora on TV.

Of course it's harsh, that is the point. Ideally you want your followers to trust what you tell them and not think for themselves and overly excessive punishments is the way to achieve that, eventually you'll breed those that think themselves out. Drones are very useful as a workforce.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Shambling Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2818 on: January 31, 2011, 05:53:23 am »

Good thing none of those shambling patchwork zombie religions never became popular.

Lol, indeed.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2819 on: January 31, 2011, 06:03:31 am »

I think Shade-o wants somebody to say some specific phrase, so he can counter with a prepaired argument. As such I am trying to say what he wants me to say so he can say what he wants to say.
How nice of you :)

I do the exact opposite, all the time, just to frustrate childish inquiries. I wonder what Jesus would've done.

You don't remember being 2 yrs old. Point is that people suffering in Hell would say: "War, murder, rape, torture? You call that stuff tragedy? Hahahaha!"
Although they probably wouldn't really be laughing at all.
And then there may be even worse stuff than eternal Hell, you (or they) just can't imagine it. It's all just another step up.

Secondly, why would an omniscient being of unlimited power and intelligence not know what would happen, even if we were a secondary model? That makes no sense.

By "Everything", I'm pretty sure I mean -everything-. As in, all things past, present and future in all possible dimensions, timelines, creations and possibilities, be they Prime creation or secondary model. Without exception, ever. Anything less is not all-seeing or all-knowing, because then you're not 'seeing everything' and 'knowing everything'.
That's an unworkable definition, let me show you:

Then you include everything you don't know exists into "everything", up to and including "nothing" and all hypothetical worlds, creatures, and invisible pink fluffy unicorns dancing on rainbows. Including something outside of everything, which is then included into everything, ad infinitum. There's no finite boundary on where it ends.

God can do that. How about our universe is simulated by a stonelayer who is simulated by a computer who is simulated in the mind of a fishbeast who is simulated in the dream of a giant turtle etc ad inifitum, and we call that whole infinite stack of simulations "God"? To have presicence, at any level, it can simulate a model, or the level above can let his model simulate a model. There's no finite boundary where it stops or starts knowing everything. Because as soon as one level know everything about all levels below, it does not know about his own level. There's however a level above who does.

Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 194