Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187798 times)

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]
« Reply #2685 on: January 28, 2011, 07:41:56 pm »

Unless you count whatever happens to your body.

I personally hope to be encased inside a bronze statue of myself. Most of the effects only come through in a situation where civilisation has turned to a primitive state, possibly after an apocalypse.

+Really impressive
+Extremely durable
+Preserves body in mummified state
+Inspires worshippers
+False historical influence

-Possibly encased while still alive
-Melted down to use in tools
-Could just be buried in rubble

Some sort of marble tomb would also be good.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2686 on: January 28, 2011, 07:44:08 pm »

No you don't, the premise is wrong. Eventually you're going to run up against physical limits beyond which there is no measuring. You may believe there's nothing beyond that point, because it's unmeasurable, but we've passed many of those points (where we believed there wasn't anything smaller) already within Science. Eventually, we'll have to continue without it.
Uh, reread what I said.  It'll still be an estimate (although one that's more than accurate enough for all reasonable uses of it) but we DO have an explanation for why copper has that resistivity.  Just because you can't get to some kind of arbitrary absolutely true value (which could easily have infinite, non repeating figures, like the large majority of numbers) doesn't mean you can't understand what's going on.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2687 on: January 28, 2011, 10:42:35 pm »

I'm just going to pop in here, drop my thoughts on the subject, and skip town.

(Ignore this if the thread isn't for general religious stuff along with atheism.)
I was born a jew, and refuse to be converted to Christianity for the simple fact that by my definitions, the standard evangelist is a hypocrite, and a terrorist. Now before you rage post about how that can't possibly be true, think about it.

First, the more extreme of the two. Terrorism. So, Wikipedia defines terrorism as follows:
Terrorism is the systematic use of terror especially as a means of coercion.
Now, how is the main way evangelists attempt to "coerce" you into converting? "You'll burn in hell." Now, that sounds pretty damn threatening to me, perhaps even terror causing. See where I'm going?

Now, for hypocrisy. They try to force their laws on you, including, unless I'm mistaken, the Ten Commandments. What is one of them? What roughly translates to "Pray to no one but me". Who do they pray to? Jesus.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2688 on: January 28, 2011, 10:49:07 pm »

Yes, but they believe that Jesus is God, as well as being the son of God.
Or at least, that is what Christians in my family believe.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2689 on: January 28, 2011, 10:49:31 pm »

Who do they pray to? Jesus.
So close, why did you have to throw that onto the end?

No, they do not pray to Jesus, in fact Jesus said it was wrong to pray to him, you should pray to the god of the bible.

Shambling Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2690 on: January 28, 2011, 11:20:59 pm »

I wouldn't exactly go so far as to call evangelicals terroists, more just annoying. Then again, where I live there's not many of them, so I don't have a lot of experience, either positive or negative, with them.

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2691 on: January 29, 2011, 02:25:02 am »

One of the things I have against missionaries is the fact that in the bible God gave Man free will, for better or for worse, and they force native peoples to accept their beliefs. They are saying that they are better than their own god. THAT is hypocrisy.
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2692 on: January 29, 2011, 03:15:18 am »

Plus, without knowledge of God they cannot be judged because of their ignorance, but once enlightened they are free to be damned.

So really, the only thing spreading the word achieves is sending people to hell.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

CoughDrop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2693 on: January 29, 2011, 04:39:06 am »

Plus, without knowledge of God they cannot be judged because of their ignorance, but once enlightened they are free to be damned.

So really, the only thing spreading the word achieves is sending people to hell.

I've heard from somewhere that children that die before they know what god is go to heaven. So wouldn't a truly selfless Christian go around murdering babies before Satan has a chance to get a hold on them?

Actually researching how that works is more than likely to bring up some major contradictions so I'm not even going to bother.
"It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think yours is the only path."

Shambling Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2694 on: January 29, 2011, 04:51:57 am »

There's Original Sin, which apparently we are all born with.

How the morbid idea that we're all born with the taint of sin on our souls even before we take our first breath ever become popular, I don't know. Thankfully I don't think all Christians think this way anymore.

As for what happens to my body after I die, I don't really care too much to be honest. Cremation if I had to choose, just because I find the idea of some researcher digging me up in 1000 years time to see how we lived back then, and then sticking my skull in a nice numbered box in some dark archive a bit undignified and creepy.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2695 on: January 29, 2011, 05:12:17 am »

Original sin was removed when God sacrificed himself to himself to save the future humans he damned back when the first two ate from the tree he put next to them because they were tricked by the evil snake that he also put next to them.

Which is why babies get to go to heaven now.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2696 on: January 29, 2011, 05:23:10 am »

Original sin was removed when God sacrificed himself to himself to save the future humans he damned back when the first two ate from the tree he put next to them because they were tricked by the evil snake that he also put next to them.

If god is omnipotent, then it follows that he would know the future (as is supported by having prophecy in the bible), so god told them not to eat from the tree of knowledge, already knowing that they were destined to eat from it (unless he intervened in some way) and that the snake would tempt them into doing it), so yeah, it is all kinda gods fault.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2697 on: January 29, 2011, 05:47:30 am »

There's Original Sin, which apparently we are all born with.
It was origenaly meant to be sex. We exist because of sex. It's not had to reason that babys are sinful. People have just about forgotten what the story of Adam and Eve was meant to symbolise, in place of some silly childrens bible story lacking any coda.

That's right folks. Sex, something that is these days thought of as a basic human need, something that it is unhealthy to go without, is a sin. Thank you god for making it againt my welfair to live a good life. Even the alternatives are sins, but even worse of sins!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2698 on: January 29, 2011, 06:06:39 am »

If god is omnipotent, then it follows that he would know the future (as is supported by having prophecy in the bible), so god told them not to eat from the tree of knowledge, already knowing that they were destined to eat from it (unless he intervened in some way) and that the snake would tempt them into doing it), so yeah, it is all kinda gods fault.

Yeah, this is the basic free will problem. If God has full control over the initial conditions of the universe (and things he creates in it, including full control over any state of the universe at any point), and knows what'll happen to it over time, then it is, in effect, entirely up to him how things go.

Mamma. You disobedient child, have you been associating with that irreligious Hollister again?

Bessie. Well, mamma, he is interesting, anyway, although wicked, and I can't help loving interesting people. Here is the conversation we had:

Hollister. Bessie, suppose you should take some meat and bones and fur, and make a cat out of it, and should tell the cat, Now you are not to be unkind to any creature, on pain of punishment and death. And suppose the cat should disobey, and catch a mouse and torture it and kill it. What would you do to the cat?

Bessie. Nothing.

H. Why?

B. Because I know what the cat would say. She would say, It's my nature, I couldn't help it; I didn't make my nature, you made it. And so you are responsible for what I've done -- I'm not. I couldn't answer that, Mr. Hollister.

H. It's just the case of Frankenstein and his Monster over again.

B. What is that?

H. Frankenstein took some flesh and bones and blood and made a man out of them; the man ran away and fell to raping and robbing and murdering everywhere, and Frankenstein was horrified and in despair, and said, I made him, without asking his consent, and it makes me responsible for every crime he commits. I am the criminal, he is innocent.

B. Of course he was right.

H. I judge so. It's just the case of God and man and you and the cat over again.

B. How is that?

H. God made man, without man's consent, and made his nature, too; made it vicious instead of angelic, and then said, Be angelic, or I will ill punish you and destroy you. But no matter, God is responsible for everything man does, all the same; He can't get around that fact. There is only one Criminal, and it is not man.

Mamma. This is atrocious! it is wicked, blasphemous, irreverent, horrible!

Bessie. Yes'm, but it's true. And I'm not going to make a cat. I would be above making a cat if I couldn't make a good one.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Shambling Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2699 on: January 29, 2011, 06:25:24 am »

I'm not an expert on Bible stuff, but I was under the impression the whole sacrifice thing was to give Humanity a chance at getting into Heaven. The idea that all humans are deserving only of damnation, but God grants salvation to those who repent and turn to Him and Jesus.

I could be wrong though, because I haven't read a Bible for a long time.

Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 194