Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187747 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #2070 on: January 17, 2011, 11:22:53 pm »

Would it allow you to sleep at night if I were to change the phrase to "All religions stem scientific advance".
No, because that statement is still assuming the same false dichotomy, just in the opposite direction.
[/quote]

I don't think you get the point of a debate. If something is wrong, you say why it is wrong, not that you refuse to debate the point because it is wrong. That is rather silly, and would mean the the affermitive team was always right no matter what, because there is a debate.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: January 17, 2011, 11:23:51 pm »

But without gravity we would be jettisoned into space, or more importantly we, we meaning life itself, would never have developed.

As is with Religion.

That is a rather large statment to throw out there unfounded. Man kind can live without it's magic man. Athiests do very well in life.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: January 17, 2011, 11:26:06 pm »

But would Human Being as a creative Species exist if not for people thousands of years ago looking at the sky, asking why?
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: January 17, 2011, 11:26:40 pm »

But without gravity we would be jettisoned into space, or more importantly we, we meaning life itself, would never have developed.

As is with Religion.

That is a rather large statment to throw out there unfounded. Man kind can live without it's magic man. Athiests do very well in life.
You're misunderstanding him. He said it wouldn't have developed without it, not that we need it to continue.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #2074 on: January 17, 2011, 11:27:32 pm »

Would it allow you to sleep at night if I were to change the phrase to "All religions stem scientific advance".
No, because that statement is still assuming the same false dichotomy, just in the opposite direction.

I don't think you get the point of a debate. If something is wrong, you say why it is wrong, not that you refuse to debate the point because it is wrong. That is rather silly, and would mean the the affermitive team was always right no matter what, because there is a debate.
The point itself isn't correct or false. In order to argue for either side, I either have to say that ALL religion gets in the way of scientific advancement, or NO religion gets in the way. Neither of which is true. The way you presented the statement is just wrong.

And what did the poor quote tags do to you to deserve that mutilation?

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: January 17, 2011, 11:28:33 pm »

You should just rephrase it to "false".  If you want to stoke the fires of discussion, you need something better than an inane statement that even you claim not to believe.

Given the statement in question, everyone will disagree.  Circle-jerking does not a debate make.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 11:31:37 pm by Earthquake Damage »

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: January 17, 2011, 11:33:11 pm »

You're misunderstanding him. He said it wouldn't have developed without it, not that we need it to continue.

Not only this, but that you will never get rid of Religion for the same reason you will never get rid of Creativity, Fear or Hate.

Its part of who we are.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: January 17, 2011, 11:33:26 pm »

You should just rephrase it to "false".  If you want to stoke the fires of discussion, you need something better than an inane statement that even you claim not to believe.

Given the statement in question, everyone will disagree.  Circle-jerking does not a discussion make.

I'm willing to defend the point. Once again, I don't agree with it, but I think I could atleast hold my own for a while. A gentleman must be able to stand for what he does not beleive in as much as what he does, if only for the principle of free debate.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: January 17, 2011, 11:36:19 pm »

Did we need it to go to where we are? In all reality, yes. Would we have been better off without it? Well that is an interesting idea. When cave men sat down and saw that there was wind, maybe instead of guessing magic thing did it, taking notice that it usely went in a certen direction on hot days, and the other direction on others would have put us ahead.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: January 17, 2011, 11:37:28 pm »

But they didn't

What are you going to do? Invent time travel and tell them to stop being retarded fools?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: January 17, 2011, 11:39:19 pm »

Not only this, but that you will never get rid of Religion for the same reason you will never get rid of Creativity, Fear or Hate.

Its part of who we are.
It's not part of who I am. Creativity, Fear, and Hatered are part of every individual to some degree, but the existance of atheists shows that religion is not a intrinsic part of human behavior.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: January 17, 2011, 11:39:31 pm »

But they didn't

What are you going to do? Invent time travel and tell them to stop being retarded fools?
No, I'm going to debate that we would have been better off without such beleifs. If anybody can understand what a topic is, anyway. I'm thinking it isn't very likely today.

Since when was practical implication that important for a debate?

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #2082 on: January 17, 2011, 11:40:15 pm »

There's really no point in talking about what if religion never started, because the fact is, it did. There is literally nothing you can do to change that. You can theorize all you want, but it doesn't affect anything and isn't a good basis for any argument.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: January 17, 2011, 11:41:51 pm »

I find irony in that 'barbaric' or 'silly' and 'pagan' religions where more scientificly minded than monotheistic religions. They had a different reason for EVERYTHING they could find, and why that reason(usually a god) did such things. Monotheistic religions on the otherhand, the Abramic triad specificly, just says "God did all of this for some reason no human could possibly understnad".
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: January 17, 2011, 11:44:48 pm »

It's not part of who I am. Creativity, Fear, and Hatered are part of every individual to some degree, but the existance of atheists shows that religion is not a intrinsic part of human behavior.

Ah, but no matter how advanced we get there will still be people looking towards a higher power.
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 194