Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187764 times)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #1590 on: January 02, 2011, 09:05:30 pm »

Religion is just philosophy, but with god(s) to justify it
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: January 02, 2011, 09:06:35 pm »

I know it was mentioned like 10 pages ago, but I don't see how Buddhism would have anything to do with a really 'religion Vs. Athism' discussion. Buddhists don't beleive in a god or gods, they beleive in the teachings of one man who actuilly existed, it's more of a life philosphy than a 'religion' with a god or gods. Other religions should be fair game in this discussion though, like Hinduism.

Most Eastern 'religions' were founded as philosophies but accumulated mysticism and even dogma when they spread among the common folk. Some Buddhist groups even deteriorated into Theocracies.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: January 02, 2011, 09:10:01 pm »

True enough but the main crux of 'Atheism Vs. Religion' is the existance of gods or a god, for such a thing a religion with no deity shouldn't be part of the discussion.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: January 02, 2011, 09:11:15 pm »

That is a good point.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: January 02, 2011, 09:18:08 pm »

Quite ninja'd before I finished, but I'll post it anyway.

I know it was mentioned like 10 pages ago, but I don't see how Buddhism would have anything to do with a really 'religion Vs. Athism' discussion. Buddhists don't beleive in a god or gods, they beleive in the teachings of one man who actuilly existed, it's more of a life philosphy than a 'religion' with a god or gods. Other religions should be fair game in this discussion though, like Hinduism.
Atheism is not necessarily limited to unbelief in God/gods, despite that being it's literal meaning. The reason atheism so often gets confined in such a way is that during the birth and growth of the idea, it has been a very much "western", or west-centrated, construct, pitted against the God of the Christian and Jewish mythologies. Modern atheism isn't just restricted to this or the "western" hemisphere, however, and so to expand it to other parts of the world, a broadening of the concept is required. Thus, atheism, especially modern atheism, should not be seen just as a standpoint on whether or not God exists, but on mythologies in general. Better defined as a point of view which questions the credibility of religion/myths/superstitions in general.

Besides, lots of Buddhist branches have gods, so atheism as unbelief in gods are still very much applicable to it.
Love, scriver~

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: January 02, 2011, 09:20:11 pm »

"Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and shall become united and cleave to his wife, and they shall become one in flesh."

What was it that made you decide to follow this particular verse and not many of the others?
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: January 02, 2011, 09:23:11 pm »

I have found that using actual bits of scripture can lead to two windbags quoting them back and forth at each other for too long.

CoughDrop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: January 02, 2011, 09:28:35 pm »

I have found that using actual bits of scripture can lead to two windbags quoting them back and forth at each other for too long.

Which is why I've given up arguing on the subject. If either person takes anything from the endeavor, it would be that it was essentially a waste of time. In turn, the actual arguments (ITT) are almost exclusively about semantics.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 09:55:45 pm by CoughDrop »
"It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think yours is the only path."

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: January 02, 2011, 09:38:07 pm »

"Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and shall become united and cleave to his wife, and they shall become one in flesh."

What was it that made you decide to follow this particular verse and not many of the others?

You have a list of verses that were applicable to my point?

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: January 02, 2011, 09:43:32 pm »

Well, I can only assume that you do not follow many other pieces of divine advice, as that would make you either a prisoner or the world's greatest supervillain.

If you are indeed incarcerated, then my sympathy to you. If you are on a super crime-spree, then you have severe media exposure problems.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: January 02, 2011, 10:42:11 pm »

I like this guy, I like him a lot. Somebody get him a cookie of hes choice!

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: January 02, 2011, 11:08:55 pm »

Well, I can only assume that you do not follow many other pieces of divine advice, as that would make you either a prisoner or the world's greatest supervillain.

If you are indeed incarcerated, then my sympathy to you. If you are on a super crime-spree, then you have severe media exposure problems.

Once again, many laws of the Old Testament have no meaning today.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: January 02, 2011, 11:13:36 pm »

Many laws of the New Testament have no meaning today. Yet people still attempt to follow all of them. I fail to see how someone claiming to be faithful to their religion can basicly pretend parts of it don't count, when others, just as archaic and idiotic, count anyway. Especially when the major divergance point for 'count' and 'doesn't count' is a man who outright said he came to fulfill those old rules that 'don't count'.
Mind I'm not saying it's all archaic and idiotic, but much of it is, in all religions.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: January 02, 2011, 11:15:46 pm »

I think you are using that quote in the wrong context.

Do you have any examples of laws in the New Testament that aren't applicable today?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: January 02, 2011, 11:25:15 pm »

To quote a great internet super star, one of my few heros, (Toady, threetoe, Tossgirl and a girl on DA being the others)
"One in ten christians has ever read the bible"

Now he got this sorce from christan websites. You can look up the youtube channel if you want, its entertaining and eduational. If so few have read the bible, then who realy cares what it says? As long as the one a week hour long ceramony says be nice, then what else matters?
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 194