Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187826 times)

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #1395 on: December 31, 2010, 09:29:23 pm »

Because there are hundreds of them and you can see them from the Wikipedia page easier then me typing them all up.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: December 31, 2010, 09:30:09 pm »

Because Wikipedia is a hub for those sources. If you really distrust wikipedia so badly, use it as a launching ground. It is also worth noting that Oxford currently tells it's students to use wikipedia. I certainly don't see why it's hated so badly. Any false changes are reverted within miniutes.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: December 31, 2010, 09:31:57 pm »

It's usually seconds if it's really blatant.  People do stalk the "most recent changes" page.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: December 31, 2010, 09:52:52 pm »

Oh I don't hate Wikipedia. I think it is very well ran I just think it's like going to a wedding in a Halloween costume.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: December 31, 2010, 09:54:59 pm »

People do that, often too. Besides in modern culture the 'traditional' wedding isn't really.....fitting anymore, atleast not for any of the reasons said traditions came into being in the first place. Especially the part about the white dress >.>.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: December 31, 2010, 10:05:48 pm »

For best results, combine the two.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What were we talking about?
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: December 31, 2010, 10:09:05 pm »

I never said I agreed with them, I just pointed them out. Irreducible complexity is more than balanced out by the whole 'common genes' thing and carbon dating has been proven reasonably accurate, but there still are holes in the theory.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: December 31, 2010, 10:18:20 pm »

Irreducable complexity has been proven false in just about every case that it's brought up in, much like the whole "bananas are proof that God loves us" thing.  Immune systems, for example, were a big example of a "created" system:  There's one component that tags intruders, and another component that kills them.  How could one function without the other?  Well, they investigated it in a lot of other species that were less-complex, and discovered "Oh hey, here's one where the tagging system also attacks intruders, and here's one with no tagging system at all, just better detection".  Not hard to get from point A to point C once you've tracked down point B.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: December 31, 2010, 10:32:30 pm »

All this talk about evolution has me thinking about The Panda's Thumb (Yes I am linking to the wikipedia page, I am a lazy person.) by Stephen Jay Gould.
Actually, it's more of a series of essays than a book, but I still found it both informative and entertaining.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: December 31, 2010, 11:46:06 pm »

I only brought it up to show there are (rational) arguments against evolution. See? Discussion. This is good.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: January 01, 2011, 12:08:17 am »

The arguments against evolution aren't rational, they're ignorant. Not to mention that there are still a great deal of people who ascribe to not just intelligent design, but outright creationism, and that is a problem. The influence of pseudoscience on society wordwide is toxic to forwarding an intellectual and progressive civilization, somthing we need to make our world a better place.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: January 01, 2011, 01:11:47 am »

Yeah, I know. But they do present the occasional not-totally-crack-pot theroies.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: January 01, 2011, 02:03:20 am »

So you think that the world will be significantly better without religion? I'm gonna be investigating this.

And I wouldn't call Creationism a crack pot theory. But that's just me.

And I would like to clarify again that Creationism and the theory of Evolution are not incompatible.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #1408 on: January 01, 2011, 02:10:39 am »

So you think that the world will be significantly better without religion? I'm gonna be investigating this.

And I would like to clarify again that Creationism and the theory of Evolution are not incompatible.
I'd just like to point out theistic evolution here.

Also, funnily enough, Catholics and Orthodox Christians accept it more than Protestants :P

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: January 01, 2011, 02:13:57 am »

I didn't say that. I said that the world would be better without pseudoscience, and I'll say now that the world would be better without relgious extremism and theocracy. The negitive impact of moderate religion in a secular and democratic society is negligible.

It's about as crack pot as theories that the majority of people accept get. There isn't any evidence for it, and it attempts to pass itself off as science.

Yes they are. Creationism is defined as a pseudoscientific hypothesis claming the direct and instant creation of Earth and the life on it by a Prime Mover of some type (almost always the abrahamic god). Evolution is defined as the process through which life on Earth gradually came to where it is today. Creationism says it all was just created at once, making it incompatable.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 02:17:05 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 194