Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187810 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]
« Reply #2775 on: January 30, 2011, 11:38:57 pm »

~Snip~
Fun fact: Not all metaphores are true.
A parent may be forced to accept the mistakes a child will make, because both the cild and the parent will age, no matter what the parent does. So the parent may decide that some lessons are best learnt the hard way in order to better prepair the child for the illusive 'real world'.

God, however, as far as any bible storys tell, was not forced to accept such a reality, but rather made it out of spite for the actions of the child.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: January 31, 2011, 12:37:44 am »

So much of the argument here is coming from people that think it would be cruel or heartless for the Abrahamic god to know what Adam and Eve would do, and yet let them do it anyway even facilitating to provide the setting necessary for it to happen.

Again, I bring up human childrearing.  as a parent you cannot protect your children from everything.  You know without any doubt that they are going to be hurt.

For example.  Are you being cruel by buying your child a bike?  You know that when the training wheels come off, they are certainly going to fall at least a few times.  But you accept this, knowing that a skinned knee or elbow, maybe even a broken bone might be the result of your gift of the bike.  Similarly, if the Abrahamic god considers itself to be a father figure to humanity, then it is the responsibility of the Abrahamic god to allow us to grow as a race.

Almost everyone knows at least one or two people that were or are spoiled completely rotten.  Imagine an entire race of humans with that attitude looking to the Abrahamic god for their daily needs.  If the Abrahamic god prevented humans from experiencing trajedy, we would not grow as a race, or as individuals.
No, your not cruel by buying your child a bike, even if they get hurt. You would be cruel if you told your kid not to fall off, and he fell off anyways (even though its his first time) so you beat him and abandone him by the side of the road.
The problem is the huge disproportionate punishment that the abrahamic god inflicted on humanity, not the fact that he knew that they were going to eat from the tree of knowledge.

And sure maybe tragedy is necessary, but i don't see how original sin makes people grow as individuals (besides the eternity in hell i suppose).
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: January 31, 2011, 12:42:47 am »

I am puzzled how some can say that God is omnipresent, omnipotent and omniscient, and yet somehow doesn't know what we would do? If he -doesn't- know everything about everything, past, present and future then that means he doesn't fit the bill as all-knowing. Instead, just lots-knowing.
Apparently, he's also omni-ignorant.

Demon Cat: Hello, Frank the human boy.
Finn: (GASP!) How did you almost know my name?!
Demon Cat: I have approximate knowledge of many things!

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: January 31, 2011, 01:53:21 am »

Technically, God has never sent anyone to hell at all.
Hell is mearly the absence of God, so he is not sending you somewhere, just not letting you in because he can't stand your imperfection.
Or at least, that is how I enterpret what I heard when I went to church.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: January 31, 2011, 02:15:22 am »

Hell is mearly the absence of God, so he is not sending you somewhere, just not letting you in because he can't stand your imperfection.
Yeah, hell is merely the absence of god (which doesn't actually make sence, isn't god omnipresent?). But no, god judges the soul, and either condemns them to hell or lets them into heaven (or purgatory, but i don't think that is really big a concept right now).

Looking on the wikipedia, i found this
Quote from: Hell in the New Testament
The most common New Testament term translated as "hell" is γέεννα (gehenna), a direct loan of Hebrew ge-hinnom. Apart from one use in James 3:6, this term is found exclusively in the synoptic gospels.[18][19][20] Gehenna is most frequently described as a place of fiery torment (e.g. Matthew 5:22, 18:8-9; Mark 9:43-49) although other passages mention darkness and "weeping and gnashing of teeth" (e.g. Matthew 8:12; 22:13).[19]

Apart from the use of the term gehenna (translated as "hell" in all English translations of the bible), the Johannine writings refer to the destiny of the wicked in terms of "perishing", "death" and "condemnation" or "judgment". St. Paul speaks of "wrath" and "everlasting destruction" (cf. Romans 2:7-9; 2 Thessalonians 1:9), while the general epistles use a range of terms and images including "raging fire" (Hebrews 10:27), "destruction" (2 Peter 3:7), "eternal fire" (Jude 7) and "blackest darkness" (Jude 13). The Book of Revelation contains the image of a "lake of fire" and "burning sulphur" where "the devil, the beast, and false prophets" will be "tormented day and night for ever and ever" (Revelation 20:10) along with those who worship the beast or receive its mark (Revelation 14:11).[21]

The New Testament also uses the Greek word hades, usually to refer to the abode of the dead (e.g. Acts 2:31; Revelation 20:13).[5] Only one passage describes hades as a place of torment, the parable of Lazarus and Dives (Luke 16:19-31). Jesus here depicts a wicked man suffering fiery torment in hades, which is contrasted with the bosom of Abraham, and explains that it is impossible to cross over from one to the other. Some scholars believe that this parable reflects the intertestamental Jewish view of hades (or sheol) as containing separate divisions for the wicked and righteous.[5][21] In Revelation 20:13-14 hades is itself thrown into the "lake of fire" after being emptied of the dead.
That seems to mesh with the "firery hell" theme that was popular in the middle ages. So it seems that hell isn't just the absence of god.

EDIT: i thought that jesus dying on the cross erased original sin, looking at the wikipedia article that might not be the case/ might be wrong. Could someone give me a link/quote saying otherwise (or confirm that jesus dying didn't erase original sin)?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 02:18:44 am by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: January 31, 2011, 02:20:50 am »

That is definitely one of the theological division points. The literal interpretation of hell's fire is just the most known because its proponents are the loudest. There are even some who don't even believe hell is a permanent place of punishment, but a temporary refining fire.

That seems to mesh with the "firery hell" theme that was popular in the middle ages. So it seems that hell isn't just the absence of god.
It's pretty awesome that Christians all believe the same thing and that there are absolutely no conflicting views on the subject itself from within the many hundreds of branches. :)
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Shambling Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: January 31, 2011, 02:24:07 am »

I somehow doubt that God allows all the pain, suffering, strife and even the eternal damnation of billions of humans just to make humanity more well-rounded people by allowing them to experience tragedy.

That's pretty poor parenting by most standards.

Humanity is extremely imperfect, but it does seem strange to create us that way then shun us for that very attribute.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: January 31, 2011, 02:27:02 am »

That is definitely one of the theological division points. The literal interpretation of hell's fire is just the most known because its proponents are the loudest. There are even some who don't even believe hell is a permanent place of punishment, but a temporary refining fire.
Back, when I was a slightly more beleiving person then I am now, I always held the beleif that god wouldn't just let people to burn, and if you repent in hell, you still get into heaven. I then continued to reason that I, as a mortal man, may very well come to this earler conculsion on the basis that it was a free pass out of hell, something rather desirabe. I then reasoned that by questioning my own conculsions, I must be a good enough person to not be so selfish in my interpratation of hell. I then continued to reason that I may just think that way because it gives my free pass back to me.

Then I turned agnostic, and my thought process got a lot less recurcive.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2783 on: January 31, 2011, 02:33:05 am »

Back, when I was a slightly more beleiving person then I am now, I always held the beleif that god wouldn't just let people to burn, and if you repent in hell, you still get into heaven. I then continued to reason that I, as a mortal man, may very well come to this earler conculsion on the basis that it was a free pass out of hell, something rather desirabe. I then reasoned that by questioning my own conculsions, I must be a good enough person to not be so selfish in my interpratation of hell. I then continued to reason that I may just think that way because it gives my free pass back to me.

Then I turned agnostic, and my thought process got a lot less recurcive.
And then without the proper recursive algorithms your program crashed when it couldn't access memory at the correct point, and your brain segfaulted.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: January 31, 2011, 02:35:53 am »

Since then I have been this way.
*Sob*
I miss you scruffy logic!

Shambling Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: January 31, 2011, 02:38:47 am »

Scruffy logic...

*Imagines the statue of The Thinker, with a big busy beard*

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: January 31, 2011, 02:39:18 am »

Scruffy logic is dead, Max White. He went off to a wonderful place in the sky, with lots of other logics where he will be very happy.
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: January 31, 2011, 03:40:25 am »

So, what's everybody's favourite Semitic god? I would say Melqart because Carthage and Tyre were awesome.

(Egyptian and Mesopotamian also acceptable, I guess)
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2788 on: January 31, 2011, 04:23:05 am »

I am puzzled how some can say that God is omnipresent, omnipotent and omniscient, and yet somehow doesn't know what we would do? If he -doesn't- know everything about everything, past, present and future then that means he doesn't fit the bill as all-knowing. Instead, just lots-knowing.
He would know the future because he is omniscient. omniscience means he knows everything, all the time, and since the future is part of everything, he would know the future without having to calculate it.
If you did have to calculate it, you wouldn't be omniscient.
Take the stonelayer, he isn't omniscient, he merely knows everything that is happening in the present, and given enough time, can model the future.
You misunderstand "Everything" and "Time". Since both the stonelayers' timeline and his world are completely undetectable to us, he is essentially out of our time and dimension (which is merely a simulation anyway). If he wishes, he can stop our universe, make a new one to see what happens next, and then continue with ours, and we wouldn't miss a picosecond. Essentially, he'll know in an instant what will happen to us, but maybe we're not the real, first people but the model he just started, in which case he won't know what will happen to us, but there's no way of telling.
Omniscience, omnipotence and time relate only to this universe.

The stonelayer is even compatible with our Abrahamic God. He can make an avatar with a long beard in the sky if he wants to. Including souls, heaven, and who knows what else. God is the ultimate black box, you can't possibly try to reverse engineer that. (Why do people keep trying?)

That's pretty poor parenting by most standards.
Not really. To you, tragedy is war, murder, torture. To my 2 yr old it's not being allowed to watch Dora on TV. Tragedy is entirely subjective, and "punishment" is almost always too harsh, in the view of the punishee.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 04:29:56 am by Siquo »

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: January 31, 2011, 04:45:56 am »

That's fine and all, but what makes it any more than speculation?
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 194