Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187752 times)

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #1965 on: January 14, 2011, 11:23:27 pm »

He told people to not tell others he as the Messiah.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: January 14, 2011, 11:26:03 pm »

Why would he do that? It doesn't make sense based on my comprehension of how his life (supposedly) went. Could you please explain this?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #1967 on: January 14, 2011, 11:28:17 pm »

There are interesting parallels with the non-canonical Gospel of Judas.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: January 14, 2011, 11:37:32 pm »

Why would he do that? It doesn't make sense based on my comprehension of how his life (supposedly) went. Could you please explain this?

I really can't explain it. I simply can't. A possibility is that he intended to fulfill the Messianic prophecy. But this clearly did not happen.

That is definitely a different take on this.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #1969 on: January 14, 2011, 11:58:10 pm »

That is definitely a different take on this.

Definitely. But it is also a very Gnostic statement that I'm surprised to hear is in the Christian canon. It's especially important that it's in Mark, since that's supposedly the original gospel.

From my understanding of the Gospels and Christianity what's important is faith. Faith is the path to salvation. (Of course there are certain sects that have other beliefs. Isn't it the Calvinists who believe grace is the path to salvation?) But here Jesus almost explicitly states that knowledge is the truly important part. Which is pretty much the basic tenet of Gnosticism.

Now, in the Gospel of Judas it is Judas who is given the secret teaching. But in Mark here all the apostles are given the secret teaching. And since I think Mark predates Judas that gives a canonical basis for the later Gnostic teachings.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: January 15, 2011, 12:52:45 am »

Wait, I thought it was about how the Old Testament was originally a polytheistic Hebrew account of mythology that was later co-opted by politically powerful worshipers of the war god Yahweh, who clumsily edited it to look like it had always been about a monotheistic account of Yahweh?

And the New Testament being written way after Jesus' death, by people who never encountered him.

At least, I think that was what we were talking about.

I was a Christian for some time and what I heard was is nobody knows but everyone assumes the whole thing was written some time after Jesus' death. I'm not very sure though. I don't think anybody knows for sure.

Biblical scholarship is honestly not that hard to find from any side of the equation. The sheer amount of research that has gone into it from Christians, Jews, Atheists, Buddhists, and pretty much anyone means that a simple search in google can provide you with all of the information you require on the topic.

First result of "when mark was written." Oh hey, it's even an atheistic source.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: January 15, 2011, 01:00:23 am »

And then you get guys writing allegories for it, too (CS Lewis, F Scott Fitzgerald...) And everyone has there own take on it... Just mix all of it together and you should get a good idea.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: January 15, 2011, 06:33:46 am »

What's your take on all this?
I think he meant that just "passing the word" and "telling facts" is not enough to understand. Even though you hear the words, you don't fully understand. That's why he used parables, to say something that can't be understood otherwise. In that case, God, or his message, is like poetry: The message is not in the words or their meanings, but in the emotion/feeling they convey.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: January 15, 2011, 07:47:49 am »

I'm stepping foot into the religious threads again, hope I don't mess things up this time  ::)

As I recall, there was a big misconception among the Jews with the idea of what role the Messiah was going to play.  The Old Testament contains prophecies about Jesus's First and Second Comings; first as the suffering servant who dies for the sins of the world in the Gospels, then later as a conquering hero in Revelations.  The general population was expecting the conquering hero Messiah because the Romans were occupying Israel and they desperately wanted to be free.  Jesus's First Coming was about forgiveness and repentance however, and telling people he was the Messiah would only invoke their hope of revolution.  Even the disciples didn't quite get it; later a few of them asked if they could be his right and left hand men when he began ruling his kingdom, to which he said "you don't know what you're asking," and those places were for the robber and murderer who were crucified with Jesus.  Peter even rebuked Jesus when Jesus told them outright that he was going to die and rise again.  (Jesus rebuked him back with the famous "get behind me, Satan!" speech.)

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: January 15, 2011, 08:34:08 am »

Kinda amusing that Mahomet was a conqueror then.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: January 15, 2011, 12:54:41 pm »

I'm stepping foot into the religious threads again, hope I don't mess things up this time  ::)

As I recall, there was a big misconception among the Jews with the idea of what role the Messiah was going to play.  The Old Testament contains prophecies about Jesus's First and Second Comings; first as the suffering servant who dies for the sins of the world in the Gospels, then later as a conquering hero in Revelations.  The general population was expecting the conquering hero Messiah because the Romans were occupying Israel and they desperately wanted to be free.  Jesus's First Coming was about forgiveness and repentance however, and telling people he was the Messiah would only invoke their hope of revolution.  Even the disciples didn't quite get it; later a few of them asked if they could be his right and left hand men when he began ruling his kingdom, to which he said "you don't know what you're asking," and those places were for the robber and murderer who were crucified with Jesus.  Peter even rebuked Jesus when Jesus told them outright that he was going to die and rise again.  (Jesus rebuked him back with the famous "get behind me, Satan!" speech.)

You lost me when you started with the prophecies. One of the reasons Jews don't believe that Jesus was the Messiah is because they weren't told there would be a second coming. Even if Jesus didn't die he didn't fulfill the prophecy.

Kinda amusing that Mahomet was a conqueror then.

I'm not sure he was.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: January 15, 2011, 08:43:28 pm »

Oh he did. I think. i would produce a link by my internet is too weak to find one.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: January 15, 2011, 09:38:01 pm »

Wikipedia suffice.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: January 15, 2011, 09:48:18 pm »

Apparently he politicked his way to power until he raised a force to conquer Mecca.

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/biography/Muhammad.html

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: January 15, 2011, 11:48:49 pm »

Wasn't Muhammad born in the year 570 AD, while Jesus was born in 4 BC?  Yeah not really contemporaries o_O.  Unless we're going to stretch the definition of "contemporaries" to allow a Galileo vs. Hubble telescope debate or something  :P

You lost me when you started with the prophecies. One of the reasons Jews don't believe that Jesus was the Messiah is because they weren't told there would be a second coming. Even if Jesus didn't die he didn't fulfill the prophecy.
This website has a pretty good list of the prophecies we use to justify the first coming.  I know, I know, that website doesn't exactly have the best layout, but at a glance it seems to have everything I was looking for.  True, I couldn't find an exact prophecy that said Jesus would come to earth twice, but when you look at all the prophecies (I'm a bit annoyed how this website says there's about 60 and it only lists 45, this isn't helping my case much...) you start to see a contradiction.  On one hand, the Messiah is going to be betrayed and killed, but on the other, he's going to save Israel.  With that in mind, and along with the accounts of the Gospels where Jesus pretty much explains how role at the time, we Christians believe in a first and second coming.

I'll just rest my case here.  I doubt I've convinced anybody but oh well, that's what we believe, and in a round about way, why Jesus told his disciples not to tell anyone he was the Messiah (at least not tell anyone at the time).
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 194