Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187808 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #1725 on: January 06, 2011, 05:56:14 pm »

Nah, it's a cultural thing.  Although I guess religion may have contributed to the shift in attitudes toward nakedness.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #1726 on: January 06, 2011, 06:15:14 pm »

Part of that "cultural thing" is not freezing to death :P

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: January 06, 2011, 06:16:16 pm »

Eh, depends.

The Celts didn't seem to have a problem with nudity, since they'd usually run onto the battlefield completely naked other than a kindof necklace thing.

The Greeks and Romans didn't seem to have a problem with the human form, either.

optimumtact

• Bay Watcher
  • I even have sheep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: January 06, 2011, 07:52:30 pm »

Yeah I would agree with the statement that the whole culture of hiding away our bodies and sexuality is very much a product of the Abrahamic (is that the right term?) and islamic faiths (possibly the hindu and others but I don't know enought about them), who have very strong views about such things. There are parts of the bible (old testament I think) where it talks about not seeing your brothers/sisters/parents naked. Apparently the KKK used this part for justifying their racist tendencies (not that this is true, they just read into too much). There might of been other religions that advocated this but they were either never organised enough or large enough to have a serious cultural impact.

I would lay the claim that organised religion in all it's forms was one of the major cultural influences on the western world, from the middle ages and still today.

At CrownofFire: Sure it may have been about not freezing to death, but you could make the case that religion lead to clothing becoming more than just a tool to keep warm. They made it a thing of modesty, to hide your sexuality and body was the right thing to do. I suspect that early cultures like the Celts and Greeks/Romans wore clothes to keep warm and it wasn't such a big deal to hide themselves away (much as Leafsnail said).
alternately, I could just take some LSD or something...

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: January 06, 2011, 08:23:06 pm »

I think that this clothes for modesty stuff is indeed a product of Abrahamic religions (optimumtact. Islam is also Abrahamic.) This is especially true with the Haredi Jews.

I really don't see how they can justify racism with that passage and still be such opponents of Judaism.

optimumtact

• Bay Watcher
  • I even have sheep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: January 06, 2011, 09:34:49 pm »

I think that this clothes for modesty stuff is indeed a product of Abrahamic religions (optimumtact. Islam is also Abrahamic.) This is especially true with the Haredi Jews.

I really don't see how they can justify racism with that passage and still be such opponents of Judaism.

Thanks for the clarification on that :)

I don't see how they justify it either, but they do. I guess some people just make up their minds about things and will do anything they can to twist other views or statements to their own perspective.
alternately, I could just take some LSD or something...

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: January 06, 2011, 09:36:55 pm »

Oh you better believe it.

There's this church near where I live. They interpret the passage of G-d marking Cain as G-d making Cain black. Not cool.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: January 06, 2011, 09:55:56 pm »

Bigots are the spice of life.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: January 06, 2011, 09:57:44 pm »

*Looks at Realmfighter*

Man! Is that one sexy racist!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: January 06, 2011, 10:01:13 pm »

The only sexy racist.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: January 06, 2011, 10:03:52 pm »

I stole every other Racists sexy.

It is all mine.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: January 06, 2011, 11:08:29 pm »

The first thing Noah did after the Ark landed was make a vineyard and brew some wine. He then got drunk and fell asleep naked in his tent.

One of his sons, Ham walked in and saw him. Noah then made Canaan, Ham's son, a slave.

The moral of the story is to be really careful around drunks with divine authority.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: January 06, 2011, 11:09:49 pm »

More justification for stealing ham from the grocery store.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: January 06, 2011, 11:10:38 pm »

The guy, not the food.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: January 06, 2011, 11:11:34 pm »

That was the pun.
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 194