Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187770 times)

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #1170 on: December 28, 2010, 12:06:26 am »

is he wrong? you know, for us outsiders your word is as good as his, if yours is the true faith it should give you some perk over false faiths, though, or your god is as good as any non existing gods.

then i'll be persistent, do you mind if i ask the wiccan gods for a sign first? and how persistent should i be? when should i decide, well, this god aind gonna respond to me so i better move on to the next on the list, hey buddah! yo listnin, bro?

That sounds like it may be blasphemy.

Anyway. I don't have much experience in this department. but I guess you would have to really want to receive salvation. Like really want it. Make changes in you're life. That sort of thing.

I do believe that G-d told me something in a dream. Possibly twice.

And I don't think of atheists as outsiders I think of them as atheists.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 12:10:09 am by Urist is dead tome »

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: December 28, 2010, 04:25:24 am »

I think the poeple that blew themselves in the WTC had a strong faith, and a VERY strong desire for salvation.
Answer this question then, will they be saved. If not, why?
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: December 28, 2010, 06:37:57 am »

It's not that religious people are special. It's that atheists actively deny G-d.

It's not that we deny god, it's that she isn't real it's like denying santa, ghosts or the invisible teapot orbiting the earth. And religious people are special and should be treated as such, we have institutions that can help delusional people.

I think the poeple that blew themselves in the WTC had a strong faith, and a VERY strong desire for salvation.
Answer this question then, will they be saved. If not, why?

Minority extremists of all religions tend towards violence but aren't a good sample of the whole in any case. Of course your right in that according to what they imagine to be true they will have their salvation.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: December 28, 2010, 06:51:48 am »

Not only that, but they have shown remarkable level of faith and followed the word of their god to the end., both being religious vertues, so where did they go wrong?
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #1174 on: December 28, 2010, 06:55:49 am »

Not only that, but they have shown remarkable level of faith and followed the word of their god to the end., both being religious vertues, so where did they go wrong?
They followed the word of other humans, not the word of their god. That is where they went wrong.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: December 28, 2010, 07:02:29 am »

They followed the word of other humans, not the word of their god. That is where they went wrong.

According to them it's the word of their god. The fact it was the word of people doesn't make much odds really.
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: December 28, 2010, 07:05:57 am »

And you tell the difference... how?
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #1177 on: December 28, 2010, 07:10:34 am »

They listened to other humans. You never take religious advice from anybody except yourself. Religion should be completely personal.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: December 28, 2010, 07:11:42 am »

They listened to other humans. You never take religious advice from anybody except yourself. Religion should be completely personal.

In your view. Not in theirs. There isn't a difference though.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: December 28, 2010, 07:15:21 am »

Of course, it gets back to the omni-benevolence thing.  The true creator would not approve of such silly humans altering the structure of those shiny buildings and even those pesky viruses living inside.

Also, I know this was a page or so back... but for those saying something along the lines of attacking a holy book is bad:  As an atheist there's really no difference between any holy book and the latest edition of The National Enquirer in my eyes.  If I were to call that publication a worthless pile of feces, how is that any different?  You are treating "holy book" as something special in a world where equality is thrown out the window.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 07:18:17 am by Andir »
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: December 28, 2010, 07:17:37 am »

(devil's advocate) The problem here... if I take the advice of my inner self, it tells me that I should kill the others so that I have more room to do my stuff.  Now, I'm not listening to others.  In fact, I hate the others because they have something I need.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: December 28, 2010, 07:18:37 am »

Do we still take advice on taking religious advice, though?

However, wouldn't refusing to share the ultimate truths of the universe be rather selfish?

It appears we have a conundrum. Somebody get me a Moebius strip and a kitten in a box!
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: December 28, 2010, 07:23:13 am »

but for those saying something along the lines of attacking a holy book is bad:

Depends what they mean by attacking. Burning/destroying books I'm kinda against for various ingrained reasons. But I have no objection to people attacking it's content, the same way you should any fiction book that claims to be non-fiction. Or any non-fiction book that needs to be corrected as new information comes to light.

However, wouldn't refusing to share the ultimate truths of the universe be rather selfish?

Most religions are inherently selfish so that actually goes well with it :)

It appears we have a conundrum. Somebody get me a Moebius strip and a kitten in a box!

How about a möbius kitten?

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: December 28, 2010, 07:29:50 am »

Most religions involving more than one person involve some sort of Telling-People-Things. Preaching, evangelism, missionaries, services, pamphlets, all that. They are Right Path > Everybody gets on Right Path > Everybody Wins.

Keeping it to yourself means it's much more complicated. For example, it could mean that you have discovered the belief to be false and you don't want to drag other people down, you have discovered a horrible Cthulhu-esque truth and don't want to drag other people down, or you get satisfaction from seeing the rest of humanity dragged down from your own inaction.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #1184 on: December 28, 2010, 07:32:53 am »

Do we still take advice on taking religious advice, though?

Not selfish, you should figure it out on your own. I'm not giving advice, I'm telling you to think for yourself. You want to find the gods, find them on your own. Be responsible for your self.

(devil's advocate) The problem here... if I take the advice of my inner self, it tells me that I should kill the others so that I have more room to do my stuff.  Now, I'm not listening to others.  In fact, I hate the others because they have something I need.
You don't listen to yourself, you listen to the gods.

Of course, it gets back to the omni-benevolence thing.  The true creator would not approve of such silly humans altering the structure of those shiny buildings and even those pesky viruses living inside.

Also, I know this was a page or so back... but for those saying something along the lines of attacking a holy book is bad:  As an atheist there's really no difference between any holy book and the latest edition of The National Enquirer in my eyes.  If I were to call that publication a worthless pile of feces, how is that any different?  You are treating "holy book" as something special in a world where equality is thrown out the window.
A holy book is just more indoctrinated organized religion. You shouldn't need a "prophet" to tell you what to believe. Think for yourself. I'm not against believing in the books, I'm against blind belief without question.
Most religions involving more than one person involve some sort of Telling-People-Things. Preaching, evangelism, missionaries, services, pamphlets, all that. They are Right Path > Everybody gets on Right Path > Everybody Wins.

Keeping it to yourself means it's much more complicated. For example, it could mean that you have discovered the belief to be false and you don't want to drag other people down, you have discovered a horrible Cthulhu-esque truth and don't want to drag other people down, or you get satisfaction from seeing the rest of humanity dragged down from your own inaction.
Or it means that I believe that religion should be discovered on its own, without outside influence. Preaching tells somebody to believe. I want to tell people to question their beliefs, not blindly follow them. You can tell people that no matter what religion you are. The conundrum comes in when you look at those that use those tactics themselves.
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 194