Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187835 times)

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #975 on: December 25, 2010, 11:00:03 am »

that blog is so full of fallacies i dont even!
but i wont dispute s-nta's existence on His day. tomorrow, perhaps...

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: December 25, 2010, 12:15:26 pm »

that blog is so full of fallacies i dont even!
but i wont dispute s-nta's existence on His day. tomorrow, perhaps...

Yes that name is far to holy to write down :P.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: December 25, 2010, 05:53:38 pm »

Mutings come and go, but a good rant lasts a lifetime. What did I miss on the last thirty pages?

SK: Now with juicy avatar!
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #978 on: December 25, 2010, 05:59:23 pm »

If you really want to know, you can look yourself, but we talked about the Watchmaker Argument for a while, and managed to establish why it was fallacious. Other than that, just a bunch of random other things. There was the usual Christianity things though. Don't really know what exactly we talked about.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: December 25, 2010, 07:55:45 pm »

I'm not really big on reading posts that I would have replied to...but couldn't! Alas, the waste!

But now - 30 pages for some moldy old teleological argument? At least you dispelled that one.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: December 25, 2010, 08:38:08 pm »

While we're on the subject, anyone got a good candidate for the most effective post explaining the problems with that argument?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: December 25, 2010, 11:15:44 pm »

Just letting off some steam. This person I met some days ago who's also an atheist went insane on me because I wished her a merry christmas.
I just wished her a merry christmas, and then she goes on about how's she's so pissed about how everyone is wishing her a merry christmas. I ask her why, and she reaffirms that she's atheist and has the right to not participate in any religious stuff, then I just say something along the lines of "lololol its just christmas, I participate on it because its fun", then she says these things, using these words:

"Think what you will i am at war with religion"

"I am it's sworn enemy"

"Your just as bad as someone who believes in religion because you refuse to combat it"

"If your not part of the solution your part of the problem"

"Religion is bad religion is the cause of more death than anything else"

"they are brainwashed husks that are foolish"

Then I sorta say something along the lines of "Uhhh but like, doesn't actively waging war against religion and hating religious people just because you think religion is evil, put you on the same level as the people you hate so much, like, fanatic religious militants who want to convert you at all costs?"

Then she goes like this:

"you fight fire with fire"

"and you can't be wrong"

This is direct copypasta from the chat window, nothing has been altered. I actualy missed a few things because the chat engine wouldn't keep everything logged.

Now I know why some people just flinch away if you mention you're atheist. I'm atheist, not anti-theist.
Its even more ironic that while she once prized herself on her clarity of mind and ability to carry intellectual coversations, she ust refused to talk to me after I pointed out just how ridiculous everything she was saying is.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 11:17:31 pm by Dakk »
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: December 25, 2010, 11:20:55 pm »

That was the "rabid atheist" I earlier indicated.

The passion for "not religion" is comparable to religion.

But this is just crazy. I feel that many Christians have gone off the track, so to speak, for example: Loving you're enemies. I pray for the forgiveness of my enemies. And that ain't brainwashing.

"If your not part of the solution your part of the problem"

Strangely this sounds quite a bit like it's straight from Scripture.

"He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad."

The son of G-d himself said that.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 11:29:38 pm by Urist is dead tome »

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: December 25, 2010, 11:30:53 pm »

I'm the not kind of lets all be friends d'awww <3333 guy, but seriously, war on religion?. Isn't that jumping from the slippery slope into the valley of batshit crazy? I'm not atheist because I hate religion, I'm atheist because I can't believe in something if there's no tangible proof of its existence, I only have some resentment for religion when its used as an excuse to separate people, kill and wage wars. I have buddhist, jewish, christian and even a few satanist friends, wouldnt treating them differently just because they believe in something I do not put me in the same level as religious people who despise atheists for not believing?

Why saying God is a bad thing? Why wishing people a merry christmas just because is a bad thing? Why not flat out denying the evidence that jesus may have in fact existed make me a blind misguided fool? Thats as silly as being hated because you don't believe in something.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 11:37:08 pm by Dakk »
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: December 25, 2010, 11:34:34 pm »

Exactly! Where I live no one is really for or against religion or atheism. 'cause no one cares.

A war on religion is the same as Jihad.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: December 26, 2010, 08:17:05 am »

It's not a war, it's a great pruning. There's too many religious of too few different types -> cultural diversity is suboptimal -> adherents to the world religions must be turned away from their faiths, either to non-religion, to found their own, new religions, or to small, unusual religions.

Or well, I suppose one could hypothetically take it from the population management angle rather than from the purely cultural one, in which case simply reducing the population of the more wide-spread and homogeneous religious would also be fine...but I didn't say that.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: December 26, 2010, 05:18:56 pm »

Phew... vacation and several pages later...

I saw something on the "news" that bothered me.  Not sure exactly why, but they dedicated a half an hour on the "news" channel to discuss the three wise men and how all religions are tied together.  I turned the channel because I wasn't really interested and turned back every few minutes to see if they moved on... 30 minutes of the "news."  It almost prompted me to write a letter.  How is theological history "new"s?
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: December 26, 2010, 05:20:49 pm »

I dunno... there isn't much to say about the wise men, is there?

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: December 26, 2010, 05:23:48 pm »

I dunno... there isn't much to say about the wise men, is there?
I only heard snippets, but some guy was trying to equate the light to the baby jesus and spice traders from Asia and I guess I should have paid more attention, but I was more upset that they spent so much time and his end result was that "all religions have a little Christianity in them."  (His words...)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: December 26, 2010, 05:37:07 pm »

"All religions have a little christianity in them...SO WHY DON'T YOU JUST CONVERT ALREADY, YOU HEATHEN SCUM!".

Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 194