Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187796 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #990 on: December 26, 2010, 08:01:02 pm »

How is theological history "new"s?

In the same way that genies being real and actually just holograms (the lamps are the projectors) left behind by space aliens posing as angels in humanity's distant past is history. The History Channel needs to change its name.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #991 on: December 26, 2010, 08:25:04 pm »

"All religions have a little christianity in them...SO WHY DON'T YOU JUST CONVERT ALREADY, YOU HEATHEN SCUM!".
If by having a little, you mean being a religion at all, then yes. But influence from other religions is expected. On a kind of counterpoint, Christianity has a lot of Judaism and Islam in it :P

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: December 26, 2010, 08:31:03 pm »

On a kind of counterpoint, Christianity has a lot of Judaism and Islam in it :P
On a technical note, it would be more accurate to say that Christianity has Judaism in it and Islam has Christianity in it, given the chronology.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: December 26, 2010, 08:32:23 pm »

Yeah, "Religions all have something in common" would be the more rational line.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #994 on: December 26, 2010, 08:34:40 pm »

Yeah, "Religions all have something in common" would be the more rational line.
Which is about as meaningful as saying "all humans have something in common".

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: December 26, 2010, 08:57:54 pm »

All objects grouped in the same category share certain attributes!

THIS IS NEWS!
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: December 26, 2010, 09:17:51 pm »

After talking a bit more with that girl I quoted earlier, I feel I shouldn't call myself atheist anymore, I don't wanna band myself with people so mind bogginly stupid to say something like this:

hun the code of hamuribi was the first known set of laws and it was nothing to do with religion[/b]

it was from a king who said the reason he can make the laws is cause he was a god

but in reality it was rules from a king

not religious

Really people? Really?
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: December 26, 2010, 09:23:11 pm »

No matter what you call yourself, someone will ruin it for you.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: December 26, 2010, 09:23:44 pm »

@ Dakk: Dude, you're being trolled.

Which is why I prefer ruining it for others instead.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: December 26, 2010, 09:28:19 pm »

After talking a bit more with that girl I quoted earlier, I feel I shouldn't call myself atheist anymore, I don't wanna band myself with people so mind bogginly stupid to say something like this
You aren't banded with them. As you know, atheists aren't a religion or even organized in any way.  It's just a lack of a belief in gods, and you shouldn't bother with the trouble of re-labeling just because some atheists aren't smart.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: December 26, 2010, 09:30:13 pm »

@ Dakk: Dude, you're being trolled.

Which is why I prefer ruining it for others instead.

I would think so if I didn't know this girl in real life, she's like this with her family and other friends aswell, she goes to college with me.
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: December 26, 2010, 09:33:47 pm »

You're all being tolled? Thoroughly?

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: December 26, 2010, 09:34:17 pm »

just to clarify, no one was forcing her to say merry Christmas.

No one forced her to celebrate Christmas.

And sworn enemy? Really?

I think the problem is that she's an idiot.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: December 26, 2010, 09:44:09 pm »

After talking a bit more with that girl I quoted earlier, I feel I shouldn't call myself atheist anymore, I don't wanna band myself with people so mind bogginly stupid to say something like this:

hun the code of hamuribi was the first known set of laws and it was nothing to do with religion[/b]

it was from a king who said the reason he can make the laws is cause he was a god

not religious

Really people? Really?
I don't really see a problem with that.  I mean, there's probably older examples of laws, but a historical slipup isn't a reason to disown a label.

Her point seems to be "The king gave those laws, not god, so we don't need god to be moral".

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: December 26, 2010, 09:47:05 pm »

not religious

Really people? Really?
I don't really see a problem with that.  I mean, there's probably older examples of laws, but a historical slipup isn't a reason to disown a label.

Her point seems to be "The king gave those laws, not god, so we don't need god to be moral".

The problem is that she made it she said that with the intention of saying religion did not affect society in any way even in old times.
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 194