Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187707 times)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #1095 on: December 27, 2010, 11:21:00 am »

It provides no insight at all.
It provides us with insight into his lack thereof ;)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: December 27, 2010, 12:11:59 pm »

Sorry, that only applies to indoctrinated religion, which I also disagree with.

Try again, Y/N?

Y

I look at what I think you specifically believe.
I see a religion that is not indoctrinated. Instead it is... wait... what religion isn't indoctrinated?
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: December 27, 2010, 12:13:31 pm »

No religion is not indoctrinated.

He's a madman.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #1098 on: December 27, 2010, 12:14:55 pm »

Try again, Y/N?

Y

I see a religion that is not indoctrinated. Instead it is... wait... what religion isn't indoctrinated?
My religion. Neither of my parents have the religion I do. Fuck, I don't even know anybody else that has my religion. And it's not a "personal religion" either. It has an established name and history.

My parents are Christian, I believe in reincarnation and am pan-/polytheistic. How do you explain that?

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: December 27, 2010, 12:23:40 pm »

So you believe that you're gods did not create the universe and there are multiple deities?

And reincarnation? I believe that it happened. (Duh.)

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: December 27, 2010, 12:43:42 pm »

Try again, Y/N?

Y

My religion. Neither of my parents have the religion I do. Fuck, I don't even know anybody else that has my religion. And it's not a "personal religion" either. It has an established name and history.

My parents are Christian, I believe in reincarnation and am pan-/polytheistic. How do you explain that?

That is interesting, that you joined a religion that someone else didn't teach you. I know you said you'd prefer not to disclose the specifics, but I think it's necessary at some point. We can not argue against your specific beliefs very well if we don't know what they are. Thus, we're arguing against mainstream christianity
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: December 27, 2010, 12:45:58 pm »

Yeah it is kinda useless keeping this whole thing secret. I mean you simply can't have a debate about something you know nothing about.

Sinned

• Bay Watcher
  • <Intentionally left blank>
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: December 27, 2010, 12:53:40 pm »

It does actually... it stops organized religion and people interpreting to the masses of "What GodX meant to say!" (and often at one point or another, for their own benefits.)

There is no need to get into specifics, he's not debating his religions, he only tried to say he follows a belief that was not indoctrinated to him/her by the parents/society. Even more so if it's only to disprove the fact that there can be religions that are not indoctrinated. If this was not the case, one could easily throw down a brandname, holy book and the belief/faith card.

A person keeping his religion to his/herself is the least of the worlds problems... Start getting worried when they start building churches. (insert flavor building of your choice here...)

Bonus points if he/she never raises their child to follow their own believes... my parents did so. It's not unheard off.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 12:58:01 pm by Sinned »
When you find yourself in the company of a dwarf and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon... just the dwarf.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #1103 on: December 27, 2010, 12:57:10 pm »

So you believe that you're gods did not create the universe and there are multiple deities?

And reincarnation? I believe that it happened. (Duh.)
Essentially, yes. The gods are basically natural parts of this world. They're both immanent (in the world) and transcendent (beyond the world), hence the pantheism (You see that tree? Be nice to it, or it's going to bite you in the ass. Figuratively, of course, unless that tree reincarnates as a snake, and you happen to be vacationing in the wrong spot :P). But as far as actual creation goes, it doesn't matter. Either the gods were transcendent in the beginning, and caused the big bang or whatever, or they arose after the big bang. Either way, it doesn't matter. They're largely natural and neutral though, mostly apathetic to life as a whole. There's also many elements of panentheism. As I said before, the gods are transcendent and immanent. In the universe, permeating it, but also beyond it. The material does not exclude the spiritual.

And yeah, reincarnation. Means there's no hell for you to go to. Also means that I don't give a fuck what you believe. I believe I get extra "perks" by believing, but beyond that, no punishment for non-believers. Just beware of "what goes around, comes around" kinds of things.

And yes, I know I have to disclose at some point, but my religion involves a lot of beliefs that are... generally not accepted. It's not anything huge like racism or human/animal sacrifice, but it would probably lead to plenty of people that would call me crazy. It's also because I'm not 100% sure that this is the one religion I want. There are plenty of other specific beliefs to argue though. It's mainly just a matter of the name of the religion being unimportant, and me wanting to keep it to myself.

I will admit that I will tell you what religion I believe in if you can find it (probably wouldn't be too hard though).

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: December 27, 2010, 01:08:04 pm »

I got real curious and found a chart. Couldn't find one that lined up with you're beliefs.

Anyway it's none of my business either way.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #1105 on: December 27, 2010, 01:10:50 pm »

I got real curious and found a chart. Couldn't find one that lined up with you're beliefs.

What chart is that? I want to see if my religion actually is on it.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: December 27, 2010, 01:12:37 pm »

http://www.religionfacts.com/big_religion_chart.htm

Closest one I thought was Cao Dai.

Sinned

• Bay Watcher
  • <Intentionally left blank>
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: December 27, 2010, 01:12:51 pm »

I can give a (very, very generic) pointer, pagan ;)

But there are to many and often very personal flavors out there to pick just one. Seeing he's not into sacrifice, we can rule out old fashioned druidism :P (and yes that was a joke... put the stick down)

But Karma was mentioned, reincarnation also... A generic god (maybe two even, often opposites) or shared conscious...

This could go be an entire new topic/thread to have fun with... Guess my religion! :P
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 01:15:37 pm by Sinned »
When you find yourself in the company of a dwarf and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon... just the dwarf.

NaziBad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: December 27, 2010, 01:12:55 pm »

Religion is reverence for the cause of your action. What wills you to do as you do. Religion ultimately is reverence of life and the cycles of time. Atheism in modern times is really just a reaction to indoctrinated religions(read my sig, though I'm not Atheist), i.e., what the Judeo-Christian beliefs speak of; read this book and find God. Ta-da!
"Better is one's own law of works, swadharma, though in itself faulty than an alien law well wrought out; death in one's own law of being is better, perilous is it to follow an alien law." - Bhagavad Gita

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #1109 on: December 27, 2010, 01:23:03 pm »

I can give a (very, very generic) pointer, pagan ;)

But there are to many and often very personal flavors out there to pick just one. Seeing he's not into sacrifice, we can rule out old fashioned druidism :P (and yes that was a joke... put the stick down)

But Karma was mentioned, reincarnation also... A generic god (maybe two even, often opposites) or shared conscious...

This could go be an entire new topic/thread to have fun with... Guess my religion! :P
Neopagan, but close enough. But which "flavor" is the real question.

The chart doesn't quite accurately describe what I believe though, just a hint.
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 194