Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187811 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #1680 on: January 04, 2011, 06:37:48 pm »

Well the space program is a rather long term program, it will take time before we get to an alien planet where, because they are not human, human rights do not apply, and therefor slavery is back in.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: January 04, 2011, 06:39:34 pm »

Good point!

And this is off topic but I have, at least twice, had a dream that I was a Marine who was part of an invasion of a planet.

Like Avatar but without an alternate motive.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 06:42:06 pm by Urist is dead tome »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: January 04, 2011, 06:58:33 pm »

Well the space program is a rather long term program, it will take time before we get to an alien planet where, because they are not human, human rights do not apply, and therefor slavery is back in.
Many human rights documents use the word "people" rather than "human". I imagine we will have learned enough from our past mistakes by that point to not repeat them, and just declare that "people" means "sapients" rather than "humans". In any case, we need not find alien life anyway. I would say that for now, terraforming Earth's moon and Mars are good long-term goals. I recall a NASA estimate claiming that if we were to start right now, we could give Mars a breathable atmosphere by 2098.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: January 04, 2011, 07:00:00 pm »

So we already have the legal architecture to take care of cival rights in the case of alien slavery?

Well thats my 20 year plan out the window.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: January 05, 2011, 01:10:19 am »

Remember when we talked about Atheism? That was fun. I'm missing it so hard right now.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: January 05, 2011, 07:25:33 am »

Looking at my normal morning websites, and this gem popped up. It's reasons like this that I try to be vocal about atheism.

http://friendlyatheist.com/2011/01/04/dave-silverman-talking-about-the-religious-scam-with-bill-oeilly/
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: January 05, 2011, 07:46:33 am »

So we already have the legal architecture to take care of cival rights in the case of alien slavery?

Well thats my 20 year plan out the window.
I'm pretty sure the "Human" part of Human Rights is considered to be any intelligent being at this point in time.  I'm sure though that you are one of those people who thinks if we repeal the 13th Amendment that people will start selling others into slavery.  I think we've moved beyond that point in our society.  (Sure, there still are people in servitude in parts of the wold, but I'm almost 98% sure that the "Western World" would not go back down that road.)

Also, we don't "enslave" the monkeys and make them build us cars, so why would you think we'd do that to an alien life-form?
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: January 05, 2011, 07:56:00 am »

Looking at my normal morning websites, and this gem popped up. It's reasons like this that I try to be vocal about atheism.

http://friendlyatheist.com/2011/01/04/dave-silverman-talking-about-the-religious-scam-with-bill-oeilly/
Oh my. "Tide goes in tide goes out. You can't explain that."
Too bad he really couldn't, as I wonder how would Mr.O'Reilly react.
Other than that, it's really scary.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: January 05, 2011, 07:57:50 am »

(Sure, there still are people in servitude in parts of the wold, but I'm almost 98% sure that the "Western World" would not go back down that road.)
Commendable, but naive. This stuff still happens a lot in Western countries, especially with illegal immigrants.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: January 05, 2011, 09:16:02 am »

(Sure, there still are people in servitude in parts of the wold, but I'm almost 98% sure that the "Western World" would not go back down that road.)
Commendable, but naive. This stuff still happens a lot in Western countries, especially with illegal immigrants.
Got a source for that?
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: January 05, 2011, 09:53:42 am »

Got a source for that?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery
"the number of slaves today remains as high as 12 million to 27 million"

Edit: oh wait, that's in the world. hmm...
http://www2.palmbeachpost.com/moderndayslavery/
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 09:55:58 am by malimbar04 »
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: January 05, 2011, 10:28:01 am »

That president of that atheist place really came off as a jerk. At least in my opinion.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: January 05, 2011, 10:48:37 am »

That president of that atheist place really came off as a jerk. At least in my opinion.
You're welcome to your opinion, but remember he's facing off against Bill O'Reilly. He could only get in a few words (which he probably practiced saying before he went on the show), and then he had to fight for the entire interview on whether he was insulting people, while he is simultaneously being loudly insulted.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: January 05, 2011, 11:00:58 am »

Oh yeah Bill was being a jerk too. And I am probably being biased against the guest too.

I just think it's kinda hard to claim that all religion is a scam and still say you're not insulting anyone.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 11:03:54 am by Urist is dead tome »

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: January 05, 2011, 11:06:45 am »

Oh yeah Bill was being a jerk too. And I am probably being biased against the guest too.

I just think it's kinda hard to claim that all religion is a scam and still say you're not insulting anyone.
Yeah, I do agree with that. Of course I don't really know any polite way to put it. Do you know of a polite way of saying "everything you believe is a lie, and a lot of the members of your organization don't believe it"?
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 194