Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187800 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]
« Reply #2730 on: January 29, 2011, 08:26:14 pm »

nah, god is lawfull good, but also a minmaxer who chose intelligence and wisdom as dumpstats
Still, kick ass charisma! You should see he's bluffs.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #2731 on: January 29, 2011, 08:30:46 pm »

nah, god is lawfull good, but also a minmaxer who chose intelligence and wisdom as dumpstats
Still, kick ass charisma! You should see he's bluffs.
So God is a sorcerer then?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: January 29, 2011, 08:32:01 pm »

So God is a sorcerer then?
Na, he is a ranger, just a poorly built one.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: January 29, 2011, 08:35:33 pm »

Chaotic Neutral might make more sense, since it allows for all the random and unexplained actions, and inexplicable swings between good and evil.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Shambling Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2734 on: January 29, 2011, 08:39:50 pm »

He's got the Leadership feat too apparently, and with his level and high Charisma, that's a lot of followers.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: January 29, 2011, 08:43:09 pm »

He's got the Leadership feat too apparently, and with his level and high Charisma, that's a lot of followers.
Also, due to some cross classing, he has a tad of illusinist going on. It's a mess of statistics realy.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: January 29, 2011, 08:51:49 pm »

Gnome Thief/Illusionist?
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Shambling Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: January 29, 2011, 09:12:55 pm »

Ok, going back on-topic.

Does anyone really think the mass genocide of -every species- on Earth save a few selected individuals could have a 'good' reason?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: January 29, 2011, 09:14:18 pm »

Ok, going back on-topic.

Does anyone really think the mass genocide of -every species- on Earth save a few selected individuals could have a 'good' reason?
It killed off all those 10 legged spiders. Nasty little things they were! Glad they were destroyed.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: January 29, 2011, 09:28:45 pm »

Ok, going back on-topic.

It killed off all those 10 legged spiders. Nasty little things they were! Glad they were destroyed.

In b4 Solifuge.

EDIT: In seriousness, my answer to the question posed is, "No, because our definitions of 'good' are different from those in the minds of the people who wrote and/or edited the Bible. Whether you think that's evidence God can't exist because the influence of those people apparently overrode His will, or evidence that the Bible is not the Literal Word of God because it's not universally applicable to all moralities, but still has important Truths, is probably a much more deeply-rooted position than this one question."
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 09:30:56 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: January 29, 2011, 11:19:08 pm »

Original sin was removed when God sacrificed himself to himself to save the future humans he damned back when the first two ate from the tree he put next to them because they were tricked by the evil snake that he also put next to them.

Which is why babies get to go to heaven now.
If god is omnipotent, then it follows that he would know the future (as is supported by having prophecy in the bible), so god told them not to eat from the tree of knowledge, already knowing that they were destined to eat from it (unless he intervened in some way) and that the snake would tempt them into doing it), so yeah, it is all kinda gods fault.

A lot of parents, when their children become teenagers, choose to set some limits they expect to be violated.  Curfew, chores, things along those lines.  In the Abrahamic tradition, God certainly knew that Adam and Eve would be seduced into eating from the tree.  However, he didn't simply tell them "I know you will sin so I'm kicking you out of the garden before you actually do it."  He told them what the limits were, and when they (inevitably) chose to violate them, he punished them.
  Clarifying a bit in that vein, punishing your child for not taking out the trash or coming home late before they actually do it would be terribly counterproductive, even though you KNOW they eventually will mess up.  You tell them what you expect, and when they violate those expectations without a VERY good reason, you punish them.

Seems logically straightforward to me based on human psychology, and the Abrahamic God's omniscience.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Shambling Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: January 29, 2011, 11:31:29 pm »

Logical would actually be putting an impassable fence around the tree. Just because someone's stupid enough to drink and drive doesn't mean you have to hand them a six-pack and say 'if they die it's not my fault'.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: January 30, 2011, 12:51:06 am »

God gave both Adam and Eve chances to come clean. Instead they both decided to hide their mistakes, and when confronted, blame others for their actions. Adam blamed Eve, Eve blamed the snake. Both were clothed with garments of their own making, like a child who suddenly thought "maybe Dad won't notice that I broke the cookie jar if I put this blanket over it!"

Man thought he could fix things with glue and tape instead of simple honesty, and coming clean that he had done what he was told not to. That is the original sin. The tree was simply there as something that is tempting. If the same story were to be made today it would be the Tree of the Infinite Orgasms. The fact that the primary temptation was knowledge, should, in my opinion, be seen in a positive context, as a sign that at one time humanity's greatest longing was for more knowledge.

Because it sure ain't that today.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Shambling Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: January 30, 2011, 01:40:02 am »

Hmm... that really doesn't change the point though, does it? Surely he knew they would lie, as well?

I guess I'm stuck on the whole "if you follow the urges I placed within you, I'll throw you in a lake of fire to burn forever" thing. It doesn't make sense that He punishes people for things that He sees happening, has full power to stop, and yet does nothing.
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 194