Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187746 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #2370 on: January 22, 2011, 12:03:04 pm »

It doesn't really have to be a faith either.  I mean... aren't you saying that we don't have enough faith :P?

The thing is... I don't see why I should need to take a leap of faith.  Or which direction I should need to take it in.  Or why there's apparently some imperitive reason which I must even though I'm fine as I am.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #2371 on: January 22, 2011, 12:09:58 pm »

Irreligious people simply do not care about religion at all.

Quote from: merriam-webster.com
irreligious
: neglectful of religion : lacking religious emotions, doctrines, or practices

This definition of irreligious seems like it would include nonpracticing theists. While your definition of "someone who doesn't care about religion" would not. Now, I would certainly call them irreligious (they aren't very religious are they?) but obviously they care some about religion otherwise they wouldn't self-identify as theists.

Quote from: wikipedia
Irreligion is an absence of, indifference towards or hostility towards religion

Here "absence of" implies inclusion of atheism. Positions which you claim to be mutually exclusive.

And here is irreligion.org which seems less to be atheist or theological noncognitivist and more anti-theist.

And now I am wondering. Where do you get your definitions from?
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: January 22, 2011, 12:28:18 pm »

Now, I would certainly call them irreligious (they aren't very religious are they?) but obviously they care some about religion otherwise they wouldn't self-identify as theists.
Irreligious people don't identifiy themselves with any religion at all. It doesn't mean they are dubious worshippers or such, if they identify themselves as theists, then they are, regardless of piety. So the comparison is a bit... incoherent.
Quote from: wikipedia
Irreligion is an absence of, indifference towards or hostility towards religion

Here "absence of" implies inclusion of atheism. Positions which you claim to be mutually exclusive.

And here is irreligion.org which seems less to be atheist or theological noncognitivist and more anti-theist.

And now I am wondering. Where do you get your definitions from?
They're not mutually exclusive, but that website was probably made by people who don't know what the term means.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #2373 on: January 22, 2011, 12:48:00 pm »

Irreligious means, essentially, not religious. It's an adjective and it's been used that way for centuries. Religious does not mean belief in a deity, that is what theistic means. A person can be theistic without being religious (religion usually manifesting itself through devotion or worship). Deists, would be irreligious theists as well.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: January 22, 2011, 01:07:56 pm »

Ugh, this is why I hate semantics. I keep misunderstanding words >_>. Must be a cultural thing, really.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #2375 on: January 22, 2011, 01:20:43 pm »

Nah, that's why semantics are terrible. People quibbling over trivialities of definition.

Except for discourse semantics, those are fine.

Shambling Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: January 22, 2011, 04:10:54 pm »

What's the difference between "actively" disbelieving and "passively" doing so?

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: January 22, 2011, 04:13:01 pm »

yelling that there's no god *vs* not saying anything at all
EDIT: I'm mostly atheist. I understand things by proof and theory.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Oakenshield

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: January 22, 2011, 04:21:12 pm »

I believe the following.

1. That we live in a blindly mechanistic universe.
2. That the human condition is about as significant as a small pebble in the sahara (when compared with everything everywhere in the entire universe).
3. That the universe operates by clearly distinguished laws that don't care what you think, their going to function the way they are going to function regardless.
4. That there may or may not be 'spiritual entities' in the universe but that if there are they function under the same rubric of mechanistic, predictable laws.
5. There is no single moral ethos that is always right.
6. What we consider 'right' and 'wrong' is largely irrelevant (again when compared against everything everywhere in the entire universe).
7. That we must, knowing full well what the consequences will be, make our own way and make our own decisions independent of any external guidance but that of others who've made the same choices.
8. That the universe may eventually become completely cold, dark, and dead.
9. That arguing over semantics is largely a way of taking apart someones idea without actually directly attacking the idea with your own idea.
10. That the same blind, uncaring, predictable, and mechanistic forces that rule the universe rule everything, everywhere in it, past present and future, care nothing for their subjective ownership, and are in general unaware of the existence of anything outside of themselves.

IA IA AZATHOTH!

No but seriously, does this make me a Nihilist, an Agnostic, a Atheist, or a Cosmicist?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: January 22, 2011, 04:24:40 pm »

Agnostics are not atheists.
QFT.

More like "QFA" (quoted for ambiguity). Some agnostics could be considered atheists and some atheists could be considered agnostics. "Atheism" does not imply that you believe no god exists, just that you don't believe in one. Agnostics, by definition, do not believe in god but are open to the possibility. There is overlap between the two terms, although they aren't synonymous.

What's the difference between "actively" disbelieving and "passively" doing so?

Maybe the distinction is intended to be more between believing that there is no god, and not believing that there is any god. Yes, there is a difference.

Of course, not believing in a god is more passive if the idea was never taught to you to begin with.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Shambling Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: January 22, 2011, 04:32:22 pm »

I think I fall into the "I want to believe, but there's no evidence, so I don't" camp with most paranormal stuff, including religion.

I mean, I'm not against the world having higher meaning. I just don't see it, in any way, and in fact see some evidence directly opposing it, which is a shame.

Nonetheless, the universe is a freaking cool place even without all that stuff, full of far more wonders, mysteries and worth than I need to be happy.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: January 22, 2011, 08:49:09 pm »

Atheism can only be a religion when any god proves it's existence and that Atheist still disbelieves in that god...
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #2382 on: January 22, 2011, 10:05:33 pm »

Let's just cut off all discussion about definitions of irreligion, atheism, theism, agnosticism, and whatever else.

Instead, we really need to first define "religion". Can't really argue about something if we don't know what we're arguing about.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: January 22, 2011, 10:15:20 pm »

belief that mythical supernatural forces intervene in the universe and\or define moral values.

belief in mythical supernatural forces in general.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 10:22:33 pm by Askot Bokbondeler »

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2384 on: January 22, 2011, 10:26:04 pm »

That is not a definition of religion, that is a definition of spirituality.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 194