Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187816 times)

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
Re: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]
« Reply #2625 on: January 25, 2011, 07:56:20 pm »

Egotism then.  Why else would you think worshipping is required?  To elevate yourself above those that do not worship via ritual... to prove that you are somehow "better" because you hold yourself to some standard?

Because religion doesn't work if people don't devote themselves to it. It isn't about being "better" than non-worshipers, although it can lead to those feelings. Worship is mostly about control, worship is how you become part of the religious community. Worship is the core of the religion, it's what allows a religion to establish itself as a community, it's what induces people to follow its rules.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

optimumtact

• Bay Watcher
  • I even have sheep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: January 26, 2011, 04:43:40 am »

Egotism then.  Why else would you think worshipping is required?  To elevate yourself above those that do not worship via ritual... to prove that you are somehow "better" because you hold yourself to some standard?

Because religion doesn't work if people don't devote themselves to it. It isn't about being "better" than non-worshipers, although it can lead to those feelings. Worship is mostly about control, worship is how you become part of the religious community. Worship is the core of the religion, it's what allows a religion to establish itself as a community, it's what induces people to follow its rules.

I always thought that religion was so popular in the middle ages as it could be used as a form of control to maintain civil peace and the rule of Law.

It was one of the buttresses of Royal Rule that it was mandated by the Divine and therefore the Monarch was the highest authority in the land below the God.
alternately, I could just take some LSD or something...

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: January 26, 2011, 06:48:22 am »

Well that was some what of a leap in logic, and not what I was going for at all. In some religens, cemermonial dance is required, and ta da! They just learnt about coordernation and developed stronger bodys for it. I know some eastern religions give young boys large daggers when they reach a certain age. Knife saftey anybody? You know those christan chior boys? Not only did they learn self disiplin from practicing singing in a very orderly and cerominal fashion, but they picked up musical talent aswell.

Almost every religion ever has all sorts of practices, and they are most oftern the type that develop long term skills.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: January 26, 2011, 07:01:00 am »

There's a point to what Max White is saying: Most kinds of traditional/ritualistic behavior that develop over time do so because they have practical value to the people/societies who practice them, and their folklore/religion often serves as a sort of framework around it.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: January 26, 2011, 08:06:23 am »

Martigras, passover, and anti-pork policies all have roots in this.

Food-wise.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: January 26, 2011, 10:30:13 am »

Yeah, evolution of religious practises is always interesting.  For instance, headscarves would've been pretty useful out in the desert...

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: January 26, 2011, 02:54:43 pm »

Sure, but if we use the logic that the body is merely a vessel and your god really doesn't care if it's involved in some horrific house fire...

Rituals to improve body strength, keep sand out of the eyes (cooling, whatever), practice knife safety, and protect ones body from sickness in eating unprepared pork... mean nothing except to the community and your self image.  Therein lies my correlation.  To improve your image in the community you followed the customs of the religion and (in essence) you only really do it to improve your body image.  (If your god only cares about your soul ...)

Edit:  Also, if your god does care about your body, then why doesn't he care just as much about the fly you smashed?  I think it's rather egotistical to think that your god only cares about human bodies and not the bodies of planets, trees, rocks, flies...

Edit2: Sorry, formatting for flow...
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 02:59:53 pm by Andir »
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: January 26, 2011, 04:07:02 pm »

He cares about your body and not the body of a fly for the same reason that I care about my computer case but not an empty one on the side of the road. The reason God cares about your body is that how you take care of your body affects how well you can take care of yourself in all ways, and also affects others.

(I'm not actually religious, but I figure I can at least try to give what would amount to a fairly Abrahamic perspective on this)
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: January 26, 2011, 04:27:12 pm »

Also, it's a gift, and your responsibility to take good care of it. It's more like the car that your father gave you.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: January 26, 2011, 04:53:00 pm »

And there we go again with the superior god with totally human reaction.
"Oh I gave you a body, so I expect you to take good care of it because it's a gift". We don't give a fuck when a dwarf loose an arm, usually, or can be supremely annoyed in other case. Why do you expect the act of this supreme being to be more understandable.

Maybe hitler was his idea of a good laugh. Maybe he doesn't exist. Maybe there is a race of invisible space dragoon in your backyard, maybe you're the choose one that is going to free us of the matrix and morpheus is looking for you.
All that is pointless speculation. As far as I am concerned, all that is literally nonsense. We'll have a better idea (or no idea at all) when we die. Until then, I'll work with the things I can observe, and not masturbate intellectually (or would you rather say find solace?) with the idea of a super parent in space.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Shambling Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: January 26, 2011, 05:02:13 pm »

*cough*

Well, this is a discussion about religious and non-religious stuff, so speculation is kind of part and parcel of it. Understanding various beliefs and why people believe them is always interesting to me.

While remaining a non-theist, I personally find a sort of non-interventionist Ahura Mazda and Angra something (something that sounds like "man") to be appealing, although no more likely than anything else. That's just me though.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: January 26, 2011, 05:20:58 pm »

Sure, but if we use the logic that the body is merely a vessel and your god really doesn't care if it's involved in some horrific house fire...

Rituals to improve body strength, keep sand out of the eyes (cooling, whatever), practice knife safety, and protect ones body from sickness in eating unprepared pork... mean nothing except to the community and your self image.  Therein lies my correlation.  To improve your image in the community you followed the customs of the religion and (in essence) you only really do it to improve your body image.  (If your god only cares about your soul ...)

Edit:  Also, if your god does care about your body, then why doesn't he care just as much about the fly you smashed?  I think it's rather egotistical to think that your god only cares about human bodies and not the bodies of planets, trees, rocks, flies...

Edit2: Sorry, formatting for flow...

Ignoring the debate over the existance of a soul.
Everything your soul knows, it has seen, heard and felt through your body. In that way, your body defines your soul more then your soul defines your body. Therefor, suffering of the body is suffering of the soul.

If every day you get flogged into sumbission, your going to go into depression, or develop some other mental problem.

If abuse of the body is abuse of the soul, then taking care of your body is taking care of you soul.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: January 26, 2011, 05:26:38 pm »

He cares about your body and not the body of a fly for the same reason that I care about my computer case but not an empty one on the side of the road. The reason God cares about your body is that how you take care of your body affects how well you can take care of yourself in all ways, and also affects others.

(I'm not actually religious, but I figure I can at least try to give what would amount to a fairly Abrahamic perspective on this)
So a fly is an empty shell?  There's no soul?  That was my point.  And it was touched on before.  The amount of anthropomorphizing (or should I say the hubris in thinking that your god only cares about humans) is crazy.  Maybe this god created flies knowing full well that most people would drive their cars into them or be annoyed and slap them out of the sky and only those people who respected this construct of his will attain heavenly rewards upon passing.

So Max, how do you know your god doesn't expect you to respect the fly?

This is why I find more solace in thinking that we are systematic automatons with no souls, but systems so complex we have not mapped behavioral outcomes yet.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: January 26, 2011, 05:38:33 pm »

My god?
I'm agnostic remember. I don't realy have a god myself, I debate on a theorietical point of veiw with the understanding that I don't know what god is or is like or even if he/she/it existis, but within certain parameters my arguments are very reasonable.

Well, that is a lie, I do beleive 100% in a god. Although that is going by my definition of god, not the vast majority of people. I define god as 'the collective will and morals of everybody within a specific church', therefor if your going to define god after something that exists, it's hard to say it dosn't exist.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: January 26, 2011, 06:06:51 pm »

So a fly is an empty shell?  There's no soul?  That was my point.

According to Abrahamic religions, yeah, there's not. I'm not saying I agree, or anything like that.
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 194