Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187813 times)

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #1035 on: December 26, 2010, 10:40:28 pm »

Christian dude up there...people are posting too quickly.
I'm not sure there's even any other Christian dudes here except for Urist.

I feel so special.

No but I believe in most Jewish view of G-d.

Formless, omnipotent, omnipresent, beyond time, just and merciful, (Although often being described as jealous.)
The real decisive factor is whether you believe Jesus was the son of God or not. Also, just and merciful are often described as opposites :P

Askot, Zrk2 hasn't even posted in the past several pages except for agreeing with me.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: December 26, 2010, 10:43:04 pm »

Well G-d as recorded in the Bible (Which is considered worthless here but hey.) did do a lot of different stuff. Led the Israelites to war, killed about thirty thousand of those same Israelites.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #1037 on: December 26, 2010, 10:44:02 pm »

Well G-d as recorded in the Bible (Which is considered worthless here but hey.) did do a lot of different stuff. Led the Israelites to war, killed about thirty thousand of those same Israelites.
God is bipolar then, problem solved.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: December 26, 2010, 10:46:35 pm »

Well I would say His wrath was inspired by their sins. He did also send plagues, caused sinners to be "swallowed up" by the earth.

I would describe it as chutzpah.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: December 26, 2010, 10:49:08 pm »

Askot, Zrk2 hasn't even posted in the past several pages except for agreeing with me.

Hoold on. You agree that none of what you read or hear about god is true, yet you believe unconditionally.

...who#s the fanatic now?  :D

and he was surprised Zrk2 agreed with you.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: December 26, 2010, 10:49:44 pm »

God is an idea developed by ancient tribes as a way of forcing their ideals onto the rest of their tribe, yet leaving them beyound reproach. It was a way for the ancient shamans to keep their tribes in line and doing what was best for them. It also existed to explain natural phenomenon which were beyond the comprehension of thw people of the time.

The concept has long since become an anachronism and is currently causing more problems than it is solving.

He sent all those miracles man! I mean most mailboxes are full of them :P.

Hoold on. You agree that none of what you read or hear about god is true, yet you believe unconditionally.

...who#s the fanatic now?  :D

Who are ya talking to?

you mean all those miracles buddha made? and he was talking to Zrk2, he's a christian too.

Uh, no. Definitely not.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: December 26, 2010, 10:51:23 pm »

The concept has long since become an anachronism and is currently causing more problems than it is solving.

You say this like cold calculating decisions run the world.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: December 26, 2010, 10:52:26 pm »

Uh, no. Definitely not.

hum... sorry then.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #1043 on: December 26, 2010, 10:53:59 pm »

God is an idea developed by ancient tribes as a way of forcing their ideals onto the rest of their tribe, yet leaving them beyound reproach. It was a way for the ancient shamans to keep their tribes in line and doing what was best for them. It also existed to explain natural phenomenon which were beyond the comprehension of thw people of the time.

Ooh, let's generalize monotheistic religions onto all of religion!

Assuming you mean RELIGION not God (I think most early religions were polytheistic anyway), then it might have been true. But also like you said, it's incredibly inaccurate nowadays. It doesn't really matter anyway, it doesn't apply anymore, and we'd just be arguing about the past.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: December 26, 2010, 10:55:07 pm »

i'd say he says that like cold calculating decisions should run the world

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: December 26, 2010, 10:56:21 pm »

I say I should have some ice cream.

I have no ice cream.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: December 26, 2010, 10:57:47 pm »

But they do.

Uh, no. Definitely not.

hum... sorry then.

No problem, if you believe in G(g?)od, go right ahead.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" -Voltaire

I disagree with the Christian faith on almost every premise (Except 'those who live by the sword, die by the sword'), I would never try to see it banned, merely argue against it with all my strength.

Realmfighter, why the pointlessness?

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: December 26, 2010, 11:01:02 pm »

But they do.

But they don't. Emotion and feeling run the world, and they have nothing to do with cold calculation.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #1048 on: December 26, 2010, 11:03:04 pm »

But they do.

Uh, no. Definitely not.

hum... sorry then.

No problem, if you believe in G(g?)od, go right ahead.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" -Voltaire

I disagree with the Christian faith on almost every premise (Except 'those who live by the sword, die by the sword'), I would never try to see it banned, merely argue against it with all my strength.

Hey look, an actual quote I agree with. I'm actually religious, and believe in something completely different than Christianity (pantheistic and resurrection, woo), but I'll still defend your right to believe it. Of course, it helps when there's no such thing as a hell :P

I like "those who live by the sword, die by the sword" though. There are elements of wisdom in almost every religion.

But they do.

But they don't. Emotion and feeling run the world, and they have nothing to do with cold calculation.
Emotion and feeling really shouldn't though. Justice or mercy, take your pick. I choose justice. Cold calculation isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: December 26, 2010, 11:04:44 pm »

But they do.

The cold calculating decisions of the heads of multinational corporations shape those feelings which run the world, mean those decisions do run the world
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 194