Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187772 times)

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #1425 on: January 01, 2011, 08:55:34 pm »

Plus, the modern dessert banana seems to be headed for extinction. They've had more and more problems growing it in recent years.

Well it has the problem of being a pure culture. Every average-sized yellow banana you eat is the exact same as every other one. If it goes extinct though for whatever reason, they have dozens of alternatives that are nearly as big, just as yellow, and just as sweet. Unless I'm mistaken, it's happened once before, where some parasite killed basically th entire crop of bananas in the world. Those bananas were even bigger I was told.
Actually, without genetic diversity, there are ZERO alternatives. That's the thing about having one type of crop, you get a parasite or something that kills it, say goodbye to everything you have of it. I think that this kind of thing even contributed to the Irish potato famine, so there's a long history to it (just an example that's really well-known, I'm sure there are others farther back).

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: January 01, 2011, 10:10:47 pm »

Christinaity:

God knows everything that will ever happen, but it's your fault if you live a life of sin, even though he knew what was going to happen before you were even born, and did nothing to stop it. (If he were real)
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: January 01, 2011, 10:15:21 pm »

It's you're choice.

And by the way, you may be treading on thin ice there.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: January 01, 2011, 10:21:56 pm »

It's you're choice.
It's "our choice" in the same way it's a shopkeeper's choice to pay a mafia boss protection money or be shot to death.
Is that a threat? I'm honestly asking, I don't know what you mean.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #1429 on: January 01, 2011, 10:31:41 pm »

Ah yes, the problem of free will (predestination). I think this is a problem common to many things though, including time travel.

According to the multiple universe theory, when you make a decision, the timeline/universe splits.

According to other theories, haven't looked into it, so I don't know.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: January 01, 2011, 10:33:23 pm »

*Well I would tweak that comparison so that a Ghost will set you on fire if you don't swear allegiance.

And why would I threaten someone I don't even know? There's nothing I can do besides report you so why use threats?

*I'm making that comparison so that you will be in line with you're own belief.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: January 01, 2011, 10:35:15 pm »

Oh goody, internet religen dabate. These are always so productive...

So tell me, in the spirt of not repeating what has already been said, have we differentiated religen from philosophy yet?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: January 01, 2011, 10:36:55 pm »

*Well I would tweak that comparison so that a Ghost will set you on fire if you don't swear allegiance.
*I'm making that comparison so that you will be in line with you're own belief.
Err...what? And if you aren't going to refute my mafia comparison, are you admiting that your god is malevolent?

And why would I threaten someone I don't even know? There's nothing I can do besides report you so why use threats?
Then what did you mean by:
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: January 01, 2011, 10:39:14 pm »

My (Incomprehensible.) point was that you're comparison is useless because you're an atheist.

And I meant that you could be offending people and by effect could get muted.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: January 01, 2011, 10:44:41 pm »

My point was that you're comparison is useless because you're an atheist.
It is very useful indeed. You claim that we are all at fault for living our lives "in sin" when your god has set impossible goals to not do so. By extension, I would have to think that you are also in support of the argument that "god doesn't send people to hell, they send themselves". I have made the comparison between the actions of your god in setting a bar that no human can reach with a mafia boss extorting shopkeepers to show that your god is acting in a malevolent manner by doing so. I still don't know exactly why you brought ghosts into this.
No Gods, No Masters.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #1435 on: January 01, 2011, 10:47:50 pm »

It is very useful indeed. You claim that we are all at fault for living our lives "in sin" when your god has set impossible goals to not do so. By extension, I would have to think that you are also in support of the argument that "god doesn't send people to hell, they send themselves". I have made the comparison between the actions of your god in setting a bar that no human can reach with a mafia boss extorting shopkeepers to show that your god is acting in a malevolent manner by doing so. I still don't know exactly why you brought ghosts into this.
He's saying that you think of his god holding as much validity as a ghost setting fire to you.

Which is probably true...

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: January 01, 2011, 10:48:18 pm »

Quick question: Can we just rip the bible in half and pretend that only the new testiment counts?

I mean are you realy going to condem a rather large group of people for some moral lessons that are no longer applicable in todays society, when the moajrity havn't even read the bible?

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #1437 on: January 01, 2011, 10:49:32 pm »

Quick question: Can we just rip the bible in half and pretend that only the new testiment counts?

I mean are you realy going to condem a rather large group of people for some moral lessons that are no longer applicable in todays society, when the moajrity havn't even read the bible?
That the moral lessons aren't applicable in modern society is exactly why many Christians reject many laws in the Old Testament.

And why would a non-Christian really want to read the bible?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: January 01, 2011, 10:51:00 pm »

That the moral lessons aren't applicable in modern society is exactly why many Christians reject many laws in the Old Testament.

And why would a non-Christian really want to read the bible?

Know thou enermy? Be entertained? What else do you do in a motel? I don't know...

I read some of it, but I'm agnostic, heading towards athiest, but I value what christans do for society too much.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: January 01, 2011, 10:54:41 pm »

He's saying that you think of his god holding as much validity as a ghost setting fire to you.

Which is probably true...
It is true. Doesn't change a word I have typed.

No. Jesus said that he came to fufill the old law, not to abolish it. Old Testament counts, no matter how much people want to shout that it doesn't.

I'm certainly going to condemn them for being hypocrites who pick and choose from the parts of the Bible they like/are told to like while, yes, sometimes not reading it themselves. (Unless by "large group" you don't mean the christians themselves, in which case I don't know who you mean.)

I read some of it, but I'm agnostic, heading towards athiest, but I value what christans do for society too much.
What does that have to do with anything? Christians are people like you and me, most of the things they do have absolutely nothing to do with being christians. They are no more valuble to society than atheists, or anyone else for that matter. Even so, what they do shouldn't stop you from making choices about the existance of gods.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 194