Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187699 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #2040 on: January 17, 2011, 07:04:24 pm »

The red text is because if you guys do not self moderate these talks toady one will shut you down hard. You are only allowed to do this if the OP takes in on to himself to moderate... and that is him moderating.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: January 17, 2011, 07:07:31 pm »

*tap tap tap*
Your right! I am a jerk!
Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: January 17, 2011, 07:10:38 pm »

I did not voice any thoughts on you personally, I was just answering a question.

I am not willing to form any thoughts on someone from one post. I do not believe you are a jerk.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: January 17, 2011, 07:12:56 pm »

Oh but I know I am. I accused another of bad joke mongering based on there willingness to moderate there own thread, and that is a rather jerkish act. Ok, so were all jerks sometimes, and in my defence reading red text will give me a head ace in about 2 seconds (I hate red text! On white backgrounds atleast) but still, it wasn't the right thing to do on my behalf.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: January 17, 2011, 07:14:11 pm »

I gotta go with Max White's argument about knowledge of sin and whatnot.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: January 17, 2011, 07:15:06 pm »

I never thought of the whole "apple" thing as a punishment, or God getting angry. It's more of a natural way: we evolved from animals to humans. As animals we were happy, having no worries or knowledge about death or good and evil. Life just was. Then we gained knowledge, and we now still suffer as a consequence.

The "suffering" is this: Imagine two men leaving for the airport. They both leave at 16:00. There's heavy traffic, and they arrive at the airport at 18:30. Now man A's plane left at exactly 18:00, as it was supposed to. Man B's plane, however, had to leave at 18:00 but was delayed until 18:25, and he can see it take off just as he reaches the gate.

Now which of those to men is unhappier?
Most people will say man B, even though the actual result and situation is the same for both men. It's the knowledge of the plane that makes the "unhappy" thought.

Ignorance is bliss. Really. Even knowledgeable people get the truth crash down upon them. Ignorant people might not even notice ;)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: January 17, 2011, 07:49:48 pm »

Ignorance is bliss. Really.
Ignorance is ignorance. I am very glad to not be Past Me every day of my life, because Past Me was more ignorant than Present Me. Ignorance may be bliss, but enlightenment is euphoria.
Even knowledgeable people get the truth crash down upon them.
If you know about the world around you, then you can see these revelations coming, and have a chance to avoid them. The ignorant have no such chance, and the painful situation cannot be dealt with before it becomes a problem.
Ignorant people might not even notice ;)
If they die from it, perhaps. Otherwise, not very likely.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #2047 on: January 17, 2011, 08:09:03 pm »

I wouldn't trade anything for the thrill of learning. Even bliss.

Not that ignorance actually is bliss. In my day to day I'm no more affected by saddening information than a person who doesn't know it. And because I do know it my highs are higher than they would have been. Happiness is contrast.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: January 17, 2011, 08:26:54 pm »

Oh but I know I am. I accused another of bad joke mongering based on there willingness to moderate there own thread, and that is a rather jerkish act. Ok, so were all jerks sometimes, and in my defence reading red text will give me a head ace in about 2 seconds (I hate red text! On white backgrounds atleast) but still, it wasn't the right thing to do on my behalf.

No problem; you realized your mistake and apologized, everything's cool. I can see your problem with the red text (I'm just ripping it off a different forum I frequent). Is there a color you'd prefer? Unfortunately, I can't do most forms of non-color formatting because I have a tendency to intersperse actual arguments with italics and bold and suchlike, but I'd be happy to switch to a less-painful color.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: January 17, 2011, 08:32:51 pm »

I figure the easiest way for all of us is if from now on, if I see red text, I just copy and past it into a notepad document, that should work.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: January 17, 2011, 08:40:59 pm »

Red text is infinitely cooler than any other possibility, though.

It's like, finality.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: January 17, 2011, 09:30:49 pm »

I myself prefer yellow with a black outline.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: January 17, 2011, 09:32:22 pm »

Oh god my eyes.
That's it, I'm converting to full blown creatonist christian just to beleive in a hell just so I can be happy knowing that you are going there for that post!

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: January 17, 2011, 10:03:34 pm »

...Aaand there is no hope left for this thread.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: January 17, 2011, 10:08:02 pm »

Spoiler: Off Topic (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 194