Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187795 times)

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #2295 on: January 21, 2011, 06:22:41 am »

For example: See a few pages back where a single position somehow became "a belief system". *facepalm*
You mean the position that God exists?

I guess that's also why most identify as Atheist since all that unites us is a lack of belief in whatever a divine being is supposed to be.

God, gods, immortal megawizard, whatever you want to call the concept that Theism is based around.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: January 21, 2011, 09:34:32 am »

For example: See a few pages back where a single position somehow became "a belief system". *facepalm*
You mean the position that God exists?
No, the one where I said that depending on the definition of religion, that atheism could also be considered one. Not saying that it is, but some atheists are so aggressive in their point of view that it's kinda stupid.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: January 21, 2011, 09:42:16 am »

No, the one where I said that depending on the definition of religion, that atheism could also be considered one. Not saying that it is, but some atheists are so aggressive in their point of view that it's kinda stupid.
I knew that, but I like to mess with them ;)
It was finally determined that the position that needing evidence for a God is a belief system, since you believe in that evidence. I don't know where the facepalm comes from, other than failure to understand.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: January 21, 2011, 09:46:15 am »

As I said, depends on your definition. Some people consider a religion any belief system in a higher force or something. And nonexistence isn't really high up, much less a force.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: January 21, 2011, 10:00:24 am »

A force higher than what? Nature is a higher force, and for instance science believes in nature.

My argument for it being a religion was not the shared non-belief in God, but the shared belief in "evidence".

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: January 21, 2011, 10:02:03 am »

It was finally determined that the position that needing evidence for a God is a belief system, since you believe in that evidence.
Man, doesn't it all go in circles, on and on.
With such a broad definition of belief, every perception can be called so, including one's own existence, making it synonymous with philosophy, which makes the whole conversation meaningless - we're talking about atheism and religion, not philosophy.
Still, in the case you've provided, it actually can't be a belief - one can't believe in the evidence that doesn't exist. But you most likely meant evidence as an idea, in more general sense, in which case the above point still applies.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: January 21, 2011, 10:05:35 am »

A force higher than what? Nature is a higher force, and for instance science believes in nature.
Well higher than humans obviously. And there are or were quite a few nature worshiping religions.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: January 21, 2011, 10:44:51 am »

With such a broad definition of belief, every perception can be called so, including one's own existence, making it synonymous with philosophy, which makes the whole conversation meaningless - we're talking about atheism and religion, not philosophy.
Semantics. A dictionary was quoted, and the definition given there fitted what you call philosophy. I just like to rile up the atheists by calling them religious, since they appear to hate the term, even though the dictionary contains more than their definition of the word.
I just like the irony ;)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: January 21, 2011, 10:45:42 am »

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: January 21, 2011, 11:00:50 am »

The point is, by any less broad definition of belief, the fact that god doesn't exist is not a belief.
Or if you prefer, the existence for the non existence of god have the same strength that those for the existence of potatoes.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: January 21, 2011, 11:03:25 am »

Hey! I like potatoes!  >:(
And you don't need to believe in their existence, since they're pretty much proven to exist.

Yeah I'll stop being a smartass now.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: January 21, 2011, 11:33:06 am »

Semantics. A dictionary was quoted, and the definition given there fitted what you call philosophy. I just like to rile up the atheists by calling them religious, since they appear to hate the term, even though the dictionary contains more than their definition of the word.
I just like the irony ;)
You know, if we're talking semantics, this behaviour could be easily called trolling.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: January 21, 2011, 11:39:13 am »

I'm perfectly aware of that. It's a fine line between pointing out the irony of someones statements and insults. However, if I may generalise, there's been a lot less theist trolling than atheist trolling here, so I've got some catching up to do there. ;)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: January 21, 2011, 11:48:41 am »

I just like the irony ;) I am a troll
Fixed.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: January 21, 2011, 12:07:51 pm »

Oh relax, I'm just attacking your ideas, not you personally.

More irony, or more troll? Who can tell? Goes around comes around, perhaps? :D

Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 194