Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187794 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #2085 on: January 17, 2011, 11:47:44 pm »

There's really no point in talking about what if religion never started, because the fact is, it did. There is literally nothing you can do to change that. You can theorize all you want, but it doesn't affect anything and isn't a good basis for any argument.

Since when was practical implication that important for a debate?

Honestly, I have seen debates in the past about 'Does god have a sence of humour?'

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: January 17, 2011, 11:49:16 pm »

Ah, but no matter how advanced we get there will still be people looking towards a higher power.

And must that be a magic man in the sky? A politician, businessman, artist, engineer or scientist of great caliber could fill this roll and get some good done at the same time.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: January 17, 2011, 11:51:06 pm »

I find irony in that 'barbaric' or 'silly' and 'pagan' religions where more scientificly minded than monotheistic religions. They had a different reason for EVERYTHING they could find, and why that reason(usually a god) did such things. Monotheistic religions on the otherhand, the Abramic triad specificly, just says "God did all of this for some reason no human could possibly understnad".

I think the problem is/was more that large-scale organized religion (most notably, the Catholic Church) upheld dogma to the detriment of progress.  Note that progress is not always immediately recognizable.  I don't think monotheism was as important as the institution.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: January 17, 2011, 11:51:36 pm »

And must that be a magic man in the sky? A politician, businessman, artist, engineer or scientist of great caliber could fill this roll and get some good done at the same time.

Perhaps I shouldn't have said greater, Infallible and All-Powerful. Anyone is only a man.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: January 17, 2011, 11:52:06 pm »

It's not part of who I am. Creativity, Fear, and Hatered are part of every individual to some degree, but the existance of atheists shows that religion is not a intrinsic part of human behavior.

Ah, but no matter how advanced we get there will still be people looking towards a higher power.
Or not. You don't know that.
I can imagine at least one hypothetical situation when it's not true: Every human being but Richard Dawkins dies. There, the future is now.

Hey, Max, what's with the double posts?

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: January 17, 2011, 11:53:32 pm »

[sarcasem] Yes, let's make out a human to be the answer many people look up to in times of need and desperation. There is no possible way that could go wrong [/sarcasem
Giveing a person that much power, even if just in the fact people will do what they say with little argument, is NOT a good idea.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: January 17, 2011, 11:55:05 pm »

It's not part of who I am. Creativity, Fear, and Hatered are part of every individual to some degree, but the existance of atheists shows that religion is not a intrinsic part of human behavior.

I don't think that is true. We've come a long way in these last few centuries. Our world today is somthing that Dark Age peons couldn't fathom in their wildest imaginations. The future now is even more uncertain, as our cumulative knowlage continues to increase on an exponential level. There may come a day when religion is a relic of the past, and perhaps there may not. I don't think we can predict it either way, and even trying is pointlessly futile.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: January 17, 2011, 11:57:07 pm »

I find irony in that 'barbaric' or 'silly' and 'pagan' religions where more scientificly minded than monotheistic religions. They had a different reason for EVERYTHING they could find, and why that reason(usually a god) did such things. Monotheistic religions on the otherhand, the Abramic triad specificly, just says "God did all of this for some reason no human could possibly understnad".

I think the problem is/was more that large-scale organized religion (most notably, the Catholic Church) upheld dogma to the detriment of progress.  Note that progress is not always immediately recognizable.  I don't think monotheism was as important as the institution.
Thats not what I mean, I mean in it's essence the idea of one god who did everything for a reason humans can't comprehend is in and of itself backwards compaired to many gods who each did and/or control different things and do what they do for a clearly defined reason. In the case of the Greek gods it's becouse most of them where drunken, psychotic, egomanical, incestuous morons who happend to be born with far more power than a mortal has.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: January 17, 2011, 11:57:27 pm »

Perhaps I shouldn't have said greater, Infallible and All-Powerful. Anyone is only a man.
Bah! Right now, one man by the name of Theo Jansen is building creatures that we want to walk the earth long after he's death. Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson crafted a world that will continue to live on for ages to come. The storys of Hayao Miyazaki will be told for generations to come, and the ghospels accauding to Terry Pratchett are timeless. Anyone is god, if they try hard enough.

As for double posts, I expected somebody to post another reply before I got that one out.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: January 17, 2011, 11:58:45 pm »

You've done it 3 times.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: January 18, 2011, 12:00:22 am »

You've done it 3 times.

Ah, but they were always replys to another person. It's not like I just said what ever and split it into several posts for no reason what so ever.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: January 18, 2011, 12:02:11 am »

In the case of the Greek gods it's becouse most of them where drunken, psychotic, egomanical, incestuous morons who happend to be born with far more power than a mortal has.

Yeah.  The Greeks anthropomorphized their gods just a little too much.  :P

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: January 18, 2011, 12:02:23 am »

But they didn't

What are you going to do? Invent time travel and tell them to stop being retarded fools?
Oh no... please don't.  You'll only encourage them to worship you as their God.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: January 18, 2011, 12:03:47 am »

Oh no... please don't.  You'll only encourage them to worship you as their God.

As true as that is, in greater truth, if I had time travel, why go to the past? The future seems funner.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: January 18, 2011, 12:05:14 am »

Because you go to the past to give them electricity, guns and all that fun stuff and fast forward 1000 years.
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 194