Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187765 times)

Shambling Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]
« Reply #2550 on: January 24, 2011, 05:52:40 am »

I like it how there are a very large amount of reasonable people of faith who look at various scientific theories which are backed up by the evidence and say "Yeah, that must be how <deity or cosmic force> made it to be."

It may differ on the idea of why it is so (natural forces vs supernatural guidance) but I admire those willing to decide based on solid evidence.

I like reasonable people.  :)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: January 24, 2011, 05:57:16 am »

solid evidence [..]reasonable people
Subjective terms. Hardcore literalists consider the bible as Word Of God as "solid evidence", and everyone who agrees with them "reasonable". Lucky for you and I, that group is rather small (yet vocal :( ).

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Shambling Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: January 24, 2011, 06:06:28 am »

solid evidence [..]reasonable people
Subjective terms. Hardcore literalists consider the bible as Word Of God as "solid evidence", and everyone who agrees with them "reasonable". Lucky for you and I, that group is rather small (yet vocal :( ).

I guess my meaning of "reasonable" was those who are willing to give other's points of view an honest consideration, and to challenge their own beliefs if new information or evidence comes to light. Not folks who point at something, say it's Word of God, and declare it final.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: January 24, 2011, 07:00:24 am »

This is only semi-on-topic, but when I die I'm going to laugh like hell if one of the 'barbarian' or 'pagan' religions was right, while all three Abrahamic religions are wrong.
Hey, be careful who you're talking around :P

But yes, if it turns out that we're all going to Hades... Would be strange (and rather amusing), to say the least.
Sorry but as a mythology geek I have to point out Hades was the GOD of the underworld, alot of people seem to think it was named Hades as well.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: January 24, 2011, 07:02:27 am »

That's still a correct sentence. If you're a Christian and you die, you go to Jesus.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #2555 on: January 24, 2011, 07:14:03 am »

This is only semi-on-topic, but when I die I'm going to laugh like hell if one of the 'barbarian' or 'pagan' religions was right, while all three Abrahamic religions are wrong.
Hey, be careful who you're talking around :P

But yes, if it turns out that we're all going to Hades... Would be strange (and rather amusing), to say the least.
Sorry but as a mythology geek I have to point out Hades was the GOD of the underworld, alot of people seem to think it was named Hades as well.
After searching around for about... five minutes or so, I haven't found anything against it. Of course, the internet isn't exactly well known for being correct all the time.

In any case, it's still technically correct like Il Palazzo said :P

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: January 24, 2011, 07:54:49 am »

They're not going to meet Hades unless they bring money.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: January 24, 2011, 10:13:25 am »

As a mythology geek, I have to insist that both the deity and his realm can be referred to as Hades :P . Just like with Hel and Hel of Norse mythology. Could have been a staple of European branched Indo-European religions, mayhaps?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 10:15:38 am by scriver »
Love, scriver~

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: January 24, 2011, 10:57:26 am »

That's still a correct sentence. If you're a Christian and you die, you go to Jesus.
It's like... they become a new set of Underoos for Jesus.  I mean, what else is he going to do with all those "souls."  It'd be like having 4 billion little ceramic elephant figurines.  Eventually they'd just get boring or start to look like the others in the collection.  Maybe there's a shelf where he organizes the souls of the dead by color and nose shape.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: January 24, 2011, 11:13:04 am »

His love is endless, and He loves every single unique individual.

(is what the Christian could answer ;) )

I notice that a lot of people (including believers) keep trying to second-guess a being that's way over their heads, as if they were that being. "If I were God, then I would [get bored/kill em all/stop all suffering/listen to prayers/prove my existence to mankind/make country X the best country in the world/etc]", and then sometimes continue and act as if that's really true, using it as either proof He doesn't exist, or use it as an excuse to do "evil", or whatever. I find this hubris annoying.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2560 on: January 24, 2011, 01:24:21 pm »

His love is endless, and He loves every single unique individual.

(is what the Christian could answer ;) )

I notice that a lot of people (including believers) keep trying to second-guess a being that's way over their heads, as if they were that being. "If I were God, then I would [get bored/kill em all/stop all suffering/listen to prayers/prove my existence to mankind/make country X the best country in the world/etc]", and then sometimes continue and act as if that's really true, using it as either proof He doesn't exist, or use it as an excuse to do "evil", or whatever. I find this hubris annoying.
In order to truly understand God, you simply place your beliefs in his action and it becomes more comfortable knowing the almighty is doing what you expect him to.  Uncomfortable thoughts, like [he doesn't exist/he wants me to kill babies/he doesn't want me eating pigs], would make the god unlike you and therefore less believable.  I mean, it's easier to say God did something that happened than to say he will do something miraculous in the future and have it happen.  In that way, I'd say religion lives in the past events rather than being a way to live your future.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: January 24, 2011, 02:03:44 pm »

You can't prove a negitive

Where do people get this idea? You can prove a negative with just as much ease or difficulty as you can prove a positive. Granted, you can't prove either absolutely, generally speaking.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: January 24, 2011, 03:05:09 pm »

You can't prove a negitive

Where do people get this idea? You can prove a negative with just as much ease or difficulty as you can prove a positive. Granted, you can't prove either absolutely, generally speaking.
Actually Siquo is the only non strong atheist whose belief make sense to me. He's not sure about the existence of a god, but he isn't sure of anything else either (at least theoretically).
Anything else would be illogical.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Shambling Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: January 24, 2011, 04:18:23 pm »

Is it really hubris to hear about a family dying in a house fire, then hear people talking of an omnipotent, benevolent diety and think "That doesn't make sense."?

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: January 24, 2011, 04:19:49 pm »

science.
!!science!!

that is all. I believe that this "god" is only for random numbers.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 194