Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187751 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #2445 on: January 23, 2011, 03:07:45 am »

He's using a different definition of irreligious. One roughly equivalent to theological noncognitivist, ignostic, or apatheist.

Unfortunately, we don't get to make up our own definitions for words whenever we please just because we have hang-ups about some connotations they have, or associations we have with them.

From a real source, not Wiki.

Definition of IRRELIGIOUS
1: neglectful of religion : lacking religious emotions, doctrines, or practices <so irreligious that they exploit popular religion for professional purposes — G. B. Shaw>
2: indicating lack of religion

Please stop referring to Wiki definitions of religious terms like as if they have any meaning.

Dude, I've taken religious philosophy courses. Wikipedia isn't just making this shit up; it's used in actual academic philosophy and religious studies. It's also rather poor methodology to be using a dictionary of common English when talking about technical terms.

The real source is www.m-w.com - the Merriam-Webster dictionary online.

The Merriam-Webster dictionary is not authoritative. No dictionary of the English language is. They are especially non-authoritative as they generally describe common language, not technical terms.

Also, if you would actually have read any of the Wikipedia article, you'd have noticed that several sources are given with arguments for various definitions.

Oh, by the way, synonyms are not perfect. If a dictionary or thesaurus lists two words as synonyms, that is not intended to imply that they have the exact same definitions or are otherwise used exactly the same; it only means that they are similar in meaning.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 03:10:46 am by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: January 23, 2011, 03:20:28 am »

From a real source, not Wiki.

You make wiki jesus cry.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: January 23, 2011, 03:22:24 am »

This would be an accurate grouping chart for non theists.

How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: January 23, 2011, 03:25:20 am »

*Check chart*
Yea, I'm still Agnostic. I think it would be unscientific to assume god was inpossible.

Shambling Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: January 23, 2011, 03:26:11 am »

Actually, that doesn't include anything besides three strawmen and a Vague grouping that a very large amount of people would fall into.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #2450 on: January 23, 2011, 03:30:36 am »

Irreligious does not imply nontheistic. Why do you think it does?
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: January 23, 2011, 03:32:45 am »

Actually, that doesn't include anything besides three strawmen and a Vague grouping that a very large amount of people would fall into.

And that is exactly the way it should be.  If you want to add in your little bubbles for this, that, and the other, provided that no lines cross into Agnosticism from Atheism, I'm fine with it.  Don't confuse kneejerk naysayers with people who want to think rationally.

(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: January 23, 2011, 03:34:19 am »

Do you even know what a freeking strawman is? It is when, in a dabate, you purpusfuly misinturprate your opposents argument and attack thus invalid argument, rather that the valid argument they made. Like attacking a strawman rather then the real guy.

How the hell is this a strawman situation?

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: January 23, 2011, 03:41:15 am »

Irreligious does not imply nontheistic. Why do you think it does?

Irreligious by definition is a lack of religion.  You can go to church if you are irreligious, or even Agnostic or Atheist.  Lots of people do.

If you can somehow manage to believe in a deity and not be religious, you would be a heretic, I think, which certainly does not fall into any possible definition of non theist.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #2454 on: January 23, 2011, 03:48:45 am »

Lack of religion, not a lack of belief in deities. Belief in a deity does not imply religion. Religion implies worship and devotion. If you believe in a deity, but don't worship, go to church, follow the rules, or generally devote yourself to that deity you are not religious, therefore irreligious but not nontheistic. You neglect the religion, not the deity.

Conversely religious belief does not imply theistic belief. Firstly, you claim atheism is a religion, and therefore all atheists are religious nontheists. Secondly naturalistic pantheism can inspire religious devotion and reverence without any actual belief in a deity. Religion and theism are correlated, but no so strongly that being irreligious is a theistic position.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: January 23, 2011, 03:49:58 am »

Irreligious by definition is a lack of religion.  You can go to church if you are irreligious, or even Agnostic or Atheist.  Lots of people do.

If you can somehow manage to believe in a deity and not be religious, you would be a heretic, I think, which certainly does not fall into any possible definition of non theist.

Isn't a heretic somebody who is a criminal in the eyes of a church? So all muslims are heritics if you ask christians, and all christans are hericitcs (Infadels if you want local dialect) in the eyes of muslims?

I mean that is just my 'off the top of my head' understanding of the word, so feel free to correct.

Oakenshield

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: January 23, 2011, 03:53:48 am »

A heretic believes something other than what the official belief of the church they belong to nominally states.

An infidel is similar.

Both concepts have a root in the concept of 'miscreant'.

Original terminology: 'mes creant'.

Trans. lit from old french, 'wrong beliefs' with a secondary meaning of 'traveling the wrong path'.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: January 23, 2011, 03:55:26 am »

Lack of religion, not a lack of belief in deities. Belief in a deity does not imply religion. Religion implies worship and devotion. If you believe in a deity, but don't worship, go to church, follow the rules, or generally devote yourself to that deity you are not religious, therefore irreligious but not nontheistic. You neglect the religion, not the deity.

This is a little debatable. That is to say, it's debatable whether "religion" means what you say, or whether or not you simply have "religious beliefs", and whether or not "religious beliefs" include theistic beliefs by default.

I have no idea why Farmerbob is even bringing the term "heretic" into the equation. Then again, I don't know why he's doing a lot of the things he's doing. Judging by what he's said, and by his chart, he subscribes to his own definitions that are 1) not actually in line with any accepted academic definitions of the words, and 2) far less useful, as they actually make it harder to explain one's position. I'm not even going to try to interpret what his definition of "Non Theists" means on that chart, as it is completely nonsensical.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: January 23, 2011, 03:56:04 am »

Isn't a heretic somebody who is a criminal in the eyes of a church? So all muslims are heritics if you ask christians, and all christans are hericitcs (Infadels if you want local dialect) in the eyes of muslims?

I mean that is just my 'off the top of my head' understanding of the word, so feel free to correct.

I was trying to remember if I had ever heard a word to describe someone that believed in a deity but did not worship it.  Other than Heretic, the best thing I could come up with was idiot.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #2459 on: January 23, 2011, 03:56:42 am »

A heretic believes something other than what the official belief of the church they belong to nominally states.

An infidel is similar.

Both concepts have a root in the concept of 'miscreant'.

Original terminology: 'mes creant'.

Trans. lit from old french, 'wrong beliefs' with a secondary meaning of 'traveling the wrong path'.
Religion does not equal church. One does not have to follow a church (or any religious organization) to follow a religion.
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 194