Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187729 times)

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #1410 on: January 01, 2011, 02:17:30 am »

Creationism that doesn't take Genesis completely literally is compatible.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #1411 on: January 01, 2011, 02:25:25 am »

I've heard Christians claim that God created the Earth then sort of "nudged" evolution in the right direction or something. Come on, they say God's omniscient, you think that if God was, God wouldn't be able to see into the future to see what happens?

Anyway, I don't believe in it, so I don't really care :P
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 03:01:25 am by CrownofFire »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: January 01, 2011, 02:30:16 am »

I should have specified that I meant Young Earth Creationism in my post, then. It's just so prevalent I assumed we were talking about it when mentioning Creationism.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: January 01, 2011, 03:53:07 am »

Ok, problems with evolution:
-Irreducable compllexity
-Time (all sorts of math attempts out there which claim to prove that evolution would never have been able to happen in 4 billion years
-I'm sure there are others

There

aren't

problems

The entire Creationist/Evolutionary-ID movement is run on disinformation and by religious conservative groups trying to spread their fairy tales into science classrooms.
Less % Biologists disagree with the Theory of Evolution than there are Historians who deny the Holocaust. Maybe if more teachers would actually teach it correctly instead of contributing to the mass ignorance there wouldn't be the same trite arguments wheeled out ad nauseum.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: January 01, 2011, 04:14:56 am »

I think you are confused my lad.

I think if the majority accepts it it is no longer a crack pot theory. And since when did anyone try to pass it off as science?

I assure you it does not say instant in the Scriptures. And I believe that the process of creation took thousands of years. And it was done by G-d. Sounds like creationism to me. I am quite religious. And yet I realize the merit that the theory of evolution has. It would appear to me that that would make them compatible.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: January 01, 2011, 04:44:18 am »

We can do evolution, abiogenesis, or cosmic origination. Mushing them all together... Just no.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: January 01, 2011, 05:27:09 am »

I am quite religious. And yet I realize the merit that the theory of evolution has. It would appear to me that that would make them compatible.

Abrahamic religious belief is only compatible with the Theory of Evolution if it accepts a deity who set everything in motion long long before life even appeared on Earth. [Evolutionary] Intelligent Design is the incompatible idea touted by people such as Behe that evolution by natural selection is impossible and the only way things could have appeared as they were today was if God fixed the motion of the planets fixed the evolutionary development by intervening in the process.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: January 01, 2011, 06:18:28 am »

I think if the majority accepts it it is no longer a crack pot theory.

The majority have believed lots of crack pot theories over the years, and I wouldn't have said the majority accepts this on but that is a separate argument. Believe something is true doesn't make it so now matter how many agree, unless your doing economics.

And since when did anyone try to pass it off as science?

Since a number of people have tried to push to get it taught along side, or in place of, evolution.

I am quite religious. And yet I realize the merit that the theory of evolution has. It would appear to me that that would make them compatible.

Abrahamic religious belief is only compatible with the Theory of Evolution if it accepts a deity who set everything in motion long long before life even appeared on Earth. [Evolutionary] Intelligent Design is the incompatible idea touted by people such as Behe that evolution by natural selection is impossible and the only way things could have appeared as they were today was if God fixed the motion of the planets fixed the evolutionary development by intervening in the process.

About the only mix that works. Although I fail to see how anyone who understands evolution can't help but be impressed how powerful and elegant it all is, how everything flows so well from such a simple set of rules. Why would anyone want to think that someone mearly created this, it's so sad :(
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: January 01, 2011, 07:19:51 am »

Then it isn't creationism.  The generally accepted definition is "Someone who literally believes in the creation story".  If you believe in God guiding evolution, that'd be Intelligent Design.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #1419 on: January 01, 2011, 07:25:40 am »

Then it isn't creationism.  The generally accepted definition is "Someone who literally believes in the creation story".  If you believe in God guiding evolution, that'd be Intelligent Design.
Look at this. This person is right, Wikipedia says so :P
Creationism is the religious belief that humanity, life, the Earth, and the universe are the creation of a supernatural being. However, the term is more commonly used to refer to religiously motivated rejection of certain biological processes, in particular much of evolution, as an explanation accounting for the history, diversity, and complexity of life on earth.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: January 01, 2011, 07:31:40 am »

Quote from: wordnetweb
the literal belief in the account of Creation given in the Book of Genesis; "creationism denies the theory of evolution of species"
Pretty much all the definitions that say otherwise are wiki variants...

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #1421 on: January 01, 2011, 07:43:20 am »

Quote from: wordnetweb
the literal belief in the account of Creation given in the Book of Genesis; "creationism denies the theory of evolution of species"
Pretty much all the definitions that say otherwise are wiki variants...
Wikipedia does agree with that, look at the second sentence. The first sentence is the literal meaning of creationism.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: January 01, 2011, 07:27:48 pm »

Irreducable complexity has been proven false in just about every case that it's brought up in, much like the whole "bananas are proof that God loves us" thing.  Immune systems, for example, were a big example of a "created" system:  There's one component that tags intruders, and another component that kills them.  How could one function without the other?  Well, they investigated it in a lot of other species that were less-complex, and discovered "Oh hey, here's one where the tagging system also attacks intruders, and here's one with no tagging system at all, just better detection".  Not hard to get from point A to point C once you've tracked down point B.

Banana's are my favorite, because of just how little that person must understand bananas. Most banana's are not sweet and are too fat for the hand, showing color at a time irrelavent to it's yumminess. The version we eat commonly is a very specific breed which humans have created. We bred the banana to be what it is today.

And the "tab to open" is particularly funny, because that's the hard way to open a banana. The stem is very strong. Instead, open a banana from the bottom by pinching the skin. Check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBJV56WUDng
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: January 01, 2011, 07:56:15 pm »

Irreducable complexity has been proven false in just about every case that it's brought up in, much like the whole "bananas are proof that God loves us" thing.  Immune systems, for example, were a big example of a "created" system:  There's one component that tags intruders, and another component that kills them.  How could one function without the other?  Well, they investigated it in a lot of other species that were less-complex, and discovered "Oh hey, here's one where the tagging system also attacks intruders, and here's one with no tagging system at all, just better detection".  Not hard to get from point A to point C once you've tracked down point B.

Banana's are my favorite, because of just how little that person must understand bananas. Most banana's are not sweet and are too fat for the hand, showing color at a time irrelavent to it's yumminess. The version we eat commonly is a very specific breed which humans have created. We bred the banana to be what it is today.
Plus, the modern dessert banana seems to be headed for extinction. They've had more and more problems growing it in recent years.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: January 01, 2011, 08:20:27 pm »

Plus, the modern dessert banana seems to be headed for extinction. They've had more and more problems growing it in recent years.

Well it has the problem of being a pure culture. Every average-sized yellow banana you eat is the exact same as every other one. If it goes extinct though for whatever reason, they have dozens of alternatives that are nearly as big, just as yellow, and just as sweet. Unless I'm mistaken, it's happened once before, where some parasite killed basically th entire crop of bananas in the world. Those bananas were even bigger I was told.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 194