Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187722 times)

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #1155 on: December 27, 2010, 06:57:33 pm »

about reincarnation, it's a different body, a different personality, you have no memories of your past life, the only thing you retain is your god damn good for nothing friggin soul! but if it gives you a fuzzy feeling, go ahead and believe it, good for you.
i just don't get it, though, every religious person is so special that his god personally speaks to him, but us atheists must really be worthless, cuz no god wants nothing with us... i know i'd convert if jesus christ personally descended to earth to tickle my balls...

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: December 27, 2010, 06:58:38 pm »

Ask and it shall be given.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 09:45:38 pm by Urist is dead tome »

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: December 27, 2010, 07:00:06 pm »

Khan I assure you he thinks you're belief (Or lack thereof.) is silly.
Oh, quite possibly. BUT NOW I FEEL INSULTED AND OFFENDED AND I'M GONNA CRY AND CALL THE MODS YOU INCONSIDERATE RUDE RESPECTLESS PRICK!!!!11

...oh blimey.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: December 27, 2010, 07:04:49 pm »

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: December 27, 2010, 07:06:20 pm »

In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: December 27, 2010, 07:31:27 pm »

Khan I assure you he thinks you're belief (Or lack thereof.) is silly.
Oh, quite possibly. BUT NOW I FEEL INSULTED AND OFFENDED AND I'M GONNA CRY AND CALL THE MODS YOU INCONSIDERATE RUDE RESPECTLESS PRICK!!!!11

...oh blimey.
Relax. We'd like you to be considerate is all. We're not whining or banning you or ignoring you. I'm not personally insulted, and it's likely that other people have a pretty thick skin when it comes to your insults.

However, it was stated that the point of this thread is to try to convince others. Being so absurdly rude (and uncreative in your insults) makes you look like a child, and does a great deal to regress the thread down to a 3rd grade level, resulting in very little convincing. Don't misunderstand me, you have some good points. We'd like them to be heard though, and maybe even have them plant a seed of thought in a believer.

Let me put it this way, suppose I wanted to teach you how to comb your hair. Then suppose I went about it like this "BUT I THINK UNCOMBED HAIR IS STUPID AND GRUNDGY". How effective is this? Suppose I went about it like this "Oh pardon me, people who don't comb their hair are just perfectly clean, and their tangled hair isn't at all nasty". How effective is that? You change peoples mind not like this, but by showing them examples of what it would be like to have combed hair (look at how pretty that girls combed hair is!), or by putting the idea in their head of their flaws (man, theres no way a girl could run their fingers through that hair!).

No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: December 27, 2010, 09:46:29 pm »

i just don't get it, though, every religious person is so special that his god personally speaks to him, but us atheists must really be worthless, cuz no god wants nothing with us... i know i'd convert if jesus christ personally descended to earth to tickle my balls...
It's not that religious people are special. It's that atheists actively deny G-d.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 09:55:05 pm by Urist is dead tome »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: December 27, 2010, 09:48:45 pm »

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: December 27, 2010, 10:57:24 pm »

yes, but we do it because we have no good reason not to, god never spoke to us like he did to you. don't forget allah also speaks to his believers, and mormons and wiccans get fuzzy feelings, etc. do you get fuzzy feelings from wiccan gods too? do you actively deny wiccan gods? is CrownofFire deluded and wiccan gods do not exist? or is it you who is deluded? why should we take your word over anybody else's and follow your religion?
many people get doubts about their religion and ask god for a sign, i'd suppose god would understand someone who lost both his son and wife in a car accident getting doubts about his supreme benevolence, and asking him for a sign instead of downright renouncing ones belief is an act of great faith, why doesn't god talk to those people, though?

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: December 27, 2010, 10:59:06 pm »

this is why god does not talk to humans any more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5ISiPl0GjU

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: December 27, 2010, 11:09:04 pm »

yes, but we do it because we have no good reason not to, god never spoke to us like he did to you. don't forget allah also speaks to his believers, and mormons and wiccans get fuzzy feelings, etc. do you get fuzzy feelings from wiccan gods too? do you actively deny wiccan gods? is CrownofFire deluded and wiccan gods do not exist? or is it you who is deluded? why should we take your word over anybody else's and follow your religion?
many people get doubts about their religion and ask god for a sign, i'd suppose god would understand someone who lost both his son and wife in a car accident getting doubts about his supreme benevolence, and asking him for a sign instead of downright renouncing ones belief is an act of great faith, why doesn't god talk to those people, though?

I think that one must have persistence. I don't think that CrownofFire is deluded. I just don't agree with him.

And some would say that he does talk to those people. Once again. I believe that if you keep asking for an answer, it will be given.

Hence quoting Scripture with "Ask and it shall be given."

this is why god does not talk to humans any more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5ISiPl0GjU

That's only proof of Hell.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: December 27, 2010, 11:19:30 pm »

I think that one must have persistence. I don't think that CrownofFire is deluded. I just don't agree with him.

is he wrong? you know, for us outsiders your word is as good as his, if yours is the true faith it should give you some perk over false faiths, though, or your god is as good as any non existing gods.

then i'll be persistent, do you mind if i ask the wiccan gods for a sign first? and how persistent should i be? when should i decide, well, this god aind gonna respond to me so i better move on to the next on the list, hey buddah! yo listnin, bro?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: December 27, 2010, 11:36:41 pm »

I think that one must have persistence.
Reasonable persistence is one thing. Spending your entire life (the general time frame demanded by religions when waiting for favors from god) devoted to doing somthing demonstrably false (more on that below) is quite another.
And some would say that he does talk to those people.
Then prove it.
Once again. I believe that if you keep asking for an answer, it will be given.

Hence quoting Scripture with "Ask and it shall be given."
Here is a study on the effects of prayer in healing heart surgery patients. For those of you too lazy to read, it found that prayer only increased the chances of complications developing (likely from the stress of knowing that other people expect you to make a divine recovery through their efforts) and healed no one. Then, of course, there's the old question of why no god will heal amputees, or do anything else supernatural. That's just healing, but so far no one has given even a drop of proof that any kind of prayer does anything to help anyone.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 11:40:50 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: December 27, 2010, 11:39:31 pm »

In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #1169 on: December 27, 2010, 11:44:20 pm »

Oy, this thread got busy. Not as crazy as a couple days ago, at least.

First of all, the Wiccan Rede is NOT The Golden Rule. It doesn't say anything about how you want to be treated. When combined with the Rule of Three, MAYBE, but not with it along. The Wiccan Rede is ADVISING you to harm none (not JUST harm none, but it's very roughly shortened, don't try to say it's "harm none"), the Golden Rule tells you to treat others how you want to be treated. The Rede is just a piece of advice, advising you to harm none, it doesn't say anything about doing good. The Golden Rule explicitly TELLS you to do good (or bad if you're a masochist I suppose :P).

By the way, I believe that every god and goddess has aspects, or rather is a "facet" of, the God and Goddess. So basically, when you worship X other god(s), you're really just worshiping certain aspects of the God and/or Goddess. It's not strictly wrong, but it's not the whole "truth". In other words, every religion (and even atheism) has elements of truth to it. It's a strange concept to wrap your head around, but my opinion is that people pick and choose their gods, and I just chose the "right" ones.

I'm not going to try to convince anybody though, Wicca is very strong on personal responsibility, so you'll figure out what's right eventually, on your own.

And now do you see what I mean by unnecessary conflict? :P
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 194