Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187723 times)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]
« Reply #2520 on: January 24, 2011, 01:25:53 am »

Theists believe in a god.  Atheists do not.  Agnostics do not believe or disbelieve.

These aren't actually the definitions you provided.

Atheism and Agnosticism have almost NOTHING in common.

Then you don't know what the words mean, and apparently refuse to see what they mean even after it's been explained to you about a half-dozen times. I suggest you stop trying to argue the point. It's a dead horse, and its legs were broken to begin with.

Let's see, we aren't allowed to use dictionary definitions because we need to use foofoo from Doctor Fantastic's big guide to religion.

So let's go to the basic roots of the words, which I absolutely defy you to refute.

Almost everyone here understands what a prefix is, I hope, so I won't go into it in terrible detail:

Gnosis (the greek root not the religion) refers to knowledge.  Agnostic refers to a lack of knowledge.

Theism refers to belief in a deity, Atheism refers to a lack of belief in a deity.

These two terms are NOT interchangeable in any way, shape, or form.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #2521 on: January 24, 2011, 01:27:57 am »

Here's a mental exercise

Lets assume there is a god who is fully in control of our universe in a similar way to the Christian/Muslim/Jewish God.

How then do we justify the day to day happenings of earth?
I.E. how is is possible for him to stand aside and let us kill/rape/torture/pillage.
Not every god has to be good :P

Theists believe in a god.  Atheists do not.  Agnostics do not believe or disbelieve.

Then you don't know what the words mean, and apparently refuse to see what they mean even after it's been explained to you about a half-dozen times. I suggest you stop trying to argue the point. It's a dead horse, and its legs were broken to begin with.

Let's see, we aren't allowed to use dictionary definitions because we need to use foofoo from Doctor Fantastic's big guide to religion.

So let's go to the basic roots of the words, which I absolutely defy you to refute.

Almost everyone here understands what a prefix is, I hope, so I won't go into it in terrible detail:

Gnosis (the greek root not the religion) refers to knowledge.  Agnostic refers to a lack of knowledge.

Theism refers to belief in a deity, Atheism refers to a lack of belief in a deity.

Agnostics don't believe or disbelieve. Atheists don't believe. There is overlap there.

Shambling Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: January 24, 2011, 01:29:03 am »

Unless you have a lack of belief in a deity based on a lack of knowledge.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: January 24, 2011, 01:35:32 am »

That's it. I will not have you sullying the name of Doctor Fantastic. Do you realize what he did for me and my wife when she went into premature labor? Do you? I don't think you do.

This should be fun.

You're right while being wrong, and that is pretty amazing. If atheism is the lack of belief in a deity (which it is), and agnosticism is the lack of knowledge of the existence of a deity, then there is extremely obvious overlap, unless you're implying that you can have a lack of knowledge of the existence of a deity while simultaneously believing in one.

FYI, nobody is saying the terms are interchangeable, just that there is overlap. Do you understand the difference?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: January 24, 2011, 01:45:26 am »

Here's a mental exercise

Lets assume there is a god who is fully in control of our universe in a similar way to the Christian/Muslim/Jewish God.

How then do we justify the day to day happenings of earth?
I.E. how is is possible for him to stand aside and let us kill/rape/torture/pillage.
Not every god has to be good :P

Agnostics don't believe or disbelieve. Atheists don't believe. There is overlap there.

NO.  Absolutely wrong.

Agnostics do not believe one way or the other because there is insufficient KNOWLEDGE to support or deny the hypothesis.

Atheists BELIEVE there is no god.  No proof required.

One is logical, the other is not.
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2525 on: January 24, 2011, 01:50:55 am »

There's a very obvious solution to this problem, G-Flex. Farmerbob is not following the rules of the thread, and is continuing along the lines that have specifically be drawn to end this dispute. Stop talking to him, or he will simply continue to argue the same thing over and over again. And over and over again.

I never thought I would ever encounter fundamentalist agnosticism, but I was wrong!
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

CoughDrop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: January 24, 2011, 02:00:37 am »

CoughDrop reads the majority of Farmerbob's posts in this thread.

"...D*mmit Bobbeh'!"
"It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think yours is the only path."

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: January 24, 2011, 02:06:02 am »

There's a very obvious solution to this problem, G-Flex. Farmerbob is not following the rules of the thread, and is continuing along the lines that have specifically be drawn to end this dispute. Stop talking to him, or he will simply continue to argue the same thing over and over again. And over and over again.

I never thought I would ever encounter fundamentalist agnosticism, but I was wrong!

I have requested that all of my posts be removed because it is utterly and completely rediculous to try to say that a group of individuals who require proof before DECIDING is in any way a subset of a group of people who have already decided.

If that falsehood is maintained, then logical discourse is impossible and I want my posts removed.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: January 24, 2011, 02:08:50 am »

I have requested that all of my posts be removed because it is utterly and completely rediculous to try to say that a group of individuals who require proof before DECIDING is in any way a subset of a group of people who have already decided.

If that falsehood is maintained, then logical discourse is impossible and I want my posts removed.
Cool story, bro
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

CoughDrop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: January 24, 2011, 02:12:12 am »

My troll detector is going off the charts... Is there anything to discuss in this thread that isn't pure semantics?
"It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think yours is the only path."

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: January 24, 2011, 02:17:05 am »

There was that bit about Big Bang...

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: January 24, 2011, 02:28:43 am »

One more time for posterity.

An Agnostic rejects both Theism and Atheism. Yet, for some reason some people want to say that Agnosticism is a part of Atheism.

What this means is that Agnostics by this faulty definition reject their own beliefs.  Think about that for a second please.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #2532 on: January 24, 2011, 02:41:53 am »

And that part about god being weak against iron.

No wait, that was semantics too.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: January 24, 2011, 02:44:04 am »

I suggest that we just stop circling the drain with Farmerbob, because it's not going to get us anywhere.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: January 24, 2011, 02:44:49 am »

We could just rename the thread "Big Bang and Semantics thread".
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 194