Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187764 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #1920 on: January 10, 2011, 11:57:25 pm »

The bible clearly states that the Abrahamic God was unable to deal with the iron chariots, I don't know what else to tell you.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: January 10, 2011, 11:58:48 pm »

And another possible interpretation would that by "he" it meant Judah. Not G-d.

And all this could be a mistranslation.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #1922 on: January 11, 2011, 12:03:34 am »

I JUST FELL INTO MY OWN SARCHASM.

Don't worry! I shall lower to you my Rope of Irony! This may take a while, just wait.

The bible clearly states that the Abrahamic God was unable to deal with the iron chariots, I don't know what else to tell you.

I really don't think that passage should be interpreted as god having a weakness to iron. That would be mind-bogglingly stupid. Besides, I'm pretty sure that the inhabitants of the valley are the Philistines, and we all know how soundly they kicked the Israelites asses until David.

And another possible interpretation would that by "he" it meant Judah. Not G-d.

And all this could be a mistranslation.

No, the passage is clearly about Judah the tribe, or perhaps Judah the kingdom. Absolutely isn't about Judah the person.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: January 11, 2011, 12:10:45 am »

Well in that case I'm guessing translation error.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: January 11, 2011, 12:11:35 am »

If YHWH is warded off by iron, maybe he's a Fairy?

ADDING SOMETHING NEW TO THE DISCUSSION

A new high-quality YouTube video made by the user Evid3nc3 adeptly ties together a lot of the history behind the God of the Abrahamic faiths. I suggest watching if you're interested in the origins of the dominant modern religious groups. I also suggest watching the rest of Evid3n3's remarkable on-going series where he describes the process of his transformation from deeply religious Christian to a non-religious position.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlnnWbkMlbg
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: January 11, 2011, 12:16:58 am »

That reminds me! I was thinking about Christianity and Judaism and I came to the conclusion that Christianity and Judaism will split between the Old Testament, and the New Testament which has no creation story.

If so the world view of Christianity will definitely change a lot.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #1926 on: January 11, 2011, 12:18:56 am »

Christianity, Judaism, and Islam are practically the same religion anyway. Just a difference of what teachings they accept or not accept.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: January 11, 2011, 12:20:08 am »

Christianity just added J-sus. And Islam just added Muhammad. And brought back a coupla Old Testament laws.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #1928 on: January 11, 2011, 12:34:03 am »

That reminds me! I was thinking about Christianity and Judaism and I came to the conclusion that Christianity and Judaism will split between the Old Testament, and the New Testament which has no creation story.

If so the world view of Christianity will definitely change a lot.

I really really believe this should happen. I see no reason why Christians should chain themselves to a thousands of years old mythological and historical document when they really only follow the parts of it they like. After all, Buddhism doesn't attach itself to Hinduism even though it's an outgrowth of that religion.

e:
ADDING SOMETHING NEW TO THE DISCUSSION

A new high-quality YouTube video made by the user Evid3nc3 adeptly ties together a lot of the history behind the God of the Abrahamic faiths. I suggest watching if you're interested in the origins of the dominant modern religious groups.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlnnWbkMlbg

That is probably the most scholarly youtube video I have ever seen. I mean, he talks about the Documentary Hypothesis.

Thank you for that.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 12:43:08 am by fqllve »
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: January 11, 2011, 12:53:29 am »

GIVE THE MAN A HARP
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 07:14:27 am by Shade-o »
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: January 11, 2011, 07:43:03 am »

Wait... Uidtome....

If you can't write it down because it would be erased at some point in time, how do you explain Bibles?  That's written, on paper no doubt, and it will eventually be erased through decay.  So if nobody can write down God, He, Him, Jesus, Jawa, or whatever name is being used at the time, how do you read about the religion?  Are you stating the only acceptable method for passing down knowledge about this being is via word of mouth?
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: January 11, 2011, 07:52:20 am »

If you can't say God... don't you end up having problems with praying?

I can say it I just don't write it down because it's doomed to be erased.
Uidtome, I'm sorry of all the questions make you uncomfortable, but I am actually really curius as to what you mean by this?

OK. G-d has a personal name. It is far too holy to say or write down. So we call him G-d. But since it is too holy to be erased (which this will eventually be) you cannot write it down. As paper will decay and this conversation will be deleted eventually.

Just to clarify, I'm fine with any questions about my beliefs.
I think I get it.
But if you cannot write it down because it will be erased, how can you say it when the sound will eventually fade out to nothingness as well?
Love, scriver~

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: January 11, 2011, 08:00:48 am »

Also, a good point.

And that youtube video is very interesting to me (and I've never really been interested in the whole story, to tell the truth.)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: January 11, 2011, 08:20:42 am »

That would be mind-bogglingly stupid.

We're talking about a vicious sadist with a penchant for mass murder and animal sacrifice, here. Having cold iron as his weakness makes perfect sense.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: January 11, 2011, 09:43:46 am »

See, that's what happens when you make your God of War the main guy, he kills all the fact-checkers.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 194