Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187717 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]
« Reply #2505 on: January 23, 2011, 09:01:44 pm »

Our red truth will carve apart this debate!  We shall be the first forum to ever reach a conclusion on this!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: January 23, 2011, 09:04:15 pm »

*Fifteen minutes later*
Oh wow, so in the end, Captain crunsh is the one true god? Who would have thought... Well that's over and done with, tell the christians and muslims and what not that it's over, we can all worship the crunsh now.

Shambling Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: January 23, 2011, 09:06:28 pm »

I, for one, welcome our new crunchy overlord.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: January 24, 2011, 12:21:23 am »

And so, after countless lives were lost to pointless needle work, we finaly managed to define athiest. I think we achived something here today.
Now we can start discussing the thread's topic.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: January 24, 2011, 12:25:22 am »

We had a topic? Dear god...

*Ba dum, tish!*

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #2510 on: January 24, 2011, 12:26:27 am »

Given the majority opinion on what Atheism means and the fact that an encyclopedia (even in wiki form) is a more authoritative source than a dictionary for any subject that has nuance because dictionary editors don't have to consider the philosophical impilcations of every word defined, I'm going to have to overrule Farmerbob here. For the purposes of this thread, an Atheist is defined as somebody without a belief in a deity. Editing chart into OP now. The issue is now closed.

Please delete every single entry of mine in this thread.  If you are going to be using definitions of Agnostic and Atheism that are meaningless, then it's meaningless for my posts to remain.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2511 on: January 24, 2011, 12:26:56 am »

And yet none of those definitions fit me. I doupt any form of deity exists, but I am open to the idea that I'm wrong about it. This is becouse while yes it is true there is absolutely no evidence of a deity, there is no true evidence saying one, or more, doesn't exist.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Shambling Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2512 on: January 24, 2011, 12:42:29 am »

And yet none of those definitions fit me. I doupt any form of deity exists, but I am open to the idea that I'm wrong about it. This is becouse while yes it is true there is absolutely no evidence of a deity, there is no true evidence saying one, or more, doesn't exist.

Isn't that Agnostic, or perhaps Explicit Weak Atheist?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #2513 on: January 24, 2011, 12:46:53 am »

Please delete every single entry of mine in this thread.  If you are going to be using definitions of Agnostic and Atheism that are meaningless, then it's meaningless for my posts to remain.

Farmer bob never did play well with the other children in the play ground.

Welcome to club agnostic, where the drinks are indecisive.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2514 on: January 24, 2011, 12:49:41 am »

I'm not indecisive though, I do NOT believe there is a god or gods, but I am willing to admit that I an completely and utterly wrong, and that any religion/religions might be right, or wrong but there are still gods noone ever acknowledged.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2515 on: January 24, 2011, 12:50:03 am »

Yep. It's definitely the latter, and almost certainly the former.

They aren't meaningless. They're just not the ones you made up yourself, and I somehow doubt that the ones you pulled out of thin air and your own prejudices are any better than the ones developed over centuries by the philosophical/theological community at large.

It's meaningful for your posts to remain because it's counterproductive to discussion to toss everything you've said into the Memory Hole just because you turned out to embarrass yourself a bit. People need to learn from discussion, from mistakes, and from the correction of misinformation, including you.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

optimumtact

• Bay Watcher
  • I even have sheep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2516 on: January 24, 2011, 12:56:08 am »

Here's a mental exercise

Lets assume there is a god who is fully in control of our universe in a similar way to the Christian/Muslim/Jewish God.

How then do we justify the day to day happenings of earth?
I.E. how is is possible for him to stand aside and let us kill/rape/torture/pillage.
alternately, I could just take some LSD or something...

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: January 24, 2011, 01:01:09 am »

Yep. It's definitely the latter, and almost certainly the former.

They aren't meaningless. They're just not the ones you made up yourself, and I somehow doubt that the ones you pulled out of thin air and your own prejudices are any better than the ones developed over centuries by the philosophical/theological community at large.

It's meaningful for your posts to remain because it's counterproductive to discussion to toss everything you've said into the Memory Hole just because you turned out to embarrass yourself a bit. People need to learn from discussion, from mistakes, and from the correction of misinformation, including you.

Stop being a completely ignorant schmuck.

Theists believe in a god.  Atheists do not.  Agnostics do not believe or disbelieve.  You can make any number of subgroupings and imaginary whatnots that you care to, but Atheism and Agnosticism have almost NOTHING in common.  Trying to pretend that they do is ignorant.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Shambling Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: January 24, 2011, 01:02:32 am »

Here's a mental exercise

Lets assume there is a god who is fully in control of our universe in a similar way to the Christian/Muslim/Jewish God.

How then do we justify the day to day happenings of earth?
I.E. how is is possible for him to stand aside and let us kill/rape/torture/pillage.

That is the faint evidence I spoke of earlier. There are pointlessly cruel and nasty things which happen, which simply wouldn't happen if such a being ruled over the universe and was perfect and omnipotent.
Some put forward the idea that it is all for a higher purpose, or perhaps to teach the rest of us important lessons. I personally think a perfect being would be capable of teaching us just find without any torture happening.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: January 24, 2011, 01:03:40 am »

Theists believe in a god.  Atheists do not.  Agnostics do not believe or disbelieve.

These aren't actually the definitions you provided.

Atheism and Agnosticism have almost NOTHING in common.

Then you don't know what the words mean, and apparently refuse to see what they mean even after it's been explained to you about a half-dozen times. I suggest you stop trying to argue the point. It's a dead horse, and its legs were broken to begin with.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 194