Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187818 times)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]
« Reply #2535 on: January 24, 2011, 02:47:58 am »

I suggest that we just stop circling the drain with Farmerbob, because it's not going to get us anywhere.

We can go plenty of places, provided that you remove the completely absurd and meaningless assertion that Agnosticism is a part of Atheism.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Shambling Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: January 24, 2011, 03:11:05 am »

Hehehe, I too never thought I'd see fundie Agnosticism. I too stand corrected.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: January 24, 2011, 03:33:37 am »

Well while farmer bob is arguing the same thing over and over again, everyone is giving the same answer.

But reading this, wouldn't that mean that Agnostics 1) simply can't make up their minds or 2) Don't know about any religion at all?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: January 24, 2011, 04:09:08 am »

Stop being a completely ignorant schmuck.

Theists believe in a god.  Atheists do not.  Agnostics do not believe or disbelieve.  You can make any number of subgroupings and imaginary whatnots that you care to, but Atheism and Agnosticism have almost NOTHING in common.  Trying to pretend that they do is ignorant.
An agnostic is similar to an athiest in that they lack a diety or worship. The only differance between them is that one is sure about their lack of diety, the other is open minded if the correct evidence is given to them.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: January 24, 2011, 04:14:37 am »

Stop being a completely ignorant schmuck.

Theists believe in a god.  Atheists do not.  Agnostics do not believe or disbelieve.  You can make any number of subgroupings and imaginary whatnots that you care to, but Atheism and Agnosticism have almost NOTHING in common.  Trying to pretend that they do is ignorant.
An agnostic is similar to an athiest in that they lack a diety or worship. The only differance between them is that one is sure about their lack of diety, the other is open minded if the correct evidence is given to them.
You either are saying that Dawkins wouldn't believe in a god if evidence of his existence would be presented to him, or that he(Dawkins) is not using the term Atheism properly.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: January 24, 2011, 04:37:26 am »

Yeah, I don't get what Max White is trying to say. Even a strong atheist would probably agree, in most cases, that they would agree a god exists if proper evidence were given; they just don't think that evidence exists.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: January 24, 2011, 04:47:18 am »

Nobody decides against evidence. There's just people who decide because there's no evidence, and people who decide not to decide because there's no evidence. Can we now move on?

Back to the Catholic invention of the Big Bang, for instance?

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: January 24, 2011, 04:51:07 am »

What I can see here is two stances on ideas in general. Either one gives a degree of credence to an idea simply by the virtue of it being formulated and not disproven(agnosticism), or one gives credence to an idea only if it is proven(atheism).

duh, ninjaed.

Big Bang is Catholic?

CoughDrop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: January 24, 2011, 04:56:40 am »

Nobody decides against evidence.

Plenty of people do, but yes, let's talk about the theory of the big bang until someone misinterprets the meaning of 'theory' and we all argue over semantics once again. It will all be interesting, nonetheless.
"It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think yours is the only path."

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: January 24, 2011, 05:06:36 am »

Nobody decides against evidence.

Plenty of people do, but yes, let's talk about the theory of the big bang until someone misinterprets the meaning of 'theory' and we all argue over semantics once again. It will all be interesting, nonetheless.
Nope, nobody does. We just have different opinions on what "evidence" actually is.

Big Bang is Catholic?
Yes, the Big Bang was invented by a Belgian priest, and catholics are officially (as in, the pope said so) ok with both the BB theory and evolution. There's factions in christianity, as well ;)

Funny: the Catholic church was initially less critical of BB theory than the scientists of that time (although that fits the whole "gullible" vs "sceptical" stereotypes again, which was exactly what I was trying to refute. Damn, I just mooted my own point. Why do I keep doing that?)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2545 on: January 24, 2011, 05:24:31 am »

Funny: the Catholic church was initially less critical of BB theory than the scientists of that time (although that fits the whole "gullible" vs "sceptical" stereotypes again, which was exactly what I was trying to refute. Damn, I just mooted my own point. Why do I keep doing that?)

The Big Bang theory, with its definitive beginning to the universe, makes more sense for a religion than the steady state theory that was popular at the time.  It was the only one that fit in with their existing beliefs.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2546 on: January 24, 2011, 05:33:27 am »

Yeah, I don't get what Max White is trying to say. Even a strong atheist would probably agree, in most cases, that they would agree a god exists if proper evidence were given; they just don't think that evidence exists.
And that's why more people are agnostic then they think.
You can't prove a negitive, and there is a stunning lack of evidence for a god as explained in many holy works, such as the bible, therefor agnostic is the nice reasonable choice.

Agnostic: Were here for you.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: January 24, 2011, 05:37:30 am »

The Big Bang theory, with its definitive beginning to the universe, makes more sense for a religion than the steady state theory that was popular at the time.  It was the only one that fit in with their existing beliefs.
I don't know. When your diety is omnipotent, then it could just as well create any kind of universe.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: January 24, 2011, 05:41:17 am »

This is only semi-on-topic, but when I die I'm going to laugh like hell if one of the 'barbarian' or 'pagan' religions was right, while all three Abrahamic religions are wrong.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #2549 on: January 24, 2011, 05:50:57 am »

This is only semi-on-topic, but when I die I'm going to laugh like hell if one of the 'barbarian' or 'pagan' religions was right, while all three Abrahamic religions are wrong.
Hey, be careful who you're talking around :P

But yes, if it turns out that we're all going to Hades... Would be strange (and rather amusing), to say the least.
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 194