Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187772 times)

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #2205 on: January 18, 2011, 11:12:44 am »

So communism is a religion? There is something wrong with this definition (so is humanism, feminism, pro gun movement...).
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: January 18, 2011, 11:14:36 am »

Photons were not detectable or comprehensible until a few decades ago, but I think a pretty good argument can be made that we needed them. There's nothing to say that we won't find out the same thing about a deity in a few years, or in a few thousand years.  Or maybe there is no deity, or maybe it will never allow us to know for sure if it exists.

I responded to your specific god claim.  Don't use more general gods as a counterargument.

Eh, I'm afraid you have lost me, I've never mentioned any specific god.  Unless you believe I think that photons are god?  I'll respond if you are clearer in your statement.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: January 18, 2011, 11:17:22 am »

4: a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith
This definition is completely meaningless.

And it still doesn't apply to atheism.  Is "I don't think there's a god" a cause?  No.  Is it a principle?  No.  Is it a system of beliefs?  No.  Does it have to be held with "ardor and faith"?  No.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: January 18, 2011, 11:20:57 am »

So communism is a religion? There is something wrong with this definition (so is humanism, feminism, pro gun movement...).

Actually I would call communism a religion.  It's certainly never been proven to actually work like it says in the books.

Religion doesn't necessarily have to be directed at a deity, it's the act of believing in something despite there being no proof for it.

The people who wrote this definition were hedging their bets - notice that all four of the definitions could be fully contained in the fourth definition :)
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: January 18, 2011, 11:24:43 am »

Although they weren't hedging their bets enough to make atheism included...

Remember, "I believe there's no god" = nontheist.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: January 18, 2011, 11:25:14 am »

Definition of RELIGION
1a : the state of a religious <a nun in her 20th year of religion> b (1) : the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2) : commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance

Clearly not.

2: a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices

Hardly, and using religious in a definition of religion is strange.

3archaic : scrupulous conformity : conscientiousness

Nope.

Possibly a principle if wanting some kind of indication of things before blindly following them is a principle, hard to say. Otherwise no.

So using your own definition you prove atheism isn't a religion, thanks :)

Actually I would call communism a religion.  It's certainly never been proven to actually work like it says in the books.

This is actually true of democracy as well, and free-market capitalism for that matter. Not saying your wrong here just adding to the list of things you should consider a religion.

I think it's wrong to kill people on principle too, is that a religion?
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: January 18, 2011, 11:29:46 am »

This definition is completely meaningless.

And it still doesn't apply to atheism.  Is "I don't think there's a god" a cause?  No.  Is it a principle?  No.  Is it a system of beliefs?  No.  Does it have to be held with "ardor and faith"?  No.

1) Is "I don't think there's a god" a cause?  No.

Then why argue about it?

2) Is it a principle?  No.

Then why argue about it?

3) Is it a system of beliefs?  No.

Atheism most certainly is a system of beliefs.  A very simple one, but a system nonetheless.

4) Does it have to be held with "ardor and faith"?  No.

Most people, if they are not holding to Atheism with "ardor and faith" are actually agnostic.  There's a lot of confusion in the world today about the difference between Agnostics and Atheists.  An atheist believes, with no proof, that there is no possibility of the existence of a deity.  An agnostic believes, BECAUSE there is no proof, that it is uncertain if there's a deity or not.  There's a huge difference between these two, but a lot of people just don't see it.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: January 18, 2011, 11:30:35 am »

But "belief in scientific evidence" is a "system of beliefs". And that has been the only argument for not believing in God so far: that there was no evidence. And the ardor that some hard atheists display in respect to those scientific principles makes it a religion, for them.

If you don't believe in science, what do you believe in? Believing in nothing makes you either a nihilist (hey, that's a form of atheism, too, I think we haven't covered that one in the last 500 pages...) or agnostic.

Communism is actually a good example: The early communists wanted to abolish religion because it competed with communism :)

Edit: Ninja'd by bob who says almost exactly the same

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: January 18, 2011, 11:31:22 am »

Most people, if they are not holding to Atheism with "ardor and faith" are actually agnostic.  There's a lot of confusion in the world today about the difference between Agnostics and Atheists.  An atheist believes, with no proof, that there is no possibility of the existence of a deity.  An agnostic believes, BECAUSE there is no proof, that it is uncertain if there's a deity or not.  There's a huge difference between these two, but a lot of people just don't see it.
Then what are people who simply don't care?

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: January 18, 2011, 11:33:17 am »

Careless.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: January 18, 2011, 11:33:41 am »

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: January 18, 2011, 11:34:19 am »

Irreligious

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: January 18, 2011, 11:37:43 am »

1) Is "I don't think there's a god" a cause?  No.

Then why argue about it?
Non-sequiter.  I can think something's true without it being a cause.

If you told me that 2+2 was 5, I would tell you that it isn't, even thought 2+2=4 (or, indeed, mathematics as a whole) isn't a cause.

2) Is it a principle?  No.

Then why argue about it?
Non-sequiter.  See above.

3) Is it a system of beliefs?  No.

Atheism most certainly is a system of beliefs.  A very simple one, but a system nonetheless.
It's not a system.  It is one absence of a belief.  Even if you claim that atheism is a belief (using the logic that "everything is a belief", it's not a system of beliefs.  It's one element.  Your morals and general life outlook are not affected by it at all.

4) Does it have to be held with "ardor and faith"?  No.

Wrong.

An atheist does NOT have to believe that there is no possibility of a god.  To be an atheist, you just have to not believe in one.

I don't think a God is impossible.  I think it's about as likely as invisible fairies in my garden or the FSM, but not impossible.  So I call myself an atheist.

Heck, even strong atheism (belief that there's no god) isn't really a religion.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: January 18, 2011, 11:39:02 am »

An atheist does NOT have to believe that there is no possibility of a god.  To be an atheist, you just have to not believe in one.
And that's where you're wrong.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: January 18, 2011, 11:40:19 am »

Well, if you're applying a ridiculously loose definition of a religion and a crazily tight definition of atheism... sure, I guess I'm not an atheist.  Wow!

On the other hand, that means that, say, Richard Dawkins isn't an atheist either.
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 194