Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187772 times)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #2190 on: January 18, 2011, 10:34:05 am »

This does make me wonder though. What would motivate an omnipotent being to stay unknown?

Would you want 6 billion people bitching at you every day, or a few hundred million people being mostly respectful?

Think about what people would do if they knew for a fact that there was a deity out there that was not only capable of helping them, but was also certain to know exactly the help they "need".

Omnicient and Omnipotent does not equate to infinite patience.  If there's a deity, it's probably healthier for the human race in general that we don't know for sure it exists, or we'd make it so mad, it would wipe us out to shut us up...
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: January 18, 2011, 10:35:44 am »

Atheism is not supportable scientifically. 
Is supported scientifically.
How so?

Because you don't try prove impossible statements such as the disproof of existence. Although in reality atheists are agnostic atheists the modern use of the term agnostic has more often than not been used by those who mearly don't wish to comment and atheist for those who don't believe in a higher power.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 10:40:24 am by Shades »
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: January 18, 2011, 10:37:34 am »

Would you want 6 billion people bitching at you every day, or a few hundred million people being mostly respectful?
The most likely scenario I think. Although if I were God I would say "Hey guys, I exist, but I'm moving to Alpha centauri so you can't reach me." just to be a dick *g*
and the infidels with by ****ed by his glory whenever the time will come.
Now that's just bullying :/

Because you don't try prove impossible statements such as the disproof of existence.
Ah, I thought you meant "Atheism is supported scientifically". Yeah, this makes much more sence.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: January 18, 2011, 10:38:52 am »

The more interesting point to make, I suppose, is that if a deity is omnicient, and omnipotent, AND didn't want humans to know for certain it exists, it would already know every possible way to prove it's own existence and would have designed the universe in such a way as to make proving it's existence impossible.

This god's existence is indistinguishable from its nonexistence, so it's irrelevant.  For all practical purposes it does not exist.

"Ah, but you can't prove it doesn't!" you might say, to which I respond "So?"

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: January 18, 2011, 10:39:35 am »

The more interesting point to make, I suppose, is that if a deity is omnicient, and omnipotent, AND didn't want humans to know for certain it exists, it would already know every possible way to prove it's own existence and would have designed the universe in such a way as to make proving it's existence impossible.

This god's existence is indistinguishable from its nonexistence, so it's irrelevant.  For all practical purposes it does not exist.
God is Schrödingers cat

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: January 18, 2011, 10:41:19 am »

God is Schrödingers cat

It wandered off after getting bored of people shoving into theoretical boxes?
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: January 18, 2011, 10:44:53 am »

God is Schrödingers cat

It wandered off after getting bored of people shoving into theoretical boxes?
Pretty much.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: January 18, 2011, 10:52:35 am »

Omnicient and Omnipotent does not equate to infinite patience.

I'm sorry, but I had to laugh at that.  An all powerful being would not need patience.  Patience would simply not be a concern unless said being had a timetable to follow...
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: January 18, 2011, 10:53:45 am »

Omnipatient? *shot*

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: January 18, 2011, 10:56:09 am »

God is Schrödingers cat
Yeah, I argued that a while ago: if you're omnipotent, you can exist and not-exist at the same time.

Atheists who claim they withhold any belief to wait for (scientific) evidence, believe in evidence. That's a belief. Even worse, it's a religion!

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2200 on: January 18, 2011, 10:59:29 am »

Photons were not detectable or comprehensible until a few decades ago, but I think a pretty good argument can be made that we needed them. There's nothing to say that we won't find out the same thing about a deity in a few years, or in a few thousand years.  Or maybe there is no deity, or maybe it will never allow us to know for sure if it exists.
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: January 18, 2011, 11:00:03 am »

There's no argument to be had for atheism = religion.

* a strong belief in a supernatural power or powers that control human destiny; "he lost his faith but not his morality"
* an institution to express belief in a divine power; "he was raised in the Baptist religion"; "a member of his own faith contradicted him"
It doesn't fit either of these at all.  Look at the second especially: atheism is not an institution, and has no kind of organisation.  It might work if you start twisting the definition of religion, but if you're allowed to do that I'm not sure why any atheists should care.

Atheist = belief has more of an argument to it.  I feel it's more the abscence of belief - after all, atheist is "without a god", not "There are no gods".

God is Schrödingers cat
Not really.  There's nothing to suggest He's in a superposition of existance or non-existance.  It's just "something we don't know and which doesn't matter in the slightest".

Atheists who claim they withhold any belief to wait for (scientific) evidence, believe in evidence. That's a belief. Even worse, it's a religion!
It does NOT fit the definition of religion in any way, shape or form.  I guess you could call it a belief, but it's one that everyone has to follow if they don't want to die almost immediately.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: January 18, 2011, 11:02:20 am »

Aand the point that I've been trying to make is that the "god" you're speaking about have almost nothing to do with most of the gods worshiped around the world.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: January 18, 2011, 11:07:45 am »

Photons were not detectable or comprehensible until a few decades ago, but I think a pretty good argument can be made that we needed them. There's nothing to say that we won't find out the same thing about a deity in a few years, or in a few thousand years.  Or maybe there is no deity, or maybe it will never allow us to know for sure if it exists.

I responded to your specific god claim.  Don't use more general gods as a counterargument.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: January 18, 2011, 11:10:04 am »

There's no argument to be had for atheism = religion.

Please see part 4 of the definition of religion from www.m-w.com
Also note that there is no mention of facts in said 4th definition, so it fits Atheism quite perfectly.

Definition of RELIGION
1a : the state of a religious <a nun in her 20th year of religion> b (1) : the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2) : commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance
2: a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices
3archaic : scrupulous conformity : conscientiousness
4: a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 194