Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187699 times)

Shambling Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]
« Reply #2640 on: January 26, 2011, 06:18:09 pm »

Well, that is a lie, I do beleive 100% in a god. Although that is going by my definition of god, not the vast majority of people. I define god as 'the collective will and morals of everybody within a specific church', therefor if your going to define god after something that exists, it's hard to say it dosn't exist.

That's true, in a way. Then again, I am immortal from that point of view, since I am made of matter present at the 'beginning' of the universe, and long after the last of humanity dies the matter that makes up my body will remain (albiet taking innumerable different forms over the eons).

Still, not exactly the immortality one would hope for, if one ever wanted such a horrible idea as living forever.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: January 26, 2011, 06:20:22 pm »

That's true, in a way. Then again, I am immortal from that point of view, since I am made of matter present at the 'beginning' of the universe, and long after the last of humanity dies the matter that makes up my body will remain (albiet taking innumerable different forms over the eons).

Still, not exactly the immortality one would hope for, if one ever wanted such a horrible idea as living forever.
Yes, it is reletivly easy to be right when you change what words mean. For that reason, rather then debating definitions to as fine a point as possible, I try to roll with a common definition, unless of corse, it is definition itself that is up for debate.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: January 26, 2011, 09:39:43 pm »

Well, that is a lie, I do beleive 100% in a god. Although that is going by my definition of god, not the vast majority of people. I define god as 'the collective will and morals of everybody within a specific church', therefor if your going to define god after something that exists, it's hard to say it dosn't exist.

In other words, you aren't immortal; the matter/energy making up your body is. I mean, if I build a chair and then grind it up into sawdust, I'm not going to say the chair still exists, just a bunch of sawdust that once composed one.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Shambling Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: January 26, 2011, 09:48:57 pm »

Well, yeah. I was just changing the definition of immortal to make it something to make it true. If God is the collective will and morals of a group of people, then God is real. I don't think that's what most people are speaking of when they say 'God', though, they generally mean an omnipotent creator deity.

Just as if someone talks about immortality, they're generally not talking about merely the specks of their matter and energy lingering after they are dead.

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: January 26, 2011, 11:26:45 pm »

Well, yeah. I was just changing the definition of immortal to make it something to make it true. If God is the collective will and morals of a group of people, then God is real. I don't think that's what most people are speaking of when they say 'God', though, they generally mean an omnipotent creator deity..

But is this God? Depending on the group this 'God' could easily be Satan. I like the idea that you create your own god, that if you believe a religion, then that makes it real. In a similar thread on a different forum I heard the idea that everything is an illusion and all we see is our body's attempt to make sense of the world. God, religion and the like could be another filter, or sense that our bodies and minds use to percieve the universe.
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

Shambling Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: January 26, 2011, 11:40:28 pm »

How we view the world is certainly not a complete picture of the actual state of things. A lot of the light spectrum is outside our ability to perceive, there is a lot of sound above or below our range of hearing and the many things are on a scale far too vast or too tiny for us to be able to study (at this time, anyway).

However, if religion is another way of perceiving the universe, it seems strange that we have so many different, mutually exclusive religions.

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: January 26, 2011, 11:44:36 pm »

Because all humans minds are different, but there are similarities.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: January 28, 2011, 05:20:14 am »

So, who's had a divine experience AND won't say "It's personal"?
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: January 28, 2011, 06:01:31 am »

Ray Comfort will tell you that eating a banana is a divine experience.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: January 28, 2011, 06:25:46 am »

Isn't all experience personal?

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2650 on: January 28, 2011, 06:46:37 am »

To clarify, will not refuse to share any of the details of said experience on the basis of it being personal.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: January 28, 2011, 07:11:14 am »

Ray Comfort will tell you that eating a banana is a divine experience.

And he's got Kirk Cameron to back him up!
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: January 28, 2011, 07:21:15 am »

True, people do like to say that religion is a personal matter, until something happens that makes them believe it with a fervor, and then suddenly everyone needs to know about their religion.

P.S. The whole Jehovah's Witness knocking on doors to tell you about the good word is a myth. Just saying.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: January 28, 2011, 07:22:10 am »

To clarify, will not refuse to share any of the details of said experience on the basis of it being personal.
There's loads of examples of those.
If you mean "not subjective", that's impossible. See also here.

Ninjafakeedit: Jehova's do knock on doors. I knew someone whose mother used to do that.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: January 28, 2011, 07:26:08 am »

Ninjafakeedit: Jehova's do knock on doors. I knew someone whose mother used to do that.
Ayup. Sure they do. I've been having visits from the same bunch of JW prosyletizers for the last ten years or so. They just never give up.
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 194