Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187744 times)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #1620 on: January 03, 2011, 05:18:32 am »

I'll be the crackpot-theory defender. As long as it's even remotely possible and unfalsified, it must be true!

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: January 03, 2011, 05:24:09 am »

Firefox dosn't have built in spell check, and I hate google chrome sooo much...

It compiles web pages from script as it reads, rather then reading the entire page then loading it up. Yea, that makes it faster, but as far as current web architecture goes, it sucks. True, this is an effect of web architecture sucking, so anybody trying to do anything right is against the grain, but it is still annoying.

Also, I have better spelling when I'm writing with a pencil, I don't know why a keyboard stuffs me up.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: January 03, 2011, 05:36:14 am »

FF: Tools->Options->Advanced->General->Check My Spelling As I Type.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: January 03, 2011, 05:40:40 am »

Oooh.  :o
*Clicky clicky*
It... is ticked. I don't understand. The button is ticked and I can mistype all I like and it makes no mention of bad spelling.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: January 03, 2011, 05:45:05 am »

Perhaps it's missing a dictionary?

(sorry guys for the derail)

So yeah, there's many varieties of Creationism, and only one accepted Scientific explanation. Now, if we take the view that Genesis was not literal (or at least, the people at the time had no idea what the concept of "Day" means to a timeless God), and it might've taken a long time instead of 7 days, where's the argument against that?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: January 03, 2011, 05:57:40 am »

How could people not understand a day? The only way to not understand a day would be to not have gone through a 24 hour period of light and dark, and see there is a cycle here that repeats itself, and call it a 'day'. I dare say people have a vivid understanding of a day long before they knew how to speak, let alone teach others.

To say that a day was used as a placeholder for seven instances of time implys that there were seven phases of creation. Take the first instance, when he made light, and the heavens, and the earth, to be the big bang, and creation therefor after following a natural path to get us to a toxic yellow sky earth, and the following days to be the history of earth, with plants, and then animals forming, followed by humans showing up, and then on the last day god resting, and having no more infulance over the world.

Well this makes sence in a metaphorical veiw! We would still be in the seventh 'day', or the time after the initial creation, were as god no longer models the world, and instead we, as humans, are masters of the sky, land and sea.

Just one tiny problem. All storys in the bible happen after this event, and most involve god interacting with the world. So we can take the first story of genisis as being metaphoricaly true, but every story from then on is false, or else god isn't resting on the seventh day (The time after the first 6 phases of creation, what were in now) at all!

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: January 03, 2011, 06:25:41 am »

Maybe he isn't resting as much as playing. I mean, in all those interactions with mankind, nothing, not even the floods of Noah's age, were on Genesis-scale. But yeah, it can be read as a "primal mover" story, that negates everything about Him that comes after.

If you've ever played Sim Earth, you'll know that it's fun to watch, but also fun to "nudge" things here and there.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: January 03, 2011, 06:29:33 am »

If there is a god, and he made all of humanity out of bordom one day, and now he just sort of watches and pokes us, then he isn't a very good programmer.

Toady One the great is doing something of a similar scale with far less resources.  :P

CoughDrop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: January 03, 2011, 06:47:37 am »

Interpreting two-thousand-year-old books in different ways in an attempt to tip the bullshit scale.

...How boring.
"It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think yours is the only path."

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: January 03, 2011, 06:53:18 am »

No way man, awesome fun!
Thousand of years ago, do you think they knew the world was round? Nope? Then how do you expect they had any idea what the big bang was?

Saying interpriting the bible in an apropriate way for todays society is no fun is like saying going to an art exerbition and trying to figure out the message behind the paitings is no fun.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: January 03, 2011, 07:01:43 am »

The Earth was speculated to be round by the time of classical Greece and was established as fact within a few hundreds years using astronomical and geographical studies.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: January 03, 2011, 07:04:42 am »

Classical greese was 2500 years ago at most. Anybody got any idea when the jews started off? I mean jesus, from whom the entire christan religen is based on, was meant to be there king, so the jews seem like a nice path to follow back in time here.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: January 03, 2011, 07:05:37 am »

Ah, but the Genesis story predates those Greeks.
Edit: ninja'd: The jewish calendar is in year 5771 now.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 07:11:14 am by Siquo »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: January 03, 2011, 07:10:29 am »

See! They predicted that the world as we know it was not just there, but formed over many steps. The earth and heavens came before life was here. And plants formed before animals.

GotIt_00

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: January 03, 2011, 01:31:44 pm »

Ah, but the Genesis story predates those Greeks.

It's a story about genesis. By form, creation myths must predate recorded history.
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 194