Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187794 times)

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #1110 on: December 27, 2010, 01:24:31 pm »

My parents are Christian, I believe in reincarnation and am pan-/polytheistic. How do you explain that?

The New Age religious movements are all about escaping the confines of more traditional religions and establishing oneself with a new "cleaner" version. In your case the indoctrination comes in the form of a need for religion itself and the emphasized search the vague concept of greater in your life. The search for meaning essentially.

Guessing your particular religion is pretty much impossible due to overlapping beliefs. You'd have to give us specific hints before we'd have a reasonable chance of tracking it down and our guess would depend on you understanding the more common version of that religion since it's very possible that in coming to your own understanding you've adopted a label that doesn't apply. Given what little you've said about your beliefs I can see similarities in Hinduism, Jainism, and the other Asian religions.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #1111 on: December 27, 2010, 01:28:43 pm »

My parents are Christian, I believe in reincarnation and am pan-/polytheistic. How do you explain that?

The New Age religious movements are all about escaping the confines of more traditional religions and establishing oneself with a new "cleaner" version. In your case the indoctrination comes in the form of a need for religion itself and the emphasized search the vague concept of greater in your life. The search for meaning essentially.
Eh, perhaps, but that's applied to all religion as a whole. With that definition, I could have just as easily gone into... say, Buddhism.

And yeah, there's tons of overlap, but I can't really think of any hints that wouldn't give it away. Looking at the Wikipedia articles of those various religions should help. The religion I have is on that chart, too.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: December 27, 2010, 01:40:51 pm »

To jump to his aid, that isn't what indoctrination is. Overall desire to join something is no more indoctrination than choosing to buy a mac instead of a dell or no computer.

Eh, perhaps, but that's applied to all religion as a whole. With that definition, I could have just as easily gone into... say, Buddhism.

And yeah, there's tons of overlap, but I can't really think of any hints that wouldn't give it away. Looking at the Wikipedia articles of those various religions should help. The religion I have is on that chart, too.

So... you consider yourself <religion X>, but are afraid to say what it is because you think some of the beliefs are crazy?
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: December 27, 2010, 01:45:27 pm »

To jump to his aid, that isn't what indoctrination is. Overall desire to join something is no more indoctrination than choosing to buy a mac instead of a dell or no computer.

I probably misspoke when I referred to it as indoctrination but your comparison is way off. The equivalent would be something closer to how society pushes certain norms onto us such as when it's appropriate to drink, that one should get married, etc.

Sinned

• Bay Watcher
  • <Intentionally left blank>
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: December 27, 2010, 01:48:11 pm »

Neo-pagan, easy guess would be Wicca, but that's on the chart. Could be a shamanistic one, often lots of deities. Not really guessing here. To many as I pointed out.

I gotta agree on the overlap thing. (neo)Paganism, shamanistic believes have a royal butt-load of overlap. From reincarnation, karma, god(s). Traditions set on the seasons and specific dates.

I for one haven't been able to put myself in any box yet... I don't feel the need though to do so. (and if someone did manage to do so for him/herself, good. That's not the point.)

When you find yourself in the company of a dwarf and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon... just the dwarf.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #1115 on: December 27, 2010, 01:51:58 pm »

So... you consider yourself <religion X>, but are afraid to say what it is because you think some of the beliefs are crazy?
Not that they're crazy, not really anymore. I'm just having fun with people trying to guess it.

I probably misspoke when I referred to it as indoctrination but your comparison is way off. The equivalent would be something closer to how society pushes certain norms onto us such as when it's appropriate to drink, that one should get married, etc.
I believe the appropriate time to drink is never (you can drink if you want, but it's just stupid to do it) and marriage is unnecessary (just a formality), so where does that put me? :P

Neo-pagan, easy guess would be Wicca, but that's on the chart. Could be a shamanistic one, often lots of deities. Not really guessing here. To many as I pointed out.

I gotta agree on the overlap thing. (neo)Paganism, shamanistic believes have a royal butt-load of overlap. From reincarnation, karma, god(s). Traditions set on the seasons and specific dates.

I for one haven't been able to put myself in any box yet... I don't feel the need though to do so. (and if someone did manage to do so for him/herself, good. That's not the point.)
Ding ding ding, we have a winner! Wicca it is :D

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: December 27, 2010, 01:55:37 pm »

Really? You were shy about Wicca?

Also, I didn't think Wiccans believed in reincarnation

Edit: Also, Wiccans are actually relatively popular. I dated a Wiccan once online
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: December 27, 2010, 02:00:07 pm »

Aren't female Wiccans called witches?

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: December 27, 2010, 02:04:38 pm »

For one he's male according to his profile
For two... I always thought that was only if they actually practiced the magic. Otherwise the term is Wiccan I think.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: December 27, 2010, 02:06:39 pm »

Oh I know he's male. I was just wondering. You don't get many Wicca where I live.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: December 27, 2010, 02:09:52 pm »

I didn't think Wiccans believed in reincarnation

Me neither, which is why I was stumped by one of the more common New Age choices. Wikipedia seems to back him up though.

Why would you be ashamed of being a Wiccan anyway?

Quote from: CrownOfFire
I believe the appropriate time to drink is never (you can drink if you want, but it's just stupid to do it) and marriage is unnecessary (just a formality), so where does that put me? :P

Escaping our society's norms (or accepting them on your own terms) isn't an all-or-nothing process. So long as you understand why you're searching for meaning in religion then I can't really accuse you of falling in line.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: December 27, 2010, 02:14:06 pm »

Oh I know he's male. I was just wondering. You don't get many Wicca where I live.

I couldn't sling a dead cat without hitting a Wiccan during the course of my life. Seriously, I've always had at least one within an arms-throw for the last... ten years.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Sinned

• Bay Watcher
  • <Intentionally left blank>
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: December 27, 2010, 02:17:39 pm »

I couldn't sling a dead cat without hitting a Wiccan during the course of my life. Seriously, I've always had at least one within an arms-throw for the last... ten years.

Depending on where you live though, it can be easier or harder for them to step forth and admit it... I know a few good villages in my country where you better keep that to yourself. You won't be burned these days... but you might become a social outcast very easily.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 02:19:37 pm by Sinned »
When you find yourself in the company of a dwarf and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon... just the dwarf.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: December 27, 2010, 02:19:52 pm »

Depending on where you live though, it can be easier or harder for them to step forth and admit it... I know a few good villages in my country where you better keep that to yourself. You won't be burned these days... but you might be a social outcast very easily.

I wonder how much of this has to do with people being completely unaware of what they believe. I know I've had to argue against more than a few people who thought wicca was satanism.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #1124 on: December 27, 2010, 02:25:05 pm »

Really? You were shy about Wicca?

Also, I didn't think Wiccans believed in reincarnation
Not shy, just didn't feel like creating unnecessary conflict around it. Not exactly the most popular of religions, especially around fundies (WICCA IS DEVIL WORSHIP HERP DERP). But yeah, lots of unnecessary baggage that comes with it.

And yes, reincarnation. It's generally accepted in Wicca.

It depends. I don't know much about Wicca in general (I've mostly just been reading into it, don't have any actual stuff for it), but from what I've read, it seems to depend on the person. Some people call Wicca "Witchcraft" or "The Craft", but it's generally inaccurate. Wicca refers to a religion, and witchcraft refers to a magical practice, to paraphrase a nice site, full of information. I recommend the Wicca 101/FAQ thing for some quick reading if you want. Witch is a gender-neutral term too. But generally speaking, not all witches are Wiccan, and not all Wiccans are witches.

I didn't think Wiccans believed in reincarnation

Me neither, which is why I was stumped by one of the more common New Age choices. Wikipedia seems to back him up though.

Why would you be ashamed of being a Wiccan anyway?

Quote from: CrownOfFire

Escaping our society's norms (or accepting them on your own terms) isn't an all-or-nothing process. So long as you understand why you're searching for meaning in religion then I can't really accuse you of falling in line.
I search for meaning in religion because... hmm. Well, it's because of belief really. I have no real reason to believe what I do, I just... do. I can't really explain it. But I just feel that Wicca is... right. It feels right. It's a weird feeling too, kind of... warm. Christianity never gave me that. I never felt a connection to the world through Christianity, it just felt empty. So I guess I'm searching for a deeper meaning and understanding of the world, and myself. Mostly myself though. Religion should be a personal journey.

Never met another neopagan, let alone another Wiccan. You'd think there'd be more around one of the greenest cities in the world, but nope. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough. It's a solitary religion though, so that explains most of it.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 194