Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187788 times)

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #1605 on: January 02, 2011, 11:28:18 pm »

And that is the problem of Christianity these days. "As long as you go to church then you're OK." is the general attitude.

And I don't like it. People have gone so far as to say that if you don't got to church the you will go to hell.

I really don't like it.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: January 02, 2011, 11:28:58 pm »

To quote a great internet super star, one of my few heros, (Toady, threetoe, Tossgirl and a girl on DA being the others)
"One in ten christians has ever read the bible"

Now he got this sorce from christan websites. You can look up the youtube channel if you want, its entertaining and eduational. If so few have read the bible, then who realy cares what it says? As long as the one a week hour long ceramony says be nice, then what else matters?
Well, there are still the extremists to worry about.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: January 02, 2011, 11:29:29 pm »

Like me!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: January 02, 2011, 11:31:12 pm »

I think you are using that quote in the wrong context.

Do you have any examples of laws in the New Testament that aren't applicable today?
Matthew-10:37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

Matthew-13:12 For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.

Matthew 18:8-9 Wherefore if thy hand or thy foot offend thee, cut them off, and cast them from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life halt or maimed, rather than having two hands or two feet to be cast into everlasting fire. And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire.

Matthew 19:29 And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life.

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: January 02, 2011, 11:33:16 pm »

I love extremists! They know there beleifs are right, no matter what. Why as long as they know that something is wrong, they will never be lulled into doing it. The problem is that most 'extremists' that you hear about are terrorists on the news, so the word has gotten a bad reputation.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: January 02, 2011, 11:33:45 pm »

Those don't really sound like laws.

I love extremists! They know there beleifs are right, no matter what. Why as long as they know that something is wrong, they will never be lulled into doing it. The problem is that most 'extremists' that you hear about are terrorists on the news, so the word has gotten a bad reputation.

Ya know you're right!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: January 02, 2011, 11:35:28 pm »

Those don't really sound like laws.
Jesus didn't really set anything that counts as a traditional law. If you want to be literal, the Pharisees had Jesus killed for being a heathen to their faith.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: January 02, 2011, 11:36:49 pm »

I thought it was the Romans.

Anyway then I guess there are no laws of the New Testament simply advice.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: January 02, 2011, 11:37:54 pm »

The Romans did the deed physically, but the Pharisees were the ones who persuaded them to do so.
No Gods, No Masters.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: January 02, 2011, 11:43:40 pm »

I havent been reading this whole thread, but I noticed irriducible complexity was mentioned and thought you might find this interesting:
http://www.stellaralchemy.com/ice/index.php
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: January 02, 2011, 11:45:48 pm »

What is that thing anyway?

It seems to be nothing.

Is it anything?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: January 02, 2011, 11:46:02 pm »

I havent been reading this whole thread, but I noticed irriducible complexity was mentioned and thought you might find this interesting:
http://www.stellaralchemy.com/ice/index.php
I'm pretty sure it had been posted here already.

edit: ah, it was you, only in the previous thread!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 11:47:46 pm by Il Palazzo »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: January 03, 2011, 12:54:39 am »

Basically every example of irreducible complexity that has ever been brought forth can be demonstrated to have a plausible evolutionary origin, and even the basic concept of evolution producing complicated, specialized structures is sound (as demonstrated by that link). Basically, "Irreducible Complexity proves Evolution wrong!" is code for "I don't actually know a lot about evolution, but I think I do."

EDIT: I should make clear that I am always happy to see people who are willing to admit that conclusion was premature. Seriously, I have a ton of respect for people who are willing to consider new evidence and revise their understanding of the world to account for it. It's difficult, regardless of one's opinions on faith, and I applaud anyone who can do it. I also sometimes need to be a bit better at it. But this particular issue bugs me, because it's one that is never brought forth by people who both understand what evolution claims happened and understand the mechanisms by which evolution is claimed to operate, because it really just isn't defensible.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 12:58:24 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: January 03, 2011, 01:04:12 am »

Are we doing the evolution debate now? Cool!
Do we have any creationists here to provide counter points? I would, but I have no idea what they see in "There was always every species ever, it's just that mammels only started to die at a certain point in time, and thats why before that there were only reptile fossels!" The arguments just allude me.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: January 03, 2011, 01:06:17 am »

I think I will play the part of the creationist here.

So get started.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 01:11:12 am by Urist is dead tome »
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 194