Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187773 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #1380 on: December 31, 2010, 12:29:55 pm »

Heh.  Well, you still can't use it as a basis for making emotional decisions when not using your subconscious, no matter how well trained it is.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: December 31, 2010, 08:35:16 pm »

Ok, problems with evolution:
-Irreducable compllexity
-Time (all sorts of math attempts out there which claim to prove that evolution would never have been able to happen in 4 billion years
-I'm sure there are others
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: December 31, 2010, 08:39:33 pm »

-Irreducable compllexity
...Would be a problem if an example of it were shown...

-Time (all sorts of math attempts out there which claim to prove that evolution would never have been able to happen in 4 billion years
...I don't think I've ever seen anyone claim this (sources, please?).  I mean, the fossil record would seem to say otherwise, wouldn't it?

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: December 31, 2010, 08:45:11 pm »

Except the problem with fossil record is that there is no single reliable method that gets an accurate time.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: December 31, 2010, 08:46:00 pm »

Sources Please.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: December 31, 2010, 08:49:25 pm »

It appears my earlier point is no longer valid since I can't find any sources.

And I believe the score is Realmfighter one, me zero.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: December 31, 2010, 08:54:38 pm »

Ok, problems with evolution:
-Irreducable compllexity
...is a psudoscientific argument. If you take out a single component of our systems, the system will most likely continue to function, just not as well or in the same manner. Complex systems are complex because they built up that complexity over time in response to changes in the system holder's enviorment.
Show me. Four billion years is a really, really long time. I don't think any of us can even wrap our minds around just how long of a time that really is.
-I'm sure there are others
And they are all wrong. The Theory of Evolution has been around for about 150 years, and in that time, it's only gotten stronger. If any real evidence came out that rendered evolution false, it would be the biggest biological discovery we've ever made. You would know, I would know, everyone would know because of how large a discovery it would be. Whomever discovered it would be the single most acclaimed scientist in the entire world. But none of that has happened, because nothing disproving evolution has ever entered the scientific arena, and at this rate may never. Probably because, and this is a shocking one here, the theory of evolution is most likely accurate.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: December 31, 2010, 08:56:47 pm »

No way. There simply has not been enough evidence for it to have been getting stronger.

(Keep in mind that I realize that evolution is quite possible and Darwin was a Christian. It is possible to be Christian and in support of evolution.)

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: December 31, 2010, 09:05:21 pm »

We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: December 31, 2010, 09:11:15 pm »

Darwin was a Christian.
About that...

Long story short, Darwin was an agnostic by his own admission. He also took issue in the concept of a omnipotent being when he found out about this little horror of our world.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: December 31, 2010, 09:18:53 pm »

Except the problem with fossil record is that there is no single reliable method that gets an accurate time.
You can just look at the order.  Even if you don't have exact dates on them, it's pretty clear that creatures developed.

Not to mention we actually do have moderately reliable methods to date things that seem to give at least a good relative scale of when things happened.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: December 31, 2010, 09:24:17 pm »

I propose that we do not reference Wikipedia. I think you can use Wikipedia's references but not Wikipedia as a reference.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: December 31, 2010, 09:26:28 pm »

This is a discussion on the internet built upon a foundation of lies, falsification and insanity.

Wikipedia is the best you'll get.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: December 31, 2010, 09:26:53 pm »

Well, anyone with a bit of sense will realise that you can see the sources Wikipedia references from the Wikipedia page.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: December 31, 2010, 09:28:04 pm »

So why not use those sources?
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 194