Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187825 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]
« Reply #2610 on: January 25, 2011, 09:57:52 am »

I don't think brain damage really debunks any idea of the soul if it's irreversible.  I mean, you could say it's just a breakdown of communication between the soul and body.

Drugs, on the other hand... which can often be felt altering your sense of self and the decisions you made, and then have their affects wear off afterwards, are a much stronger bit of evidence that the soul isn't completely extraphysical, I'd say.  At the very least, it has to be affected by stuff going on in your body.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #2611 on: January 25, 2011, 10:01:23 am »

Yes, but there is the whole
"Provided that there is a soul as defined in most Abrahamic traditions, the soul is the core.  Your soul receives input from the body, and the body is the tool of the soul.  This is why it is important to try to keep the body in good condition, if possible.  The brain is provably active when we do anything with the body, so if there is anything which is facilitating the soul in communicating with the body, it would almost inarguably be the brain.  In this scenario, brain damage may prevent the soul from perceiving (accurately) what is happening in the body, and/or may scramble the data passing from from the soul to the body.".
Failure to communicate wouldn't lead to this. Memory loss, yes. Deep changes in personality no.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2612 on: January 25, 2011, 10:02:05 am »

The soul is not the mind. It's not your personality, or your character.

As to what it is, definitions vary wildly. Again, that doesn't help anyone who wants to "debunk" souls ;)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2613 on: January 25, 2011, 11:15:16 am »

@Zombie: We tend to have our moments  :)

Insects aren't anything like humans. We have brainpower and comprehension untold times that of an insect, and with that a similarly increased capacity for suffering.
Which is exactly what an insect would say about bacteria. The argument that we still don't pull out their legs is a better one though, but the whole "soul" thing counters that.

Actually, you accidentally brought up an interesting point: humans versus insects is nothing like insects versus bacteria. Case in point? We can say things about them.

RE: Souls. I like the definition of Souls from Buffy the Vampire Slayer: people are people (or demons), souls are just some thing inside them that you can trade for if you're a vampire, or something ;) And if you lose it... you can just get another, for cheap. Just find a gypsy.

But yes, we can still be benevolent towards bugs, even if they're bugs. We can't be mean to them and then claim we're benevolent.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 11:19:33 am by Sergius »

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2614 on: January 25, 2011, 11:47:24 am »

The soul is not the mind. It's not your personality, or your character.

As to what it is, definitions vary wildly. Again, that doesn't help anyone who wants to "debunk" souls ;)
But some people would a house fire that, if horrifying enough, can alter ones very personality.  It can make you depressed, afraid, alone, and several other personality altering effects.  Claiming that a god doesn't really care what your body goes through is basically stating that this god doesn't care that there's garbage going in, only the garbage coming out.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2615 on: January 25, 2011, 01:08:59 pm »

Actually, you accidentally brought up an interesting point: humans versus insects is nothing like insects versus bacteria. Case in point? We can say things about them.
Yeah and insects can fly. Talking doesn't make you special.

Claiming that a god doesn't really care what your body goes through is basically stating that this god doesn't care that there's garbage going in, only the garbage coming out.
Your mind and body are nothing, they are the blink of an eye in the view of an eternal soul. The importance we give to this mind and body and life is way out of proportion (if you believe in eternal souls, that is :) ).

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2616 on: January 25, 2011, 01:25:33 pm »

Talking about which species is more special than another. Since insects can't do that, they can't compare themselves with bacteria.

Can insects "fly" a discussion that they're different than bacteria? No they can't.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2617 on: January 25, 2011, 02:00:05 pm »

Talking about which species is more special than another. Since insects can't do that, they can't compare themselves with bacteria.

Can insects "fly" a discussion that they're different than bacteria? No they can't.
Or can they?  :P
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2618 on: January 25, 2011, 02:02:48 pm »

Touche, my friend.

Another interesting question: can we make insects worship us as gods?  8)

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2619 on: January 25, 2011, 02:48:24 pm »

Touche, my friend.

Give them free will and don't tell them about it. And just say it was all part of our plan.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2620 on: January 25, 2011, 03:21:44 pm »

Worship is a human invention. I don't believe God is interested in it.
Maybe insects already worship us, in their own insecty ways.

Although if I'd have my say, mosquitoes can quit that whole drinking the blood of the gods ceremony.

Shambling Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2621 on: January 25, 2011, 04:31:01 pm »

Worship is a human invention. I don't believe God is interested in it.

I'd agree with that, since even if the most popular religion is 'correct', five to six billion people are not worshipping correctly. I would imagine a god would have a far greater success rate than one in seven, or so.

If you count all kinds of worship as 'correct' though, it makes it a much more robust number. Doesn't answer the question of why a deity needs pathetically weak beings to worship Him though.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2622 on: January 25, 2011, 04:35:48 pm »

If you count all kinds of worship as 'correct' though, it makes it a much more robust number. Doesn't answer the question of why a deity needs pathetically weak beings to worship Him though.
One could argue it is not for the god, but for the human.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2623 on: January 25, 2011, 07:25:15 pm »

One could argue it is not for the god, but for the human.
Egotism then.  Why else would you think worshipping is required?  To elevate yourself above those that do not worship via ritual... to prove that you are somehow "better" because you hold yourself to some standard?
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2624 on: January 25, 2011, 07:53:55 pm »

I don't know about anyone else, but I do it for fun. Why am I better than everyone else for doing it? And if it isn't heartfelt, why should I bother?
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 194