Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187754 times)

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #1830 on: January 09, 2011, 12:00:36 am »

Ah, but it was specifically stated that if the Lord were not 'with them', they would lose. When the Lord was supporting them, they enjoyed continuous victories, except for when they faced chariots of iron which directly countered the divine power.

Besides, chariots were stupid easy to counter and were only good on very flat plains. That they were used in a valley and won despite all this...

However, if God was making his people win without them having any actual capacity as soldiers, that would explain why they crumple as soon as he's not looking.

Wait, maybe God is weak to valleys?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 12:14:00 am by Shade-o »
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: January 09, 2011, 12:04:59 am »

Whether or not we understand 'god' is irrelevant if he isn't real. You two should stop splitting hairs.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: January 09, 2011, 12:06:14 am »

Whether or not we understand 'god' is irrelevant if he isn't real. You two should stop splitting hairs.

Well that sounds ridiculously fun.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: January 09, 2011, 12:31:22 am »

No, dude, "chariots of iron" - it's a prophecy. He basically says that he will be helping his people until cars appear on earth(valley=gravity well. Obvious, really). That's why there are no more miracles today, and that's why atheism rears it's ugly head.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: January 09, 2011, 12:37:29 am »

Whoa
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: January 09, 2011, 01:59:38 am »

...and that's why atheism rears it's ugly head.
I wouldn't call it ugly... I find it refreshing to be able to view the world as a cool mass of randomness evolved.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: January 09, 2011, 09:05:51 am »

No, dude, "chariots of iron" - it's a prophecy. He basically says that he will be helping his people until cars appear on earth(valley=gravity well. Obvious, really). That's why there are no more miracles today, and that's why atheism rears it's ugly head.

There are just as many miracles now as there ever have been.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: January 09, 2011, 12:26:24 pm »

Is Shades a Christian? If so he and I are pretty much the only ones here.

But yes I believe that there are indeed miracles. Although not as many due to a lack of a need for G-d to prove his existence and power.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: January 09, 2011, 12:27:26 pm »

I'm fairly certain e was being scathingly sarcastic there.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: January 09, 2011, 12:28:52 pm »

So I maintain my depressing title as only Christian here?

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: January 09, 2011, 12:31:29 pm »

Would be any consolation if I told you I think your a great person?
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: January 09, 2011, 12:34:34 pm »

Would be any consolation if I told you I think your a great person?

Yes. Yes it would.

Ah, but it was specifically stated that if the Lord were not 'with them', they would lose. When the Lord was supporting them, they enjoyed continuous victories, except for when they faced chariots of iron which directly countered the divine power.

Besides, chariots were stupid easy to counter and were only good on very flat plains. That they were used in a valley and won despite all this...

However, if God was making his people win without them having any actual capacity as soldiers, that would explain why they crumple as soon as he's not looking.

I'm gonna guess that G-d didn't play that big of a roll in the taking of Israel than people think since several of the tribes lost. And I guess they would crumple if he wasn't looking.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: January 09, 2011, 01:53:16 pm »

There are some very interesting examples of 'God' in the old testament. In exodus, when the Jews were leaving Egypt. It says they were lead by god who appeared as a 'pillar of smoke' in the day, and a 'bright fire' by night. But in ancient times armies would be spread out and would follow a pillar of smoke during the day, and a fire at night so they could maintain their cohesion. I imagine many 'example' of God in the old testament came from similar misinterpretations and wishful expansions over the years.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: January 09, 2011, 02:08:52 pm »

Wait, what about cars means God can't help us anymore?

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: January 09, 2011, 03:02:13 pm »

Wait, what about cars means God can't help us anymore?
Convenience, I guess.  It gives "a way out" of the burden of proof. ;)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 194