Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187796 times)

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #1635 on: January 03, 2011, 02:01:45 pm »

The possibility that we are still on the "seventh" day I think is preposterous. The creation itself might have taken billions of years. Billions of years may have passed. I just think no way we're still on the "seventh" day

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: January 03, 2011, 03:42:40 pm »

So yeah, there's many varieties of Creationism, and only one accepted Scientific explanation. Now, if we take the view that Genesis was not literal (or at least, the people at the time had no idea what the concept of "Day" means to a timeless God), and it might've taken a long time instead of 7 days, where's the argument against that?
It's out of order, chronologically speaking?  I mean, you can see that looking at the fossil record.

Or, alternatively, with enough skilful manipulation, you can turn anything into a metaphor about anything else.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: January 03, 2011, 05:41:14 pm »

He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: January 03, 2011, 05:46:18 pm »

Memories of that overzealous English teacher who forced you to accept that every character, every scene, and every action had a deep inner meaning have led to widespread fear on the part of readers and viewers everywhere that every tale secretly contains some other story being told in subtext.
Yes!  Yes!!  This completely!

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: January 03, 2011, 06:11:53 pm »

I showed it to my English teacher and he laughed and ignored it.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: January 03, 2011, 10:25:56 pm »

I showed it to my English teacher and he laughed and ignored it.

Either your English teacher is cool and already understands, or else he is like all of mine have been and yours will not be fun classes because he really does think Everyone Is Jesus In Purgatory.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: January 04, 2011, 05:11:15 am »

Well, that's a hard balance to find. Do you read everything at face value, or do you "read between the lines", and run the risk that you read more into the story than was actually intended? In the first case, you miss out on a lot, in the second, you get a lot more than you might've bargained for.

But I can be reasonably sure that "Jesus" is an allegory for "Jesus" in the bible.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

optimumtact

• Bay Watcher
  • I even have sheep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: January 04, 2011, 05:15:20 am »

Well, that's a hard balance to find. Do you read everything at face value, or do you "read between the lines", and run the risk that you read more into the story than was actually intended? In the first case, you miss out on a lot, in the second, you get a lot more than you might've bargained for.

But I can be reasonably sure that "Jesus" is an allegory for "Jesus" in the bible.

Actually there is (oo er) a thought, what could you possible read into something like jesus, is it possible to find some other meaning in Jesus?
alternately, I could just take some LSD or something...

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: January 04, 2011, 05:21:35 am »

Well, there's people who think he's actually a Part of God. I don't.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

optimumtact

• Bay Watcher
  • I even have sheep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: January 04, 2011, 05:31:10 am »

Well, there's people who think he's actually a Part of God. I don't.

Woah, isn't that a central tenet of Catholic faith? That God, Jesus and The Holy spirit are separate but also the same?? It's interesting, I've never encountered someone with your view before :)
alternately, I could just take some LSD or something...

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: January 04, 2011, 05:41:00 am »

Woah, isn't that a central tenet of Catholic faith? That God, Jesus and The Holy spirit are separate but also the same?? It's interesting, I've never encountered someone with your view before :)
Yeah, but I'm no catholic. The whole Jesus-is-God trinity thing was created more than 300 years after he died, and there's still a lot of non-trinitarians out there.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: January 04, 2011, 05:44:11 am »

That is debatable. Almost as much as saying 'god is an allegory for 'god'.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: January 04, 2011, 05:48:59 am »

Perhaps it's just a collection of funny memes and the original bible was just a big book of really good inside jokes, like a paper tvtropes.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: January 04, 2011, 05:51:38 am »

It is possible.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: January 04, 2011, 05:57:27 am »

More along the lines of this

Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 194