Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187760 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #2385 on: January 22, 2011, 10:27:32 pm »

I don't think we need bother define religion for the same reason we need not bother to define gods: They can both be virtually whatever people want them to be, and can be altered in an instant by the believer.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: January 22, 2011, 10:30:58 pm »

Neither do we need to define atheism as even the people who subscribe to it can't agree amongst themselves what the hell they believe. Or what words are associated to what concepts. Or any number of things that would actually make this anywhere near something worth debating instead of what seems like an endless drone of semantics.

Let's all shake hands, it looks like we've come to an agreement.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: January 22, 2011, 10:43:26 pm »

Neither do we need to define atheism as even the people who subscribe to it can't agree amongst themselves what the hell they believe. Or what words are associated to what concepts. Or any number of things that would actually make this anywhere near something worth debating instead of what seems like an endless drone of semantics.

Let's all shake hands, it looks like we've come to an agreement.

Wait, so the agreement is to fail to ever have a constructive conversation, because we can't even define the words involved? Wonderful.

Also: Atheists don't need to agree on what they believe, because atheism is not a statement of belief. It's not some monolithic group with a mission statement and a holy book. It's just a word that means you don't believe in any gods. It means you aren't theistic. It's not hard to grasp.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #2388 on: January 22, 2011, 10:45:55 pm »

This is interesting. I generally agree with most of it. Going by that, I'm much more spiritual than religious in general. Interesting way to put it though, that religion is more focused on rituals and such.

The website is kind of a laugh though. "Difference between Ancient Greece and Ancient Rome" for one.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: January 22, 2011, 10:51:32 pm »

I've seen the statement put forward that "arguing on the internet is like participating in the Special Olympics."

I do not agree with this statement until it has been changed to "arguing on the internet without any common ground is like participating in the Special Olympics." Unless we have terms that we all can agree mean what everyone in the topic thinks they mean, then we run around in circles. Not being able to agree on even a definition means you might as well take your toys and go home.

Also, irreligion is not a statement of belief, whereas atheism is a statement of disbelief. Honestly, it's not that hard to grasp. :P

Oh damn, that shoe is totally on the other foot now.
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: January 22, 2011, 11:26:28 pm »

Atheism can only be a religion when any god proves it's existence and that Atheist still disbelieves in that god...

Heh, if a deity shows itself and proves itself, Atheism wouldn't be a religion, it would be stupidity.

:o
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: January 22, 2011, 11:54:09 pm »

I agree that we're arguing mostly about definitions of words, which is silly.

No matter if you define Atheism as a religion or not, Atheism is an irrational belief structure because you simply cannot disprove the existence of an all knowing all powerful deity as defined by most monotheistic religions.  No matter how silly it might seem to give any sort of credence towards the possible existence of such a deity, flatly denying it's existence is not logical.  On the other side, believing in such a deity without proof of it's existence seems just as irrational.

I'm irrational about some things, everyone is to some degree.  With this in mind, personally I don't mind people being irrational, as long as they don't try pushing it on me, and so long as they are not actively hurting other people.

Trying to call an Agnostic an Atheist is a lot like trying to call someone who makes maps a Flat Worlder.
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: January 23, 2011, 12:00:14 am »

No matter if you define Atheism as a religion or not, Atheism is an irrational belief structure because you simply cannot disprove the existence of an all knowing all powerful deity as defined by most monotheistic religions.  No matter how silly it might seem to give any sort of credence towards the possible existence of such a deity, flatly denying it's existence is not logical.  On the other side, believing in such a deity without proof of it's existence seems just as irrational.
I deny that rabid invisible ghost rats are trying to eat my feet. Am I being irrational? I can sense no rabid invisible ghost rats, nor is any effect claimed of the rat's actions observed. There's no reason to believe in the deadly, deadly ghost rats that could be skittering around you at this very moment, so why would the burden of proof be on the person denying the existance of the unspeakable ethreal vermin?

Now, go back and replace the rats with gods and their lust for your flesh with, say, hell. This is why atheism is not irrational.

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Shambling Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: January 23, 2011, 12:01:35 am »

Just a thought, but one doesn't need to believe everything until it is disproven to be rational. I mean, I can't disprove that I have a green beard that disappears every time someone tries to perceive it in any way, and re-appears when noone is looking... it doesn't mean it's irrational to say "I don't have a green beard."

By the way, I don't have a green beard. Show me evidence of my beardedness, and I'll believe it.

edit: Wow, I was a bit slow to respond, hehe.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 12:03:37 am by Shambling Zombie »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: January 23, 2011, 12:03:30 am »

No matter if you define Atheism as a religion or not, Atheism is an irrational belief structure because you simply cannot disprove the existence of an all knowing all powerful deity as defined by most monotheistic religions.

You don't understand what "atheism" means and haven't been following the conversation.

"Atheism" does not imply the belief that a deity does not exist. It implies the lack of belief in a deity. Yes, there are atheists who strictly believe that there is no God, or no gods, but that does not account for all of them and the label does not imply that.

Also: It is still certainly rational to disprove the existence of specific gods based on the validity or consistency of their proposed characteristics.

Also: What MetalSlimeHunt said. Burden of proof isn't on someone denying the claim. If someone makes a claim with absolutely no evidence behind it, the rational thing is to deny its truth. This is not the same as saying "I know for sure that it isn't true and can prove it".
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: January 23, 2011, 12:08:17 am »

With this in mind, personally I don't mind people being irrational, as long as they don't try pushing it on me, and so long as they are not actively hurting other people.
I am curious if atheists think this is as much passive-aggressive bullshit when it's directed at them as when it's directed to anyone else. I've never seen it used towards atheists before, and this is my first chance to actually see if they can see what [some of them] do themselves reflected in this statement. Hopefully with the eye-opening realization of what it actually sounds like to the person they say it to, but I don't hold out much hope on that front.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: January 23, 2011, 12:51:32 am »

I deny that rabid invisible ghost rats are trying to eat my feet. Am I being irrational? I can sense no rabid invisible ghost rats, nor is any effect claimed of the rat's actions observed. There's no reason to believe in the deadly, deadly ghost rats that could be skittering around you at this very moment, so why would the burden of proof be on the person denying the existance of the unspeakable ethreal vermin?

Now, go back and replace the rats with gods and their lust for your flesh with, say, hell. This is why atheism is not irrational.

The difference between your rats and something like one of the monotheistic deities as they are described is:

1) The deity has no need to interact with the world, and in fact has a logical reason to NOT interact directly with the world.
2) The deity is omnipotent and omniscient, able to perfectly hide itself from our existence.
3) A large number of people believe in the deity - it's not just random noise like foot-eating rats.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: January 23, 2011, 12:57:52 am »

The difference between your rats and something like one of the monotheistic deities as they are described is:

1) The rats have no need to interact with the world, and in fact have a logical reason to NOT interact directly with the world.
2) The rats are invisible, able to perfectly hide themselves from our existence.
3) A large number of people believe in many different things - it's just random noise like foot-eating rats.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: January 23, 2011, 01:10:16 am »

The rats work in mysterious ways. They have methods of getting at your feet without exposing their existance. Who are you to judge the actions of the almighty Rigr (Rabid Invisible Ghost Rats)?
No Gods, No Masters.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: January 23, 2011, 01:11:30 am »

What Askot said. Jehova isn't any different when it comes to the burden of proof compared to any one of the other literally infinite and uncountable ideas you could come up with. It doesn't matter that a lot of people already believe in him, and an infinite/uncountable number of hypothetical beings or entities could be thought up which also don't interact with the world much.
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 194