Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187679 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #1785 on: January 07, 2011, 06:23:28 am »

So you are the puppet of someone in a pointy hat, and don't actually do anything?

*In KaguroDraven's voice*
I'm not a puppet, I'm a real god.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: January 07, 2011, 07:15:32 am »

But... everyone knows that God listens to the Pope.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: January 07, 2011, 07:21:13 am »

Well, that makes one person.
*Ba du, tish!*

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: January 07, 2011, 08:33:55 am »

Not that this isn't preferable to the other typical derail, but does anyone have any actual on-topic discussion?
It's the most amusing one yet :)

If I wanted to speak to one of my dorfs in DF, I'd probably make a dwarven avatar, and phrase stuff so he'd understand. Even then, I can't be sure that the concepts I want to convey make sense to him. I might try again a few more times ("No, you got it wrong!") and then give up. Maybe that's what God did to us. Just raise his arms and go all "whatever, I'm going to regen another universe" and occasionally checks in to see what we're up to.

If God made us all, are we all Artifical Life?

Yes. Yes we are.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: January 07, 2011, 08:45:49 am »

It's the most amusing one yet :)

If I wanted to speak to one of my dorfs in DF, I'd probably make a dwarven avatar, and phrase stuff so he'd understand. Even then, I can't be sure that the concepts I want to convey make sense to him. I might try again a few more times ("No, you got it wrong!") and then give up. Maybe that's what God did to us. Just raise his arms and go all "whatever, I'm going to regen another universe" and occasionally checks in to see what we're up to.

I hope not! I tend to delete my worlds once I'm bored with them.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: January 07, 2011, 09:45:56 am »

Yeah, but if you've got infinite processing power, memory and storage, why bother?

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: January 07, 2011, 12:04:21 pm »

...Wouldn't that be his fault for creating us in a way that we can't understand his message?

Depends.  If we take artificial to be "man made", I'd say no.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: January 07, 2011, 01:29:41 pm »

...Wouldn't that be his fault for creating us in a way that we can't understand his message?
If he would have created us to be able to understand him completely, we'd be her. We would be copies of it, rendering the whole point moot.
Stuff made by aliens is also artificial. I actually find the whole term "artificial" kind of artificial. Humans are part of nature, too, so everything we make is natural, to me.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: January 07, 2011, 01:35:31 pm »

Stuff made by aliens is also artificial. I actually find the whole term "artificial" kind of artificial. Humans are part of nature, too, so everything we make is natural, to me.
Wasn't the perceived artificialness of the universe the basis of the watchmaker argument? Because I thought you were supporting it. Do correct me if I'm mistaking you with somebody else.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: January 07, 2011, 01:52:33 pm »

Except man occurs in nature so we aren't artificial life in a sense.

But because I believe that without G-d then nothing would occur in nature I guess that nothing is natural. Although I'm probably thinking too much into this.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: January 07, 2011, 02:43:41 pm »

If he would have created us to be able to understand him completely, we'd be her. We would be copies of it, rendering the whole point moot.
Not true.  We wouldn't have to understand God completely, just enough so we could understand his message.  I can read and understand a book without being a clone of the author.

I think "artificial" as "man made" is actually fine.  The problem arises more from having "natural" as opposed to it.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: January 07, 2011, 03:34:50 pm »

If you replace "infinitely powerful and all-knowing" with "arbitrarily highly powerful and knowledgeable", then the problem is fixed. Maybe he put in a few simple messages, us loyal programs did more or less what he expected, he had fun, then he went off to play a star trek universe. I'm sure toady expects his dwarfs to do more or less what he programmed them to do, but he's not intending to have a deep conversation with the things.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: January 07, 2011, 04:00:10 pm »

Not true.  We wouldn't have to understand God completely, just enough so we could understand his message.  I can read and understand a book without being a clone of the author.
But you're both human. Would you understand a book written by a dog (if it could write in english)? Probably. Would you be able to write a book that that same dog could understand? Probably not. It has no idea of a lot of human concepts, and might probably understand half of it and just interpret the other half in his own worldview (and that's a safe estimate). It's the interpretations where it goes wrong, as they differ wildly and no-one knows which is right, if any of them is at all.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: January 07, 2011, 04:03:24 pm »

So in spite of knowing that we wouldn't be able to comprehend what he told us, he told us it anyway, and got pissed off when we didn't understand?

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: January 07, 2011, 04:22:57 pm »

I don't think she's pissed off.

Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 194