Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187823 times)

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #1695 on: January 05, 2011, 11:08:22 am »

Sure don't. Another reason why religion (or lack thereof) should be kept as a private matter. No picketing on street corners. For anyone.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: January 05, 2011, 11:30:48 am »

Sure don't. Another reason why religion (or lack thereof) should be kept as a private matter. No picketing on street corners. For anyone.

This gets into a fuzzy area of whether its' ever a good idea to purposely avoid saying something. I personally try to stay on the side of telling people what I believe. If we get into an argument then only a couple of basic things can happen. I might be right, and plant an idea to correct their idea, thus the other person learns something. I might be wrong, and through superior argument the other person plants an idea in my head to correct what I was thinking. If neither of these things happen, and we are trully on equally shaky ground, then both of us are wiser for considering the other position. Those are all good things. The only thing I see left is if the other person (or myself, I never know) completely rejects all opinions and becomes hostile.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: January 05, 2011, 01:30:13 pm »

Well, I guess we could all agree that organized religion in any form is bad news.
I suppose this thread would never have any reason to exist if every person kept their beliefs to themselves.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: January 05, 2011, 01:49:36 pm »

Organised religion does have its benefits, or at least it used to have them before civilization. Too bad that most of the world still isn't civilised, and therefore it hasn't lost its use.

So I ask an organised-religion-hater: What's the alternative you have to offer to a poor starving (insert any continent name that starts with "A") farmer with no hope of a better life for either him or his children?

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: January 05, 2011, 01:51:50 pm »

Well, I'm no great philosopher, but how do you need organized religion to let you seek consolation in your own belief in afterlife?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: January 05, 2011, 01:54:07 pm »

So I ask an organised-religion-hater: What's the alternative you have to offer to a poor starving (insert any continent name that starts with "A") farmer with no hope of a better life for either him or his children?
Somthing that starts with "I" and ends with "nternational aid groups". What are you advocating we do?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: January 05, 2011, 01:58:06 pm »

Organized religion justifies their belief in the afterlife because humans believe that if many people believe something then it must be true.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: January 05, 2011, 01:58:38 pm »

Lol, as if most of them ever see any of those. There's a reason poor people are more religious. They apparently need it a lot more, and usually haven't got the education to make up their own religion.

I'm not "advocating" anything, I'm just saying that organised religion usually finds fertile ground to grow in places where "hope" is far away. If you disagree with organised religion, what do you propose as a substitute?

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: January 05, 2011, 02:07:09 pm »

Lol, as if most of them ever see any of those.
Some do, and more will over time. Just because we cannot help everybody doesn't mean we should refrain from helping anybody.

There's a reason poor people are more religious. They apparently need it a lot more, and usually haven't got the education to make up their own religion.
I would say that religion flourishes with the poor because it tries to. Poor people are, as the name would suggest, poor. Like you said, they don't recieive as high of an educational standard, but it doesn't have to do with "making up their own religion". It has to do with being exposed to rational arguments about the subject of religion and making their own choices, rather than having the faith of their parents perpetuated upon them and knowing nothing else.

I'm not "advocating" anything, I'm just saying that organised religion usually finds fertile ground to grow in places where "hope" is far away. If you disagree with organised religion, what do you propose as a substitute?
Education and actual help from other people instead of religion-backed promises that almost never pan out and take all of the credit on the off-chance that they do. People in bad situations are capable of helping themselves, they just need to be given the chance.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: January 05, 2011, 04:04:30 pm »

Why can't we just focus on Bill Reilly's argument about the tides?  I mean... I've never studied them, but I know how they work as a piece of general knowledge.

Lol, as if most of them ever see any of those. There's a reason poor people are more religious. They apparently need it a lot more, and usually haven't got the education to make up their own religion.

Grassroots religion?  I mean, most of the people in poor areas did have small, local religions before bigger ones came in and told them theirs was better.  Is there any evidence that those with a tribal religion are less happy due to it?

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: January 05, 2011, 04:52:06 pm »

Grassroots religion?  I mean, most of the people in poor areas did have small, local religions before bigger ones came in and told them theirs was better.  Is there any evidence that those with a tribal religion are less happy due to it?
Good point, but how is that not organised, they're still listening to one guy who says he knows it all?
They converted because the bigchurchguys brought schools, hospitals and western wealth with them. Everybody likes gadgets :)

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: January 05, 2011, 05:26:36 pm »

Good point, but how is that not organised, they're still listening to one guy who says he knows it all?
They converted because the bigchurchguys brought schools, hospitals and western wealth with them. Everybody likes gadgets :)
It depends on how small you're talking about, and what you consider organized. I would think you could have a loose faith in certain traditions without having a formal structure, with leaders and so forth. It could have no particularly holy heros, and be taught from parents to children. I can't think of any decent-sized religion that has no spiritual leader, but I can imagine their being one.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #1707 on: January 05, 2011, 07:50:56 pm »

First of all, you tell me what organised religion's purpose actually is, then I'll tell you something that can fulfill that purpose. Right now, you're telling us to find something that does X thing, without telling us what that thing is. What exactly is the purpose of organised religion that you want to prove there's no alternative to?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: January 05, 2011, 08:15:54 pm »

Also, we don't "enslave" the monkeys and make them build us cars, so why would you think we'd do that to an alien life-form?

I have my 20 year plan back!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: January 05, 2011, 08:20:35 pm »

Not necessarily.  Such beliefs can often just be passed down as a loose cultural idea without any real organisation.  I mean, I guess organized religion could eventually emerge, but the point being made is that it isn't necessary to be happy when poor (even if you require the idea of an afterlife to keep you going),
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 194