Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187719 times)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #1710 on: January 06, 2011, 04:31:09 am »

First of all, you tell me what organised religion's purpose actually is, then I'll tell you something that can fulfill that purpose. Right now, you're telling us to find something that does X thing, without telling us what that thing is. What exactly is the purpose of organised religion that you want to prove there's no alternative to?
Good point. The purpose it serves in this context is solace, hope, and charity through schools and hospitals, and it does so in an organised fashion, on a large scale.

it isn't necessary to be happy when poor
Am I reading this right?

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: January 06, 2011, 04:41:04 am »

First of all, you tell me what organised religion's purpose actually is, then I'll tell you something that can fulfill that purpose. Right now, you're telling us to find something that does X thing, without telling us what that thing is. What exactly is the purpose of organised religion that you want to prove there's no alternative to?

First of all, not long ago, cherry liqure was involved, so my spelling and logic will get worse from here on in, reguardless, lets carry on!

Organised religion is the best brain washing device known to man kind. Smaller, unorginised religion allows, sometimes even encorages freedom of thought. Freedom of thought allows for choice, and choice allows for people to make the wrong choice. When everybody does the same thing, and thinks the same way, there is no wrong way, just the way. What if that involes things we think of as evil? Well it dosn't matter, because the people involved will ne happy with there code of ethics, and therefor live happy lives, in there blindness.

One could dabate that is is wrong that we have all been brainwashed into thinking clothing is required, so that the threads industry makes money off our 'needs', but we like our clothing, and I'm willing to bet that most of us would feel very uncomfortable without it. The church of pats has become so powerful, people don't even relise they worship it any more, it's just part of life. Every organised religion aspires to be like this, so that a common code of ethics is burnt into our minds, and we never think twice about it, so that one day sins arn't something you restrain yourself from doing because of legal action, it is something you just do not want to do.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: January 06, 2011, 04:45:42 am »

One could dabate that is is wrong that we have all been brainwashed into thinking clothing is required, so that the threads industry makes money off our 'needs', but we like our clothing, and I'm willing to bet that most of us would feel very uncomfortable without it.
People like God, and Church too. Also, it's often a social thing: If you don't conform to the group, you're cast out. And you don't need religion for that attitude.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: January 06, 2011, 04:51:46 am »

People like God, and Church too. Also, it's often a social thing: If you don't conform to the group, you're cast out. And you don't need religion for that attitude.

Religen is important for a quick and easy total conversion, because telling someody they should put on pants because you find it offencive to look at there bare ass is one thing, but telling them that a brutal and angry diety will destroy them if they don't is another. Make people think they will realy suffer for doing the wrong thing, and it all goes down smoother.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: January 06, 2011, 04:56:35 am »

If I don't wear pants, I get arrested. Not exactly divine wrath, but wrath nonetheless.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: January 06, 2011, 04:59:06 am »

Still, do you feel comfortable in public without your pants? Yes, there is a right answer to this.

optimumtact

• Bay Watcher
  • I even have sheep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: January 06, 2011, 05:05:10 am »

I often walk around in public with no pants on

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
alternately, I could just take some LSD or something...

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: January 06, 2011, 05:06:11 am »

I often walk around in public with no pants on

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I will destroy you and everybody you care about using a giant russia space lazer. This I beleive to be true.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: January 06, 2011, 05:15:24 am »

Still, do you feel comfortable in public without your pants? Yes, there is a right answer to this.
No, but would a believer be comfortable without God?

Yes, yes, I know this leads to "God is pants".

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: January 06, 2011, 05:25:42 am »

No, but would a believer be comfortable without God?

Yes, yes, I know this leads to "God is pants".

And god is pants.  :D Freeking love that quote. Can I get that stiched into a towel?
Although the truth is that ethics is pants, god is people laughing at you for not having your pants on.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: January 06, 2011, 12:22:56 pm »

Am I reading this right?
Yeah, but I starting writing one sentence and changed it to another without checking which words I'd removed very carefully.  It should be "Have organized religion".

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: January 06, 2011, 02:50:10 pm »

Just for the record, I would love to run around without pants on. There are nudist colonies all around the world full of otherwise very conservative people who do exactly that (but they cost money, and they're not in my area).

It's a shame we live in such sex-negative societies that we can't even run around without pants on if we want to.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: January 06, 2011, 03:37:37 pm »

Who needs pants anyway?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: January 06, 2011, 04:21:40 pm »

Eh, you might be able to find a nudist beach somewhere.  Here they tend to just be open :P.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: January 06, 2011, 05:48:01 pm »

Does anyone think that the shame for nakedness thing came about from religion? And is so what religion?
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 194