Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187797 times)

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #1515 on: January 02, 2011, 05:56:41 pm »

No but as a rebuttal.

Claiming that Christians are weaseling out of the bad stuff in the Bible is ridiculous because many don't use the Old Testament as part of judging what is right and wrong.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: January 02, 2011, 05:58:05 pm »

A lot of the ones I hear use the olld testament quite a bit to back up their claims.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: January 02, 2011, 06:01:00 pm »

Claiming that Christians are weaseling out of the bad stuff in the Bible is ridiculous because many don't use the Old Testament as part of judging what is right and wrong.
Which denomination of christianity do you have in mind specifically?

I was going to call grammar nazi squad, but the religen-guy seem to have left for now.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: January 02, 2011, 06:02:10 pm »

I was going to call grammar nazi squad, but the religen-guy seem to have left for now.

Mainstream in particular.

But if they were mainstream Christians then they probably shouldn't have used the Old Testament for backing their beliefs.*.

Mainstream Christians really should pretty much use only the New Testament because the Old Testament is pretty much just a record of Judaism and events leading to the birth of Christ to them.

*Due to my beliefs heavily influenced by Judaism I would not count myself as part of mainstream Christianity.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: January 02, 2011, 06:05:28 pm »

I quite like another of Voltaire's statements as well.
"Now, now my good man, this is no time for making enemies."
- Voltaire (1694-1778) on his deathbed in response to a priest asking that he renounce Satan.

Look, if you deny the horrific atrocites of the Old Testament (and to a lesser extent, New Testament) and say that the christian god is a loving and benevolent character, it doesn't matter if you use it for right and wrong or not, you are attempting to distance yourself from the parts of the Bible you don't like. I'm simply not going to sit back and watch people use one part of an ancient text to justify their beliefs while at the same time pretending that the less savory parts of said text don't exist.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: January 02, 2011, 06:07:11 pm »

yeah, much of the Old Testament is just a history of the Jewish tribes with some theology mixed in.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: January 02, 2011, 06:08:14 pm »

I'm not denying what the Israelites did nor am I distancing myself from the Old Testament. As earlier said I use the Old Testament for most of my beliefs. But how would you get back you're homeland if it was taken?

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: January 02, 2011, 06:09:57 pm »

I'd fight like hell too.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: January 02, 2011, 06:18:39 pm »

I'm not denying what the Israelites did nor am I distancing myself from the Old Testament. As earlier said I use the Old Testament for most of my beliefs. But how would you get back you're homeland if it was taken?
Homeland?! The Isralites didn't live in the promised land before they conqured it and killed everyone else there! It was the homeland of the people who were already living there. The Israelites of the Old Testament were obviously conquerors acting under a the idea of being in a holy war for land they were "promised".
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: January 02, 2011, 06:18:49 pm »

Are we having fun attacking Urist? Ok, so he has some strange beleif then neither you nor I can understand, and maybe not him. He still believes in this, so as far as I care its like telling somebody there wrong for having blond hair. That is just a fact about him, and he isn't forcing it upon others, from what I have seen . Does he force it upon others?

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: January 02, 2011, 06:23:25 pm »

Not from what he says.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: January 02, 2011, 06:25:17 pm »

I hate those guys! Mostly because I suck at spelling, due to terminal lazyness, and they feel obliged to disreguard anything I say because of it.

Not from what he says.

Then leave him alone! You guys asked him for an opinion, he gave it, you started an onslaught! Freeking mongals.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: January 02, 2011, 06:26:05 pm »

Homeland?! The Isralites didn't live in the promised land before they conqured it and killed everyone else there! It was the homeland of the people who were already living there. The Israelites of the Old Testament were obviously conquerors acting under a the idea of being in a holy war for land they were "promised".

Okay. Say you do a favor for someone. And they promise you a car. You keep doing favors for a couple of weeks. Than it turns out someone stole you're car. It's still you're car. It's just been stolen.

Hence. Their homeland.

And yes. I'maware of the stupidity of this analogy.

I hate those guys! Mostly because I suck at spelling, due to terminal lazyness, and they feel obliged to disreguard anything I say because of it.

Not from what he says.

Then leave him alone! You guys asked him for an opinion, he gave it, you started an onslaught! Freeking mongals.

Actually I've been enjoying myself here.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: January 02, 2011, 06:26:56 pm »

Not from what he says.

It's Mongols. Capitalized and with a second 'o'.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: January 02, 2011, 06:28:25 pm »

It's Mongols. Capitalized and with a second 'o'.

I see what you did there.  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 194