Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187727 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #2280 on: January 20, 2011, 02:14:02 pm »

Nope, there is a point, they're just not aware of it, nor are they even capable to understand it. There being a point to it all is my comfort.
Really?  Why would God's existance have any more purpose than your own?  I mean, I suppose a God's existance would mean you're pointless in a more complicated way, but still...

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: January 20, 2011, 02:28:45 pm »

Yey, we may be pointless in ways we cannot understand, and cannot prove anything. ::) This whole universe has been designed to humiliate us.  >:(
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: January 20, 2011, 03:08:16 pm »

Really?  Why would God's existance have any more purpose than your own?  I mean, I suppose a God's existance would mean you're pointless in a more complicated way, but still...

Expanding on this, purpose is subjective.  Value judgments (e.g. good and evil) are subjective.  You may value God's opinion above your own, or above all else for that matter, but it's still an opinion.  That God may reward or punish you based on your adherence to that opinion does not make it objectively true.  A king may likewise reward or punish his subjects, but I don't hear many people these days using kings as measures of objective truth.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: January 20, 2011, 03:28:57 pm »

I don't believe in punishment or rewards, that's petty human behaviour, fit for children only.

And I don't believe in "our own purpose". Nor in comparing our judgement to that of an omniscient being. You're both anthropomorphising too much.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: January 20, 2011, 03:33:07 pm »

I don't believe in punishment or rewards, that's petty human behaviour, fit for children only.

And I don't believe in "our own purpose". Nor in comparing our judgement to that of an omniscient being. You're both anthropomorphising too much.

I think the mere suggestion that god would have anything we might call judgment is anthropomorphizing too much.  The same goes for the notion that it has what we might call a purpose for its actions.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: January 20, 2011, 03:46:36 pm »

Sure, but I do believe there is something akin to a purpose, even though I can't comprehend its nature. Purpose needs intelligence: therefore there must be a God-something-thingy.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: January 20, 2011, 04:26:33 pm »

Sure, but I do believe there is something akin to a purpose, even though I can't comprehend its nature. Purpose needs intelligence: therefore there must be a God-something-thingy.
Purpose needs emotion... Intelligence is simply a tool to determine the purpose.  At least, IMHO. :p
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: January 20, 2011, 04:38:10 pm »

So uh... you're the only human being capable of offering judgement on this?  Incidentally, why is a completely impossible to understand "purpose" any better than no purpose?

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: January 20, 2011, 04:45:25 pm »

A:  There's a purpose to everything!
B:  What is it?
A:  I don't know.
B:  How do you know there is one?
A:  [insert evidence here]

Fill in the blank.  Points will be deducted for truthiness.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: January 20, 2011, 05:28:19 pm »

Beside you're atheist if you don't believe in a god. A purpose isn't a god.
Hell, even any superior being isn't a god either. You need other godly attribute. (and a definition of superior) .
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: January 20, 2011, 05:37:24 pm »

Beside you're atheist if you don't believe in a god. A purpose isn't a god.
That's mainly why I say purpose is emotion driven.  Each person has different purpose and sense of purpose than each other person.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: January 20, 2011, 05:50:50 pm »

Beside you're atheist if you don't believe in a god.
Or an agnoticist. Or a nontheist.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: January 20, 2011, 07:27:20 pm »

Beside you're atheist if you don't believe in a god.
Or an agnoticist. Or a nontheist.

I wish people would quit wrongly thinking Agnosticism excluded Atheism when they are both a single position that often are adopted alongside the other. While there are people who claim to be "Agnostic" while referring to a ridiculous "can't know anything" position it always ends up being extremely selective in its application and as such is more of a tepid excuse than any real belief. Agnosticism itself, as it was originally conceived, is the position that we should ignore all argument over the existence of things which cannot be proven and stick to what we can know within an observable universe.

Also, nontheism IS atheism. There is only confusion because many of the people who self-identify as Atheist have been too stubborn to switch to a more accurate definition of their beliefs (instead of a single position) and butcher our language because they've become attached to the label. Admittedly I like the whole scarlet letter thing that can be done with 'A'theist, but keeping to the inaccurate label is harming the discourse. For example: See a few pages back where a single position somehow became "a belief system". *facepalm*

The different viewpoints of non-theists are too disparate and based on too limited a point to become any truly cohesive group. I guess that's also why most identify as Atheist since all that unites us is a lack of belief in whatever a divine being is supposed to be.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: January 20, 2011, 07:38:47 pm »

For example: See a few pages back where a single position somehow became "a belief system". *facepalm*
Heh, I love it when a single post of mine makes stuff like that happen.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: January 21, 2011, 06:06:47 am »

For example: See a few pages back where a single position somehow became "a belief system". *facepalm*
You mean the position that God exists?

Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 194