Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187808 times)

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #1260 on: December 29, 2010, 10:53:53 am »

You would be at the center, always, because it is a global expansion.
But it's not radial, otherwise it cannot be radial everywhere because it would not retain it's same position in the night sky form every point.  It has to be cubic expansion or the galaxies would collide with each other trying to expand away from some other point (in which case it would actually be pushed toward another galaxy.)

We should be able to draw three lines through our galaxy and divide up the sky by measuring the amount of redshift for galaxies that we think are relatively the same distance, measure that again later and the quadrant of the sky that shifts less should be one of the major axises for the expansion.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #1261 on: December 29, 2010, 10:56:32 am »

But it's not radial, otherwise it cannot be radial everywhere because it would not retain it's same position in the night sky form every point.  It has to be cubic expansion or the galaxies would collide with each other trying to expand away from some other point (in which case it would actually be pushed toward another galaxy.)

We should be able to draw three lines through our galaxy and divide up the sky by measuring the amount of redshift for galaxies that we think are relatively the same distance, measure that again later and the quadrant of the sky that shifts less should be one of the major axises for the expansion.
But you can't, because there is no point of origin. You are attempting to find something that isn't there.

By the way, it's not a constant velocity, it's a constant acceleration, it's exponential, because the distance between everything multiplies by X every Y years.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: December 29, 2010, 10:58:45 am »

Man, but it always points exactly toward where you're standing, wherever you go to. You are the center of the universe! Unless you've got a really bad case of megalomania, you should see the ridiculousness of such a conclusion.
You just said the yellow galaxy and another galaxy opposite that are the two most red shifted galaxies and that gave me two points to draw a vector on (that goes through me or damn close.)   This gives me a line of our travel away from the origin of the big bang... and now you are going to tell me that you are taking that back?  (I thought I was getting somewhere...)
But I'm not. It's still the same.

It does go through you exactly. The one yellow galaxy is receeding from you, so the vector points from where you're standing towards it. The other galaxy does the same, but the vector has got the opposite direction. They begin where you are at. The big bang happened in your pants! Which is great, unless you meet another guy who measured the redshifts from his home, and he thinks that his balls are the origin of the universe. Instant fight guaranteed.

Radial means along the radius of the(sky) sphere. What other meaning you had in mind, I don't know.

The same distance produces the same redshift. It's the observational data.

edit:
But you can't, because there is no point of origin. You are attempting to find something that isn't there.
I believe that we're trying to explain here why there isn't one.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: December 29, 2010, 11:05:44 am »

And there I've been stupid. remember how I said that your experiment would be hard to put in place?
Well, that was retarded from me. Actually that the first thing that Hubble have done when he discovered the red shift, just not formulated the same way. I don't know how I got past this.

Edit:Ha yes, it's was because you spoke about relative position, which is a very hard information to get. But as it's not actually required I should have known better.

If it was an explosion, like you cannot help but think, we would only go away from galaxy that are not aligned with the center of the explosion, like you said, and those who are past the center.

But that is not the case, if you point a telescope on a distant galaxy, you'd find a shift of the colors of the stars toward the red.
This is only consistent with the hypothesis that they are going away from us. The speed calculated of these star is proportional with the distance (hubble's law). So A) we are ring at the center of the "big bang" (actually that  wouldn't work either, but let's keep it that way)
B) the space is inflating. The star doesn't move, they just stay where they are in a growing space.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 11:08:50 am by Phmcw »
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #1264 on: December 29, 2010, 11:08:00 am »

I believe that we're trying to explain here why there isn't one.
I know that. I'm saying that you can't do it, because we have done roughly the same experiment (same general idea of measuring redshift), and gotten these results.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: December 29, 2010, 11:08:38 am »

Man, but it always points exactly toward where you're standing, wherever you go to. You are the center of the universe! Unless you've got a really bad case of megalomania, you should see the ridiculousness of such a conclusion.
You just said the yellow galaxy and another galaxy opposite that are the two most red shifted galaxies and that gave me two points to draw a vector on (that goes through me or damn close.)   This gives me a line of our travel away from the origin of the big bang... and now you are going to tell me that you are taking that back?  (I thought I was getting somewhere...)

Spinning in circles, which is what we all do if we are close to understanding something but not QUITE getting it. Keep at it, and when you figure it out it's like "holy... really?... that's cool"

Let's assume we were god for a moment, and we knew where all the stars were relative to ourself.

If there were 4  stars in the universe, it might look something like this:
. <- ourself
.  .  .  . <- the stars

Now, you cold say that the CENTER of the universe is between the middle 2 stars (excluding us of course, sense we're only hypothetical). That is a completely fair statement to make. However, if we contract the stars it would look like this to us:
. . . .
The center of the stars are still between stars 2 and 3, that's still fair. the center is not where it was before though, as you can see we're contracting onto the first star. Indeed, if we were to contract it further...
they would get even closer to the first star. The first star is thus the origin. if we contract it all the way to the beginning, we would get
and thus we prove that the first star i the origin. But relativity says that's meaningless, because we could have the EXACT SAME experience if we contracted on any of the stars. why not this model?
.  .  .  .
 . . . .
or perhaps this one?
.  .  .  .
   . . . .
They're all equally valid.
Now combine that with limit of the speed of light, and relativity, and you'll get the crazy world where they're not only equally valid, but the actual center is the same for each perspective. All things are traveling away from us at the speed of light, and have been doing so for the last however many billion years, relative to us.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: December 29, 2010, 11:12:25 am »

All things are traveling away from us at the speed of light, and have been doing so for the last however many billion years, relative to us.

hu? Why at the speed of light? They have traveled away from us at the rate of the expansion plus their speed, not the speed of light.

Your earlier point is valid.

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #1267 on: December 29, 2010, 11:17:09 am »

All things are traveling away from us at the speed of light, and have been doing so for the last however many billion years, relative to us.

hu? Why at the speed of light? They have traveled away from us at the rate of the expansion plus their speed, not the speed of light.

Not speed, velocity :P

But they would get very close to the speed of light (and consequently get all sorts of relativity effects).

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: December 29, 2010, 11:19:23 am »

Oh, sorry. I was a bit fuzzy on teh second point, but I thought it was accurate. Nothing, and especially not galaxies, can travel faster than the speed of light. This is true no matter how fast you are going. For example, imagine 2 people with light-speed rockets traveling away from each other:
A (woo!)<---                 --->(woo!)B
From the perspective of A, B is traveling at the speed of light. From teh perspective of B, A is traveling at the speed of light. Which is crazy, because from the perspective of lonely C as such:
A (woo!)<---         (lonely C)        --->(woo!)B
they're both traveling at the speed of light away from him.

So from A's perspective it looks like this:
A                 CB
But from B's perspective it looks like this:
AC                 B
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: December 29, 2010, 11:21:40 am »

it's a constant acceleration

I thought there was some disagreement over if it was constant acceleration or a reducing (or even increasing) acceleration. I don't really know enough about the numbers to comment directly but just from what I have discussed with people was that it falls within a fairly wide margin of error.

I realise this is a side issue and doesn't change your point at all.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #1270 on: December 29, 2010, 11:24:02 am »

Correction: Nothing can travel AT the speed of light either. That would require infinite acceleration, which means infinite thrust, or an infinite amount of time.

it's a constant acceleration

I thought there was some disagreement over if it was constant acceleration or a reducing (or even increasing) acceleration. I don't really know enough about the numbers to comment directly but just from what I have discussed with people was that it falls within a fairly wide margin of error.

I realise this is a side issue and doesn't change your point at all.
It's not including gravity. Huge margin of error, but like you said, it's a side issue.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: December 29, 2010, 11:26:09 am »

It's the "all things" that is wrong. Beside I'm not sure that we know hat happen when two bodies are so far away that they should most, relatively to each other, faster than the speed of light, as it's the space that expand, not the object that move by itself.
I didn't have any general relativity, so I don't know.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: December 29, 2010, 11:27:44 am »

Nothing, and especially not galaxies, can travel faster than the speed of light.
Through space, certainly. But if the space itself is stretching, then the apparent velocity of the distant galaxies can exceed the speed of light, making them forever dissapear from our sight(and since no interaction can act faster than the speed of light, it's o.k. to say that they are dissapearing, or escaping, from our universe).
The speed limit(c) of the General Relativity applies only to the movement through space itself.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: December 29, 2010, 11:30:28 am »

Just a side note...
this is really freaking interesting.

Oh, and you guys are right that I misspoke. they're not all traveling the same rate, and that rate isn't exactly the speed of light (slightly less), but the concept holds still, right?

Nothing, and especially not galaxies, can travel faster than the speed of light.
Through space, certainly. But if the space itself is stretching, then the apparent velocity of the distant galaxies can exceed the speed of light, making them forever dissapear from our sight(and since no interaction can act faster than the speed of light, it's o.k. to say that they are dissapearing, or escaping, from our universe).
The speed limit(c) of the General Relativity applies only to the movement through space itself.
And what is the difference?

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #1274 on: December 29, 2010, 11:35:15 am »

And what is the difference?
It's basically the difference between how they appear to be moving, and they are actually moving. They're not actually moving, the space between them is stretching. At least not including gravity and other forces. It's essentially the basis for this entire argument.
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 194