Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187824 times)

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #1065 on: December 26, 2010, 11:46:26 pm »

Look down, then back to me.

This thread is now semantics.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: December 26, 2010, 11:50:28 pm »

So?...
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: December 26, 2010, 11:51:20 pm »

So it has been derailed far, far way from the origina topic.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: December 26, 2010, 11:52:07 pm »

It was reasonably close until this page.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: December 27, 2010, 12:55:26 am »

All massive threads get derailed. It's a fact of lifeforums.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: December 27, 2010, 07:46:33 am »

If semantics is derailment, it has derailed 300 pages ago. Can we just agree that (belief == faith == philosophy) != religion? That'd make everything easier. Even though beliefs and faiths are subsets with different connotations than a personal philosophy, they share the same basics.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: December 27, 2010, 07:51:28 am »

Anyway, a lot has been said, and we're bound to have a bit of repetition. But here's my say on my beliefs, or lack thereof, refined thank to this forum.

I'll make a comparison : I can't scientifically prove that there is no gosh in my room.
The reason is simple : there is no unified gosh theory.
Anyway I don't feel the need to prove it: I've never saw such gosh in action, and the very idea of a gosh haunting my room is all kind of silly.
It, however doesn't mean that I rebuke all idea of life after death.
However, If you add detail such as "the scary gosh of a little girl that will murder you if you don't send this email to ten poeple in the next hour", I'll pretty much laugh in your face, and add your email address to my spam list.

Do I believe in gosh?

It's a complicated problem if your think about it : I don't completely rebuke the idea of life after death, but still won't respond to you chain email.
My stance on the problem is that I don't believe in gosh, because gosh are something of the folklore, and that the hypothetic lasting trace of a deceased human deserve a more fitting name. But it's a purely semantic argument.

It's the same problem with the belief in god.
I won't agree that a traditional belief in god (catholic, Lutheran, Sunni Islam,...) is even remotely reasonable.
However, depending on how much your definition of god is watered down, it may come back to a reasonable level of sense, both scientifically and philosophically.   

Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: December 27, 2010, 08:03:38 am »

why isn't the idea of life after death or of the existence of god as absurd as the idea that a ghost exists in your room? it's just some unprovable thing that somebody pulled out of his ass, and no amount of watering down will change that...

and it's ghost

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: December 27, 2010, 08:10:19 am »

Anyway, a lot has been said, and we're bound to have a bit of repetition. But here's my say on my beliefs, or lack thereof, refined thank to this forum.
Nice way of putting it.

Let me try that...

I can't scientifically prove that a god does or does not exist.
I have, however, seen a god in action.
Now the problem is all those different people with all those different views of what it is that they might have seen as well.
Maybe God is all of those, like a 3D object in flatland, like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
As in: it's all of the above. Or maybe she's not. It's impossible to tell from that brief glimpse I had. So I can either pick&choose, or believe in everything at the same time, or none at all, or disregard the rather profound experience as a "glitch". And I can't seem to choose any of those consistently, I keep switching, or believing all of those, or none of them, or picking and choosing, sometimes per minute even.
It doesn't bother me, but it makes it hard for others to have a consistent "I'm right you're wrong" kind of discussion about it.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: December 27, 2010, 08:12:23 am »

why isn't the idea of life after death or of the existence of god as absurd as the idea that a ghost exists in your room?

It isn't that the idea isn't absurd, but people are terrified by the idea of actually dying so they cling onto any hope they can imagine.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: December 27, 2010, 08:30:04 am »

why isn't the idea of life after death or of the existence of god as absurd as the idea that a ghost exists in your room? it's just some unprovable thing that somebody pulled out of his ass, and no amount of watering down will change that...

and it's ghost

Meh, It's precisely my point.
"the gosh of a little girl will haunt your house I you don't send back this email" is not the same that "After my death, If I still exist, I will do everything in my power to watch after you".

While the first is obvious bullshit (not obvious enough apparently because some poeple still send them), the second is not likely to happen, but who know?
Not all unverifiable claim have the same amount of "unbeliviability".

Siquo, that's what I speaking about. I don't believe in your god, but won't call you a fool : You don't waste too much time trying to please it, keep your free thinking, and it's actually believable. But then again it's a very watered down definition of god, and you could call it something else without impairing it too much. (beside, have your experience proved that "it" was in fact the creator of the universe, or was it merely "paranormal"?)

For me, you're like someone spending one buck every week at the national lottery : most likely won't win anything, but it's harmless, both for you and your entourage.

By comparison, a young hearth Christian is someone that send 500$  weekly to the same Nigerian bank waiting for his billion dollars to arrive.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 08:35:25 am by Phmcw »
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: December 27, 2010, 08:34:04 am »

God is so very obviously man-made (just look at the damned thing; it's 80% wish fulfilment, 15% prehistoric science, and 5% fabrication by power-hungry organisations), the burden of proof really lies on the believers. If they can't prove it, they ought to just exclude themselves from debate.

Amirite?
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: December 27, 2010, 08:49:30 am »

nope, what fun would this thread be if it was full of atheists friendly agreeing with each other?

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: December 27, 2010, 08:51:32 am »

Well now, that's not how it would be. If the one or two religious people we have in here were to be quiet, then it'd all go back to atheists disagreeing rather verbally about how rude one may be in one's approach to the religious.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: December 27, 2010, 08:58:39 am »

ah, yes. although i may not dispute your right to be rude to religious people, theres a limit on how rude you can be on this forum. bear that in mind, for i rather enjoy your company.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 194